Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
It's worth noting in the light of Panzer's search that I did an iPhone App Store search for "games for boys", and all I got were, well, games.

Captain_duck posted:

I'm thinking of doing a video on the history of girl games, in which i show girl games from different console era's to see how the graphics and gameplay (d)evolves. But I'm having problems finding interesting games to show, especially in the pre-PS1 days.

This pretty excellent Polygon article about the rise of games and game marketing being specifically targeted at boys (and men) posits that it happened in the 90s, around the time the PS1 came along. So arguably before that girl games were just games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I've heard that a common warning for people getting into marketing is "your social circle must include people not in marketing", because otherwise you will go completely insane and not even realize it.

I think that applies to all industries. I work in insurance IT, and I know a few professional actuaries who are incapable of seeing the world in anything other than terms of risk and probability.

Also, as a male person, I know several male people who do not have any female friends. These are the male people I tend not to bother talking about gender politics with.

In summary: not having diversity in your life makes your brain rubbish.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Erotic Role-Playing, if I had to hazard a guess.

"I put on my robe and wizard hat..."

Vifs posted:

What have you done to me!

Why can't I help thinking that your new avatar is actually your character from the Tony Hawk Underground LPs in later years?

Really enjoying this thread, though I place the blame fully on Panzer for my new High School Story addiction.

Kloro fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 25, 2014

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

The robot dog game made me incredibly angry, simply because as soon as I saw the title screen I thought of several much cooler games that would involve teaching kids actual coding skills. Like virtual LOGO with drag-and-drop instructions, for example. Which I really hope exists somewhere.

Given that this was a corporate game, by the way, I'm pretty sure that none of the in-game text or design came from the coders. That "cool" was chosen by a marketing exec and dictated to the coders, and I'd be willing to bet they hated it even more than you do.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Rahonavis posted:

"Forward 50 Right 90 Forward 50 Right 90 Forward 50 Right 90 Forward 50 Right 90 - Yay I made a square! Can we play something else?"

(Always seethed with envy at the classrooms who had the version of the program where the drat "turtle" actually looked like a turtle.)

Tell me that having to program your robot dog to perfectly pass a dog obstacle course doing tricks in appropriate places wouldn't be cool. :colbert:

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

This thread is amazing, also. I hope you check out some of the surprisingly :spergin: horse games that are floating around out there. There was an LP of Petz Horsez 2 a year or two ago, and I remember being pretty impressed by how far they took "taking care of horses adventure, you know, for the girls", despite the game's general jankiness. It's like a made for TV movie, in video game form, but like with also really weirdly detailed equine hygiene mini-games.

It's in the archive. Missed it the first time round, so I'll have to check it out.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

It's a nice touch that the Angry Birds teeth cleaning game uses the version of the red bird that was transformed into female by adding long eyelashes and a pink bow. Sorry girls, you don't get the one who appears in the actual real game!

Kloro fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 29, 2014

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

"Microwave oven" is what people over here would call a microwave if they were being formal, but it is just a name. And trying to bake a cake in a microwave would not go well at all.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

A microwave oven is pretty common in student flats in my experience, at least in the UK. It's just a microwave with a conventional heating element as an option.

I forgot about those! Those are usually called combination microwaves though, aren't they? I can see why a translator would be confused.

I've never had one - do they operate the way the ones in the games do, with a timer and a digital temperature setting?

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

I think that Pretty In Pink game (and probably the Dirty Dancing one) was aimed at parents buying their children games about things the parents liked when they were kids. I'd assume that's a pretty solid market.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

DWK posted:

Years ago there was a Lego dress-up thing that offered more choices than most of these "games". Wish I could find it now, that thing was awesome!

Presumably not this one, because it's awful. This one isn't much better, but it does have a bow!

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

The fact that they didn't name that guy from Monster High "Flash Gorgon" makes me immediately lose all respect for the show.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Bacchante posted:

That was nice. Why isn't there a Xena game? I'd play that. Oh, wait, I just realized that by saying that I have crafted a game from the quantum ether. Someone is going to pop and say, "Well, actually..." and it's going to be awful.

Well, I found it on a listicle of 5 Terrible Video Game TV Show Adaptations, if that's any indication.

Behold Xena in 90s PS1 form.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Kojiro posted:

So, uh... does anyone else go back to the BEAUTIFUL CAR! music on occasion?

According to Shukterhouse Jive on Youtube, the music is "Romania Soared Up" by "One Hundred", but Google is not producing anything that would back that up or give any more information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

This has been one of the best LPs ever, as well as an awesome thread. Thanks DVac (and everyone else!).

• Locked thread