Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gegi posted:

What message does 'win girls by jumping on mushrooms and killing turtles' send?

Being persistent (also violent towards fungi) will get you laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's festive! :downs:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Six Of Spades posted:

Oh for real? Do you have a link to the article or whatever, I'd love to read it in full.

I hadn't heard that from Volition, but I do know it's not uncommon in games where you're given the choice of a default, rather than prompted to make a character. Bioware posted stats showing that not only do most players not use the female version of Shepard, most of them don't even bother picking anything but the default dude and default class (Soldier, ie, the most boring COD/Gears-esque class). Like, it's only 20% of people who put even a bare minimum of effort into using those options. I don't remember if they gave stats for Dragon Age 2, but I bet it'd be similar, with the default guy Warrior.

Back on topic, I hope someone uses this thread to look at some hidden object games. They're not my cup of tea, but there's a surprising variety in them, and they've kind of filled a lot of the niche point & click adventure games used to, Telltale and DoubleFine notwithstanding. Most of them seem to be aiming for either the Nancy Drew set, or the 'mom' demographic that can't get enough John Grisham or Dan Brown.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 22, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

I think this guy was on a show on the Discovery Channel. Can't quite put my finger on it...

"Here's a shot of Jamie during his male model days in the late 70s. I believe he once did a line of coke off the small of Twiggy's back during Paris Fashion Week."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

There's a good Extra Credits episode about Hidden Object games. It's kind of interesting how despite being a massive market, it's so well separated from the sort of gaming environment we tend to think of. The video doesn't really say anything groundbreaking, but it might be worth a look if you're interested.

With that in mind, despite being well outside the target demographic, I'm interested. Any recommendations?

Yeah, Extra Credits is what got me to stop being so annoyed when I see those games in the PC section at stores. (I always think it's a more traditional adventure game, and I like those) They're slotted into that minimal violence/story-based gameplay zone that point & clicks used to dominate. You can kind of see the influence in Telltale's last Law & Order game. It's evidence hunt sections are hidden object screens.

Yes, I own that game. :colbert: It has Detective Briscoe in it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sunning posted:

I remember Danger by Design had this terrifying jump scare that stayed with me for weeks. Ghost of Thornton Hall is also really creepy mostly to its sound design.

Will Wright talked about how the Sims enjoyed great success with both genders. The Sims is essentially a doll house in disguise. You can not only play it as a Kid Cad style house builder but also as a social game with virtual dolls. I know a lot of guys who don't play with dolls but were love in the life sim aspect of the game. And the dress-up.

The Maxis heads were reluctant to back the game. They said ‘What is this? He wants to do an interactive doll house? The guy is out of his mind.’ ” Doll houses were for girls, and girls didn’t play video games. They wanted to market it as an architecture sim in line with their other simulation games. However, publisher EA gave Wright a lot of support due to his reputation and its acquisition of Maxis.

I think there is some usefulness to drawing a distinction between 'game' and 'toy' in this context. It doesn't excuse the cheapness, crappy art or bad representations in the dress-up and makeover stuff, but complaining because there's no 'goal' is a bit of a dead end. By that logic, Minecraft isn't a game. And before anyone says anything, none of these flash things are aiming at being as complex as Minecraft or other more traditionally styled sandbox 'games' like the Sim series, they're intended to be messed with for like 20 minutes at a time, you see some advertising, and then that's you until tomorrow, or next week or whatever.

I'm not defending the blandness or the body image stuff, but I think we have to divorce the 'game' from 'video game', otherwise we're just getting mad because there's no 'You Win!' screen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Like others have said, I often play female characters when given the option just for variety. Most games force you to be an American man, so if I have the option to be something else I'll take it. Also, when it comes to customisation, women often get a much better selection of clothes.

In a contemporary setting like Saints Row (and on this note, why no lady crooks in GTA?), that's partly a social construct thing, I think. If you play a girl, and I'm another dude what plays ladies when I can, you can usually wear all the boy clothes and all the girl clothes and it's considered viable. It's not coded as 'silly' to wear jeans. But guys can only really wear the male clothing, unless you're specifically going for a drag look, either seriously or comedically, which limits you.

Basically, chick in trousers is considered 'normal'. Guy in dress is still considered 'weird' or 'funny'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey now, it's not like he admitted to anything truly worthy of condemnation, like watching My Little Pony! :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

azren posted:

I just came up with a game concept that makes me wish I knew how to program:

Our heroine (we'll call her Becky, I guess) is an average girl going through high school. Her parents are pretty wealthy, so she lives in a mansion. One day, some criminals break into the house looking to rob the family blind. Mom and Dad manage to hide Becky in the attic's hidden saferoom, but they are captured by the crooks shortly afterwards. Now, with her parents held hostage, Becky must save the day.

Her first step is to make it to her room, where you get to choose her outfit. The clothing you select has different effects on gameplay; if you choose to wear high heels, you move more slowly and make more noise, but might be able to use them for other purposes (I dunno, I haven't developed the idea very far yet). Loose clothing gives better freedom of movement, but can get caught or grabbed more easily. You can use the makeup in Becky's room to improvise defensive measures, most notably hairspray.

The boss fight is just a recreation of when Patricia Arquette kills James Gandolfini in True Romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zoe posted:

What are you talking about? In the 24th century, mankind has evolved and become enlightened enough to move past such primitive ideas as sexism.

It's not like they just put Troi on the bridge to give useless advice and get mindraped constantly, she's as necessary a part of the crew as any of the male characters and does lots of important stuff, like...

...well okay I'll have to get back to you on that one.

She flew the ship that one time! :haw:

• Locked thread