Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Everything about this thread looks amazing and I can't wait for more. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Captain_duck posted:

I'm thinking of doing a video on the history of girl games, in which i show girl games from different console era's to see how the graphics and gameplay (d)evolves. But I'm having problems finding interesting games to show, especially in the pre-PS1 days. I can think of a couple:

Arcade: Ms Pacman
NES: Little mermaid, Princess tomato
GB: Powerpuff Girls
SNES: Sailor Moon RPG
All Eras: Barbie, My little pony

But i know there are lots more, any of you have ideas of games i should cover? (if i do this).

I hate adding input to the thread because like with all feminist topics, as a male, I have a tendency to stick my penis foot in my mouth. That said, Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom is no more a girl game, nor about it's titular princess than The Legend of Zelda. It's a weird point-and-click game set in a world of anthropomorphic fruits and vegetables, where you play as a brave cucumber off to rescue your sweet tomato. (Nothing suggestive there.) I do recall back in the day there being a handful of games aimed exclusively at girls though, like Barbie or whatever. They seemed like they were pretty lame at the time, but compared to this modern stuff they're a revelation.

EDIT: looking things up, there are even fewer nes "girl games" than I thought. There's the Barbie and Little Mermaid games mentioned, and Beauty and the Beast, which has you play as the Beast anyways, but I would bet good money no boy at the time would ask for it (having been one at the time.) You might find more if you're willing to go into non-American games, like the Hello Kitty franchise games, but I suspect that's beyond the scope of the thread.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 19, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As a parent today, I can say that Lego bit illustrates a much bigger problem with toys and marketing to children that the feminist perspective is just one part of. Today, it's become rare to find toys that actively encourage real creativity. Sure, Lego's as big as it ever was, but no longer is it just "here's a bunch of building pieces, make whatever you can think of," now it's "here's a bunch of pieces for this particular set, build what we show you". Imagination is very much stifled by the way the sets are sold. And it very much is gender-biased for whichever spin-off set or what have you the set is based around. Even the theme-less variety bins of pieces you can get (of which there's like, three sizes and that's it of the hundreds of kits on the market) come in gender biasing, with blue bins for boys with whatever, and pink bins for girls that include pink blocks, and flower pieces.

Unrelated, Nihilarian might be on to something bringing up Final Fantasy X-2. Sure, other games in the series with female protagonists can be classified as "games with girls in them", but X-2 has you lead a trio of girl treasure hunters (whose male assistants are ancillary at best and buffoons at worst) on a major quest to save the world, and chase after clues about the lead's thought to be gone forever lost love. They proceed to kick butt, and change their fighting powers based on the outfits they can change into, including being able to fight through singing and dancing if the player wishes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Zoe posted:

Okay I know this is getting off topic, but my inner child is curious now, are there like, some sort of generic plastic building blocks out there that are like the Legos from the old days were you could just build whatever, or are the sets just what we're going to be stuck with forever now?

Like I said in my little rant about them, you can usually find small tubs of generic pieces at your local toy department, like maybe 75-150 piece buckets. They're actually cheaper than all those licensed kits too. But they're probably even more gender biased, with blue or pink buckets, with the girl ones having pink bricks and flowers and junk.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm not sure how convinced I am that the hidden object games are really "girl" games over that coveted. "Whole family" grabber. Both of my parents spend a lot of their home computer time playing casual flash based games, whether they're match-3 or something like monopoly. And hidden object games are pretty popular on their computer, including them regularly paying for them. Both play them a lot, and it's not uncommon when one is playing that someone passing by will have to get in on things and help. When my 6 year old son is around, he loves playing these games with anyone willing to help too. But yes, I do agree with the sentiment that most have spooky and/or paranormal settings, and a lot of them do seem to have female protagonists, if the story provides for an identity for them at all beyond the player.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As far as hidden object games go, my step-mom was playing some time ago this really good one with a headless horseman plot, that had a lot more to do to solve the puzzles, so it kinda almost morphed into a point-and-click adventure over a hidden picture.

Also, the other big brand to look for is the Mystery Case Files line of games. They're big and challenging, with you being a detective solving crimes (mostly murders) in creepy places by finding the hidden items, and periodically doing mini-games. They even made one for the Nintendo DS that's pretty darn good.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sunning posted:

I was going to recommend Pogo.com for its games aimed at young girls. However, they really cleaned up their website and re-targeted to really young children and middle-aged adults with gambling problems.

Oh yeah, when I was talking earlier about my parents and their constant fluff games online, it's either hidden object stuff from who knows where, or club pogo. Like, most of the time they're home and up, one of them is on there. Fluff flash is exactly what that site is, with tons of matching, and mahjongg and board game type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh, you mean that a thong bikini and a spiked shoulderpad aren't proper attire for a girl fighting in a post-apocalyptic world?

You mean all these games and fantasy films lied to me?? :monocle:

• Locked thread