Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you think the Bonneville is underpowered and slow don't even think about a Guzzi V7.

I can't figure out what the hell this thread is supposed to be, is it CA's version of the Car Game or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Bonnie / Thruxton are air-cooled Twins. There's only so much push you're going to get out of an air-cooled Twin these days with modern emissions standards. So they're heavy and slow, but they're not really in the same class as a Street Triple, they're more competing with like a Harley Sportster. Which also isn't a popular bike in CA, but is (or can be) a perfectly fine ride if that's what you're looking for.

Are you going to have 3 second 0-60s? No. Are you going to quiver in terror about cars running you over because your engine can't pull a greasy string from a cat's rear end? No. Maybe with the Guzzi.

Sure the suspensions are doodoo, it's bargain bin stuff with dual shocks in the back. It's not much money or effort to redo. Most any of the other standards mentioned in this thread (919, older Z1000, old Bandits, etc) didn't come with particularly great suspension new, and now they're 10+ years old and that poo poo will be worn out anyway, so one way or another you're either getting crap suspenders or dropping money on a refresh. Buddy of mine has a GSX-R front end on his Bonnie, I need to grab some pics of it sometime but that's one way of dealing with it.

There's also a ton of Triumph branded / aftermarket stuff for the platform so if you want to rig up a tourer or break your back cafe'ing it up the options are there.

Zooming the list pulls up a couple Bonnevilles near me, late model low miles around the $5k range, which seems reasonable enough considering no one puts poo poo on Craigslist around here in the dead of winter without stupid pointless high prices on it.

That being said if you go to cycle-ergo.com and dick around, you'll find that there's very little difference in actual riding position between a Bonnie and something like a Ninja 650.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Take a Sportster 1200 and put mid controls and a sensible bar on it and you've got, well, you've got what you'd get with a stock Bonneville. A fine bike if that's what you're looking for (which I said before) but you've still got a slow, heavy bike with crap suspension, crap brakes, mediocre seat etc to sort if you want speed or comfort. There is plenty of aftermarket to support that.

I guess you get ~Harley cachet~ but most people here would count that a net negative.

I love the way the Duc GT1000 looks but their pricing really is getting stupid. Monsters on the other hand can get you the ergos and most of the retro look a lot easier and cheaper.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The 60 degree V ain't bad either

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I can see a few reasons why the St3 wouldn't be what you're looking for (insurance cost, has at least 3x the performance of every other bike mentioned) but comfort isn't one of them. It's arguably actually comfier for just riding around than everything else listed.

The Guzzi V7 is very much an "all show, no go" kind of bike.

Also, don't forget the aftermarket. On any of these you can swap out the bars and often get a better seat. That includes the St3. With a Speedmaster you can swap on a Bonneville or Thruxton tank, but it's non-trivial work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0F_GOT3hrs

Also if you really care about the CB1100 I can pretty much guarantee Progressive is ringing it up as a CBR1100XX or something like that. They do this all the time, it saved me a bundle for a few years insuring my Z1000. You can press them, or just try Geico or some other guys (the Honda dealer may even have suggestions.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Like most small cruisers, longer aftermarket shocks in the back go a long way to addressing both the ground clearance and the lack of suspension travel.

If I were 'standardizing' one of those, longer shocks, mid controls, appropriate bars and, uh, losing the Batwing would be on the to-do list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Truly, the batwing fairing is possibly the ugliest thing one could ever add to a motorcycle.

Pretend I linked one of those streetfighter replacement headlight / fairings that looks just like a Predator mask

• Locked thread