Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Bandit 1200

Buell Ulysses

KTM 690

KLR is out because it sucks.

Seriously though, have you considered things like the Z1000, Ninja 1000, etc? What styling do you like? What sort of riding do you do? "Upright seating position, fast, and can cruise at 75" describes everything from a scrambler to a megamoto to a goldwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I can't stand windshields simply because clean air across your entire body is far more comfortable than a windstream that hits you in the head alone. See every multistrada 1200 rider bitching about the loving useless windscreen.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wendigee posted:

That is kind of what I wanted to hear fellas. Thank you your input.

A nice smooth comfortable bike that will easily go 75 i what I'm looking for and the bonneville seems to fit that well.

One last question, are there any known reliability issues?

Honestly a bonnie doesn't do 75 "easily". It'll do it, but its not going to be a great freeway cruiser. I was pretty let down by how heavy and slow it was when I got one as a loaner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice Sweet Meat posted:

It does 75 very easily. It does 100 without much effort, it just does it smoothly. I ride from Atlanta to Macon and back again between 80-90 the whole way, and except for the cold, it was way more comfortable than my Ninja 500.

Have you ridden any bikes besides your ninja 500 and your bonnie? Because yes, it will do 100mph, but that doesnt have much to do with how comfortable it's going to be at freeway speeds. More power and taller gearing does wonders for freeway riding.

Despite the fact that it is an 800, it makes mediocre power and outweighs similar bikes like the sv650 by quite a bit. It's not a bad bike, just know that as a p-twin 800 it's not going to be a real great freeway cruise, like a bandit 1200, sport touring bike like a zzr1200, or anything like that. You buy a bonnie because you like the look, everything else about it is expectedly marginal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

That being said if you go to cycle-ergo.com and dick around, you'll find that there's very little difference in actual riding position between a Bonnie and something like a Ninja 650.

This is really the core of it. There are more powerful, lighter, more reliable bikes out there for less.

And saying "Well you'll have to refresh the suspension" still rather misses the point - the suspension on a stock bonnie is totally poo poo, and you'll need to either do something like a GSX-R swap (which I'd love to see pictures of) and get some aftermarket shocks on the back, and that's probably 2-ish grand worth of work, and then you're still dealing with narrow tires that you can't get modern rubber for, vs. a Ninja 650 which also has poo poo suspension, but you can spend a few hundred bucks on some emulators, slap a ZX-whatever rear shock on, and get something decent for under 500 bucks, and it can be fitted with modern rubber.

And they'll do 120 mph, which means they're just that much less stressed about doing 75.

It's not that the bonnie is a bad bike - it's that it's best quality is it's look. It loses out to many cheaper, more reliable, lighter weight, etc. options in every category but "looks like a brit bike that you can probably trust to start".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice Sweet Meat posted:

The Ninja was the first/last "sport bike" I ever owned. I grew up riding a 78 Honda 175 dirtbike (86-89) then I didn't get another bike until 2006, which was a 89 Honda CM400T. I've ridden a lot of bikes in Mexico and India, where the highest displacement is around 250 usually. I ride mostly in Atlanta, surface and highway, so I don't need a lot of power. I'm also 44 so I don't really get wanting anything with crazy torque or speed. The bonny suits me down to the ground.

I got hit by a 70 year old left turning cager back in May. Shattered my left leg, had to get titanium, etc etc. So I'm way more cautious than I used to be. I guess that's part of my bias.

You should see if you can take a spin on a sport touring bike or some other more powerful standard...it only goes as fast as you make it go, honestly, and freeway manners are really determined by power and gearing.

Personally, avoiding that sort of thing is exactly why I ride a supersport with a handlebar on it. Excellent brakes, excellent suspension, light and maneuverable, with enough power to easily dispatch anything I can run into and to cruise at 75mph with a bunch of power to spare.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Something to remember about monsters is that despite the bar, the ergos are still quite aggressive...sit on one and you'll see.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You are objectively wrong. 90 degree v-twin is the best engine.

I6 is the best engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

I4 engine is the best bike engine and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. Don't test me. I'll roll 2D6 damage on you so quick you won't know what happened.

I'll throw a D4 so fast it'll make a small but visible divot in your skin!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I wonder if a cunningly placed and sharpened D4 could puncture a motorcycle tire.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Remove the fisheye, correct the perspective, and that's a 2 inch stoppie.

Good metaphor for Buell ownership though. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shop around on insurance, it pays. Some companies just don't want to insure certain bikes.

Also, I can assure you, a street triple is far from fragile. See if you can snag a test ride on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Any engine design can own if you just give love a chance.

• Locked thread