Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Warrior Pinkie Pie and "Flirting in the Street" killed me.

But drat, these games are just upsetting. The saddest part is that they are all basically the same. Like there is literally nothing else the programmers can imagine a girl would ever want to pretend to do other than wash her face and put on clothes. Riveting. Between that and slaying monsters or exploring a magical land or raising dragons, how could I choose?!

I never suspected that eyebrow-plucking would figure in so often as a game mechanic but here we are. :sigh:

Are you planning on doing any licensed games? Those were the Games For Girls I grew up with (more accurately, popped in the disc drive once, did something so insipid and stereotypical I can't even remember it, got to see a unicorn dance, then tossed the disk into the bottom of the pile to play more Tetris and Battle Chess) and a cursory glance in the aisles of Big Box shows they are as abysmal as ever.

As far as the "Are these games" issue, a better question might be, "If these are meant to be games, how the hell do you win?" (Though come to mention it, I don't think you can win...)

E: VV The saddest thing is, I knew the answer would boil down to "Money, dear boy boid," but I had just enough faith in people not to believe it. :cry:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

reignonyourparade posted:

In episode one you made your response to "now what would you make as a girl game" that was "well I wouldn't make a girl game" but anecdotally I don't think you really understand who plays these. I remember when my sister was younger she'd spend about half her weekly allotted two hours of internet time playing basically normal flash games and the other half specifically googling dress up games.

So I guess what you'd really want to do would be make a dress up game that actually is a game and doesn't reinforce lovely expectations of femininity, off the top of my head some sort of "super spy dress up" where you have to dress the spy up as whatever she has to pretend to be to do her spying? There'd be an actual game there, it wouldn't even be that far off from the 'dream date' game you showed off but it wouldn't really reinforce the lovely things the other games do.

Or an actress who must play different characters and wear setting-appropriate costumes. Or -goodness- a field biologist who needs to dress for different environs and gather the appropriate equipment. And any of these could be the first level of a more elaborate game (spy interacts with different people and gathers information, actress memorizes her lines and discusses the process of making the movie with the other filmmakers on set, scientist explores the environment taking photos and asking questions and observing. Crap, I just made myself want to play every one of these!)

Funny thing is, I just remembered what games me and my girl friends were crazy about in middle school. One of them was a "story maker" where you had a wide variety of characters to place in a sort of storyboard; you wrote text below the pictures and some of the stuff we came up with was hilarious. (If anyone can think of the name of this game based off my lovely memory, I owe you a sketch of your favorite maniraptor.) The other was, of all things, "Amazon Trail". Reason? Well, the proto-"Pokemon Snap" mini game where you took pictures of the animals and plants in the rainforest, of course! It was cheesy as hell but really fun for its time. (Though the having to navigate the river *just so* parts could go right to hell.) Funny thing is, both games were completely gender neutral.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 18, 2014

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Camel Pimp posted:

The Selena Gomez game has got to be a joke... right? It was made to be a joke. Please don't tell me otherwise. And the eye laser game. I mean, I get all the other lovely dress ups stemming from a stereotypical understanding of girls by idiots, but those two games could not have been made to taken at face value.

The thing about those games in particular that makes them so haunting is that there is *so* much ingrained sexism in dumb Flash games about women Internet society in general, if we're being honest that it's hard to tell if they're meant to be parodies or not! We're going to need a lady version of :shepicide: before this thread is all over.

E: Also, seconding and thirding what That Irish Guy said.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 18, 2014

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Agent Interrobang posted:

At least we had Samus Aran, until Other M hosed it all up. :smithicide:

Having never played the Metroid games, my understanding of Samus is basically "Ripley but she's in a video game". I... I don't want to know what happens in Other M do I...? :ohdear:

Cyan Dag posted:

I think we totally played that game too, and it was called Storybook Weaver? There was also another weird game called Wiggins in Storyland, with minigames and also a story mode that worked in similar ways but was more limited than Storybook Weaver. My sister just reminded me that you could also force-feed Wiggins fruit juice until he barfed, so that there's my girl gaming history.

Never heard of Wiggins but Storybook Weaver rings a bell. I'll have to look it up later.

As far as the "Girly girl vs. Tomboyish" play discussion, I may go into more detail when I can get on a computer but for now, imagine Invicta dinosaur models rubbing shoulders with the original My Little Ponies.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

dijon du jour posted:

Remember this is your reward for beating the game. Congratulations, here's some doll poop! :bravo:

Perfectly egg-shaped doll poop, yet! Barbie, what are you feeding this child anyway? Unless this is just what whatever is going inside a Barbie doll's mutant abdomen produces? :gonk:

E:

unpronounceable posted:

I don't know what LOGO is...

"Forward 50 Right 90 Forward 50 Right 90 Forward 50 Right 90 Forward 50 Right 90 - Yay I made a square! Can we play something else?"

(Always seethed with envy at the classrooms who had the version of the program where the drat "turtle" actually looked like a turtle.)

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2014

• Locked thread