Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Gensuki posted:

Transgender denotes pre-op, whether or not they plan to/want to go through that path. Transsexual means they have had SRS.
Of course people will always have a preference whether or not they agree with the popular/proper terminology. I do as much every day.
Er what? Is there a source you're using for what I assume you're suggesting are the "proper" definitions for transsexual and transgender?

Going back to Azren's question though, I'll quote the Transgender megathread OP (it's in e/n, ps don't read it, or the link)

Mootiman posted:

I would like to let you know, from someone on the inside (ie I am trans), that trans nomenclature is in general a (often self important) minefield that if you can avoid, you probably should. Ultimately you and your mom are both right: this is why everyone involved pretty much just uses trans. Different people have differing opinions on what is correct for them, too. If you had to use one blindly, transgender (as an adjective) is probably the safest, for reasons that go on forever. To be clear, listen to and respect what people ask for, but there is (currently) no universal answer, not by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Gensuki posted:

LGBT club.
The dictionary.
What words mean.

My club may be wrong, my dictionary may be wrong and my understanding of english may be wrong. I'm sorry.

Err, OK? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you are 'wrong', and that that is OK, although 'the dictionary' and 'what words mean' seem a little harsh - these are pretty new words for emerging communities and definitions have sort of changed and developed a lot over the past few decades, so maybe you just had an old definition? The google definitions are in line with what I'm used to; transgender and transsexual.

fake edit: haha, just saw your edit. Don't feel bad, this is a place of peace and harmony! Or... something?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Devious Vacuum posted:

I don't think Twitch will upload it for me - maybe it's too long? Maybe it's better that way, though. Maybe Twitch knows that no more My Little Pony needs to be uploaded to YouTube.

I imagine you could use something like http://www.twitchtools.com/video-download.php to get the videos and upload them yourself.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
I... don't want to be a sourpuss or anything, but I'm genuinely surprised at how much praise this is getting. I mean, yes, it was absolutely fun in a bullshitting-over-bad-video-games kind of way, and a good thread, but the sheer terribleness of the messages we send to our children? I guess maybe it just feels like none of this ought to be news to anyone, considering that this is by no means the bottom of that barrel. Perhaps it's that the idea of having kids and what I would hope to teach them and shield them from is a thing I've been thinking about a lot recently, but, people only just learning about this now is actually a little terrifying, but maybe we're just at different positions in our lives.

I guess part of me also worries that, if girl games as a genre were not all so incredibly loathsome - a point all can agree on - would the message be as well received? If this LP has got you thinking, and you seek out more things like this (eg feminism), be empathetic and have and an open mind about the issues that people will tell you that they face, because they might not be so immediately understandable. A core issue with things like girl games is the monkeys they put on your back, the nagging thoughts before you take actions and the expectations that you feel other people have of you. The real lasting damage is from the insidious messages society leaves inside your head, mostly when you're young and vulnerable. These stay with you - even when you grow up and know better - they're still there, inside your head, reminding you before you speak up in the board room, or before you post in that application, even before you eat that chocolate bar. You can't really just brush feelings like that off of your shoulders.

• Locked thread