Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Edit: Never mind, personal computer issues just flipped out.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is there much of a difference between most of the mass-produced garbage you can find on the net or is it just hard to weed out and/or build up to the true wild cards of VIDEO DAMES like Eye Laser Flirting? Because I'm having a harder time trying to see the subliminal or direct propaganda behind the final game of video two. It's deceptively closer to an actualized game than what we've seen, but it also seems to carry this contradictory message that you should flirt like a hungry black widow with men. Not keeping in line with the usual "meek and mild Disney princess beauty" described in the guardian article.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 18, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Amidiri posted:

Out of curiosity, I tried playing the Hollywood Beauty Secrets game to see if you could get the cool meter up all the way.

So far my experimentation has indicated that you can't. You always fail.

Edit: Okay it seems like you can win the 'movie set' scenario but the red carpet always boos you off the stage...

You're never good enough. Only the chosen elect can be perfect women!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh boy, look at these size 10+ hogs!:yum: Fat Party dress up was as close as these could get to reality or almost attempting to make a positive message - despite whatever that weird position the template was making, but its still all hollow shame games by projecting that you're fatty fat when you've hit double digit dress sizes. God help you if you're not officially a kawaii cute fat girl or if these game makers ever get the idea to put health tip pop-ups on these games when you switch around clothing or if we go through the internet looking glass on this subject.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It isn't like TOR did that good a job with fat guys anyway, they just look like they're overweight and muscular with how inflated their chest comes off as. But at least dudes have even the option of looking like not perfectly swole weight lifters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
This issue is close to me and I’ve had some difficulty gathering my thoughts on this matter alone, but if you’ll allow me to talk about what I’ve had some help to realize, I’d appreciate it, thread.

The unfortunate thing about Size Acceptance is that, much like the greater problem of dress-up or other atypical GIRL GAMES, whatever positive intentions they may attempt to carry out are still being sabotaged by elements of society at large trying to keep people thinking in terms of whether or not they are attractive to others. That people should be concerned about what current, or even historic attraction trends are at play because they are clearly what judge the value of a human being. To use the recent thread update as an example, even though most of these depictions of young women have become whatever society determines is fat for a girl, “At least they can still be pretty to someone by dressing themselves up right”. This sort of harmful reasoning is bullshit no matter the context. Attraction shouldn't be a signifier of self-acceptance or show of worth from the outside.

Conversely, telling someone a variation of “don’t worry, I think you’re pretty because you’re big” or whatever won't magically heal anyone of any anxieties they hold about their own body. Tall and short, wide or narrow, none of these should be accepted only because they’re the standard of beauty. While your heart might be in the right place, your attempt at a compliment still comes from the same messed up worldview as before.

Sadly, however, the other side of the conversation is compromised by people who only care about this issue because they’re into fat or whatever, thus the environment becomes much more toxic than people realizing that there are fashion and health industries profiting off of human shame. It becomes a pissing match between what two sides (if you can even call them that) determine what makes someone attractive, and anyone caught in the crossfire either has to side with the "shamers", because it’s normal and healthy, or go the side that at least will find them sexually appealing.

Body acceptance should be a pursuit of good health and happiness on one’s personal terms without anyone breathing down your neck about what is attractive or acceptable to anyone else.

• Locked thread