Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Tiggum posted:

In a lot of cases this "Is it a real game?" question exists basically to deny legitimacy to video games that aren't marketed to the standard teenage boy audience, but I think the game/toy distinction can be useful as long as it's understood that there's nothing wrong with toys and they're not "the lovely version of games for girls and other mentally deficient people". Toys are fun, games are fun, and it's interesting to look at the fact that a lot of what are marketed to girls are on the toy side rather than the game side.
Speaking as a game designer, I'd agree that most of these dress up simulators are toys. They're pretty lovely toys (okay the horse and dog one was pretty great), but they're digital toys much like SimCity is a toy. It's something that gives you tools to create but doesn't set a hard goal, which allows you to express yourself creatively. I'd say the ones with actual goals (the date ones, ugh) are the real monsters because while they follow the concepts of an actual game, they do so in a horribly misogynistic manner. The hygiene simulators.... they're not games OR toys. They're an interactive instruction manual.

Tiggum posted:

Also, I can't believe no one's mentioned the best girl game ever: Saints Row 2.
Speaking of, there are currently TWO LPs of the best girl game going on right now.

If I may inject a personal tale of a girl game from long past, I had (warning: terrible sound) Crystal's Pony Tale for the Sega Genesis. I played the hell out of that game with my little sister, and even though there's just 3 options for "dress up", I still pondered over that screen every playthrough. It might've helped that there was an actual (bad) game to play as your pretty pretty pony after the dress up.

vv Well there goes my next 40 minutes.

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

TK-31 posted:

What I'm trying to say here is that all these 'girl games' that only have dressup options could stand to make boatloads of money just by adding a mediocre but still fun game on top of that. But it seems that no, even that would be trying too hard for them.
Conversely, would Flirting in the Street be GOTY if it had fabulous dressup options for our eye-laser-shooting protagonist?

gegi posted:

How does Gaia Online work? I know there are people who make money doing Gaia-related commissions somehow or other, but I'm not sure if you can actually create items to go into the game. I have the impression that the Gaia audience skews female and does enjoy dressing up their avatars but I've never played the game myself.
If I recall Gaia works by making users play minigames or spending cash to get "Gold", and then that is used to buy anime/videogame/pop culture ripoff clothing and accessories for your avatar. You then construct elaborate costumes for said avatar and proceed to roleplay on their forums? Also everything costs exorbitant amounts of gold so you have to spend real money to get anywhere because good luck playing minigames for 4 straight months. Source: I played Gaia for a week once upon a time. Pretty sure the dressup/RP is the main game.

Oh speaking of minigames/dressup hybrids, what would we classify Neopets as? I believe that one was much more gender neutral but I haven't seen it in the longest time.
EDIT: Okay just checked the site and Neopets has a stock market now. :psyduck:

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 19, 2014

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Innovacious posted:

fake edit: I could not stop myself, I went and played it to make this gif real edit: :nws: maybe?
That is... wow. They really felt the need to emphasize that swirling down the drain animation. :stare:

That programming game seemed pretty fun actually, if nothing at all like real programming. Real programming wouldn't make a good game anyway (except for us uber-nerds). It must be ripping off some form of puzzle game because it seems *too* polished for a flash website girl game. And also the "bug" being called a "lock", which is what it might've been called in the original IP. Also you were super good at it; I guess that makes you a Data "DeVa" :v:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Ramos posted:

It's much cooler to imagine programmers being techno wizards that just bend reality to their will via a keyboard.
Actually that's pretty much what programmers do! I type thing into computer and computer does exactly what I say every time and I feel so powerful muahahahaha.

I wanted to imagine that specific sequences of bits triggered animations in that robot dog but I'm pretty sure it's just random.

Nethris posted:

That cheerleader game with the sudden straight drops the cheerleaders went into partway into their descents screws with attempts to try to estimate trajectories, turning it into even more trial and error than it needed to be. Hell, it doesn't even seem to let you adjust velocity at all - ripping off Artillery style games isn't THAT difficult and would have at least made that game more amusing.
Sorry but I just lost it when my mind squished/morphed this all together into "Cheerleader Artillery Game". Now THAT is a game I would play.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
36 is alright, but is usually slightly shivering. If the scale on the thermometer is linear, it tops out at 43 degrees Celsius, which is normally very fatal (it's equivalent to 109 degrees Fahrenheit). At that point you suffer from possibly vomiting, continuous convulsions, shock, irregular heartbeat and/or total collapse of the circulatory system. The chances of getting out of that condition without permanent brain damage are slim, if you survive. You're probably not in any condition to kiss, is what I'm saying.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Your keyboard is so pink! :swoon:

Does 123peppy.com have drawing tutorials for left-handed people? This might be a little too right-centric for my tastes and abilities.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Nidoking posted:

It was a math pun.

I approve of math puns. Unfortunately the fashion industry has decided to sidestep the absurdity that would be negative sizing and opt for sizes 0 and 00, the existences of which make me just as angry. Vanity sizing, size inflation, whatever you call it, I hate it all.

dijon du jour posted:

e: And why not here's a Monster High Burger. Notice the complete lack of hamburger patty.

Yeah, girls, I know you wanted meat on your burgers but how else are you going to keep that rail-thin, Monster High physique?
Not with that carb-filled bun you won't. You'll need to drop the cheese too. Might as well eat a salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Devious Vacuum posted:

I didn't know which ones were going to have the most impact when I recorded them.

Don't lie; you knew games like Happy Cute Puppy and Beautiful Car were going to make waves.

• Locked thread