Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Most of the Monster High characters are typical archetypes, but each of them have a few traits beyond "love of shopping and makeup" or whatever. The plant monster, Venus, is a radical environmentalist. Draculaura, the vampire, is a vegan. Operetta, the phantom, has a passion for rockabilly music. Even the more shallow characters often demonstrate a distaste for disloyalty or for spreading rumours. More or less, Monster High is about embracing your uniqueness.

Since it is all geared toward selling dolls, there are problems, like how all of the girls were high heels, extravagant makeup, and rather immodest clothing. Whoever's writing the webseries tries to give it some depth, at least. The dolls can be fun, though; one recent doll of Abbey, the yeti, came with a little chainsaw meant for ice sculpting.

Maybe now would be a good time to mention that Devious Vacuum called me xXxBratzFan69xXx on twitter yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Devious Vacuum posted:

So that was you! I think that Monster High has some modern sensibility about it for sure, but it's still about super-skinny, conventionally beautiful girls, which is always going to be a problem with dolls forever. There's a robot one whose problem is her "internal clock" is off so she is "always late." That made me mad, because "not understanding social signals" is totally a thing that would apply and would be a fantastic way of referencing real problems kids actually have.

The closest they've really come to a character that misunderstands social cues is the yeti, Abbey. English isn't her native language and she's used to speaking with brevity, due to the thin mountain air of her old home. They don't really do much with her misunderstandings, though, which is a shame. For how incredibly popular the brand is with young children, it would be nice if they tried elaborating more on issues that kids actually have.

Going by some of the doll part kits they've released, I think Mattel would do a lot more with different bodies if they weren't so focused on having all of the clothes fit universally. As you said, it's always going to be a problem with dolls, especially ones from a company like Mattel.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

Chiming in to say that the whole thread was just brilliant, and thank you to everyone that participated. I laughed, I cringed, I never wanted to look so deeply inside of a nostril but then I did anyway.

• Locked thread