Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Whuff, it's tough to write about a hard issue like this without sounding like a clod. The saturation of these games is, indeed, a terrible sight to behold. Apparently, according to these market researched and targeted sites, terrifying in and of itself, girls love [deep breath] buttrock, bad pop, ponies, puppies, as much makeup and dresses as humanly possible, to look hideously deformed in some fashion, and for all cultures and nations to look like slightly recoloured versions of each other. Way to go.

But it doesn't help that many sites are also using texts that are... Well, a bit dubious. Take a good example, here's the British Council's copy of an article called "Girl's games". The first site this article recommends I can't appear to find, the second doesn't really deal with computer games, and one seems to have gone mostly defunct after 11 years of hard work.

Still, it's an interesting subject, DVac, and I look forward to seeing more videos about this highly biased field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

It boggles my mind that this kind of 'pay money to skip gameplay' design is so popular.

I mean, you're literally paying money to not play the game.

Basically, it's a game specific version of our old buddy, the Skinner Box. Okay, this way is really grindy and painful and unfun... But wait, if I give up something of value for quicker progression, I can have fun!

...Oh, poo poo, wait, I just spent £30 on luxuries. :argh: drat YOU, SKINNER BOX! :argh:

To clarify a little bit, the punishment is the gameplay being boring. The action is spending money, and the reward is... poo poo you don't need (EDIT: Except for false self-esteem, yaaaay!). Marketing, folks!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 20, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

I had a big long post to go here. I'm sure it was insightful and stuff, maybe a little personal, but I'm sure it had good points. Then I realised, I can make these points better, and quicker:

- We're taught to fear the different in schools, through such wonderful programs as "Stranger Danger" (an example from my childhood, but there are still analagous things being taught by parents and teachers alike)
- This has unintended side effects to personal expression, creativity, and the like. Namely, people try to crush them through bullying, disapproval, and social isolation. Even people belonging to the most well adjusted circles of family and friends can probably attest to something like this happening at least once with people who are generally cool.
- This just supports my two personal pet theories: That humans, collectively, are nigh-irredeemable assholes, and that the only thing that really makes us special is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in our heads at the same time, usually with a conditional modifier that makes the main statement a lie (My personal favourite for this is: I'm not racist, BUT. Sounds like racism, or a lie, and it sometimes is, then you realise there are people who genuinely believe they're not racist, but hold racist beliefs.) EDIT 2: I didn't explain this too well, hope somebody understands what I'm getting at.

EDIT: As an aside, I've been inwardly gritting my teeth every video, because this "You must look like this" thing truly pisses me off. I also know that I'm not much no better.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 31, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Actually, I really like the anime pretty boy game (not the final fantasy one, the one that explicitly seems to be about creating an anime pretty boy). I've always wanted an anime pretty boy all of my own, and now...

I think that sums up all the core stuff about me (amazing, that they have a Wales friendly option!)... Except my magnificent goatee... And when I looked for something which allows a magnificent stache/goatee on DressupGames, what do I find?

gently caress all, that's what I find. In fact, I could find no dress up game that allowed me to recreate my wonderful goatee!

So I took solace in the fact that, eerily, I am easy to create in The Sims 3. It helped me move on that, as Admiral Curtiss says, the UIs for these games are, in general, godawful.

But, uh... I'm perfectly cool with the argument that human creativity may well be unique on Earth. Maybe. Arguably.

EDIT FOR REALTALK: Those... really weren't too offensive, so congrats on finding things that, while not specifically gendered toward women, could be argued as "good girl games". Relatively.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

So, Cool Teacher sorta reminde me of this guy, so... I decided to see if there were any dressup games based on Cabaret...

This was the closest I managed. And the music loop was horrifying.

(Note: It was really hard to click on certain items, especially near the red dress, because the hit detection always chose the dresses if it could. So extra fun!)

This same game is on about seven different sites under three different names.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Oh hey, there's another Otome Visual Novel on Kickstarter! It involves Incubi, and... Is it wrong that I suddenly feel bad for posting this?

Naaaaaahhhh...

vvvv DAGNABBIT, BISCUIT, I TOLD YOU NOT TO TELL ANYBODY!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 18, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Makrond posted:

On a related note, is it bad that I thought these games telling young girls that they have to spend hundreds of dollars on cosmetic products in order to be accepted members of society would at least give makeup options that you'd see in the real world? I feel like that says something about my cultural expectations.

I've seen it used in some circles that aren't Scene kids, but there's another group who use this sort of thing constantly. Also, blue and purple are quite common in the goth scene, and pink is quite common among candy ravers I've met.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

YourAverageJoe posted:

The amount of bodyshaming to these games is just plain ridiculous.

The problem isn't so much that it's ridiculous... It's that this ridiculous is still considered largely normal, and many people don't think it's worth commenting on or getting angry about.

Nidoking posted:

After watching this video, I think I understand. "Plus-sized" must mean that the woman's measurements are positive numbers. I suppose that means that instead of an hourglass figure, a non-plus-sized woman must look something like a Klein bottle.

I think that is a pretty positive message for girls.

So, er... that's positive, huh? Wait, no, that would be bodyshaming people with their... I don't even know what they'd have stuck up their rear end and through their... No, wait, that... :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

I felt little pains in my heart when I thought how much money might have been spent on that green goop that would have been better used for...

...Nothing. Nothing at all. Both videos are a good ending point, DVac, look forward to seeing this in archives!

• Locked thread