Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
You know what's a really solid qualifier for the "Video Games girls would enjoy that aren't pandering trash" category? Rhythm Games.

You can play the poo poo out of dress-up,as much as you want, but then you get to see that character that you just spent 20 minutes agonizing about the right t-shirt, actually DO something. Usually, rock the gently caress out. But it's not just the Guitar Heros and the Rock Bands that I'd recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KItV7ldG5Rw

Yea, they're in some lovely outfits, but gently caress that noise They Save The World Through The Power Of Their Rocking.

Games on the DS are weird like that, they're somewhat sexist (look the only female agents in the entire game are super skinny in skimpy rear end outfits!) but at the same time, are literally able to save the world by building up a giant beam of Positive Energy. But there's a game for the DS, that's also a rhythm game, but might be the best "girl game" ever made. Mainly, cause it's a Hannah Montana game.

I know,I know, What could possibly make a licensed game staring Miley before she was even Miley the best of anything? Just watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQUw84ObJ7E

Just for clarification, this is Jam Sessions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAqX--OoFO8
a stand alone game that's supposed to do everything he just demoed. Except it doesn't do things like individual guitar strings, and it's just a guitar. So a Hannah Montana game manages to have, as just part of the overall game, the best music creation system for the DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I can't believe no one has made it yet, but after Vacuum's update, I felt it needed to be made.

Made specifically for any Avatar-Related Needs.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL(because it's already stolen)

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

Veloxyll posted:

It's okay. People have a LOT of spare ribs if you crack one or two.
They'll live.
Also, it was a kettle in the lounge room, not an iron.

International Diplomacy. Oh MY.

I'm not sure which part of this is better, the excellent Night On The Town Outfit, or Obama's perfect reaction in the background.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

(This was WAY too hard to find a pic of considering that looking for "landslide" pictures these days are incredibly sad results)

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Man, I was hoping that other people were gonna start talking about City Of Heroes in this thread, because it means i can finally talk about this.
I happen to think that my beloved City Of Heroes/Villains (heretofore known as CoX) might be one of the most gender progressive games ever made, and it's all because of lovely Early 2000s Code.
Giant Hulk-Sized characters are a staple of comic books. So if CoX was going to let you make your own superhero, you were going to need to have a character who defaults as "already loving huge". Then they were like "well that Hulk guy can't have our default voice clips. Not to mention the difference between a normal person landing a 20 foot Super Jump and The Hulk. How do we make that character do all of these different things compared to the standard male and female character model?"
They made a third gender, and called it "Huge"

Now, I know what you might be thinking. Yes, it's clearly just a variant on the Male model, with a deep and guttural set of voice clips. But there's also the fact that since like...update 4, there's been this available as a wall texture

We don't get this progressive in REAL Life. Maybe if you count "family" bathrooms. But when you consider the fact that CoX is also the game that lets you make something like this

I'd say that it qualifies as being Pretty Progressive. Granted, it still doesn't let you put Actual Dresses on the male model, or let the Female Model chomp on a cigar. But half of the fun of playing a nearly 10 year old game, was working around those issues, and figuring out how to make your Hulk burst out of HisHer dress while still being Glamorous.

The other half was punching a fire spewing Biker Dude so hard he rag dolls off the roof and lands in a tree.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I feel like it's my civic duty to share this with all of my fellow girl gamers.
We've been drudging our way through the shittiest of dress up games. I think we've forgotten just what you can do with a Good Dress Up Game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TP4L1vHfpk
The part I think this thread will really enjoy comes at about 2:15. Granted that the game seems to be weird towards genders (no female giants, because reasons) but it looks to be a 3D Modeling Program, shoved into a character creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
This was not only one of the best LPs to come out of Something Awful in awhile, but you managed to simultaneously make the best HowToBasic video, and at the same time, the most disturbing HowToBasic video ever.

Well done Devious Vacuum you crazy genius you.

• Locked thread