Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In episode one you made your response to "now what would you make as a girl game" that was "well I wouldn't make a girl game" but anecdotally I don't think you really understand who plays these. I remember when my sister was younger she'd spend about half her weekly allotted two hours of internet time playing basically normal flash games and the other half specifically googling dress up games.
So I guess what you'd really want to do would be make a dress up game that actually is a game and doesn't reinforce lovely expectations of femininity, off the top of my head some sort of "super spy dress up" where you have to dress the spy up as whatever she has to pretend to be to do her spying? There'd be an actual game there, it wouldn't even be that far off from the 'dream date' game you showed off but it wouldn't really reinforce the lovely things the other games do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
To be fair to a couple of those iOS games, "score points to unlock options to score points to unlock options" is a tried and true method of game design, it just happens to be easily applied to mobile games for "OR you could pay real money to skip all that."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

chocolatekake posted:

Except how do you score "points" in Foot Spa, or any of those other cookie cutter games? By linking with Facebook and sharing your horrid creations with people?

Not the foot spa one, but the photoshoot one Panzer Skank showed before that had you score points seemed to have you score points just through the photoshoot and she made the same complaint.

Though yeah it did seem like that one was really slow too though because free to play garbage.

• Locked thread