Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

hayden. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw is the best review I've seen of it and has convinced me to not buy one over a CB1100.

If you don't like the feeling of 0 to 60 in under three seconds you are a boring soulless person.

This review is refreshingly honest, and he's totally right about the bike reviews falling all over themselves to lump praise on a mediocre bike. I recall Motorcyclist had the Bonneville somehow winning head-to-head comparisons because exhaust note was an important factor. It's a reliable, underpowered engine surrounded by an uncomfortable bike (as opposed to the original wild, leaky vibrato surrounded by an uncomfortable bike). Unless you change out the exhaust, front and rear suspension, and mess with the engine computer and intake, thus voiding the warranty. So you drop $10k for the bike, and then another $3-4k to make it comfortable and slightly less underpowered. Fantastic.

E: also, UJM's Best M's.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The first thing you should do is test ride all of them.

The Honda CB1100 will probably be less of a headache overall as far as maintenance, and I believe it'll have a smoother powerband compared to V-twins. Full disclosure: I love Honda CB's above all others. Everyone I know with Harleys has them in the shop for a third of the year being worked on for one thing or another. Someone posted in the picture thread a video about Bonneville's being uncomfortable and jerky unless you upgrade the seat, suspension and put a dummy plug in the O2 sensor.

• Locked thread