Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I'm yet to see anybody riding one of these in a full-face helmet. It's as if they think the hard pavement gives a gently caress about their Lord Kitchener moustaches.

edit: Reading back through this thread, it really is baffling what the obstacle is to making a properly retro-styled bike that rides well (i.e. like a modern bike should), looks pretty, won't shred your spine or taint, goes braap real nice, and doesn't cost a poo poo-ton too much money. Why is BMW (soon to be joined by Ducati I guess) the only manufacturer that has seen fit to give a 'retro' coolguy bike decent monoshock suspension? And the thing still has the stupidest engine in the world and is so appallingly, blindingly, obviously targeted to late-20s beard-combing yuppie turds with more money than taste.

Just, gently caress. Am I wrong in thinking that nearly all people who buy Bonnevilles and W800s and poo poo want is the aesthetic and to look like Steve McQueen? So, get a normal, modern, standard motorcycle frame, give it acceptable post-1980s suspension, put some torquey V-twin in there, and give it a flat tank and comfy seat like the Bonnie and hey presto! There won't be a loving thing that's 'authentic' about it, because it'll be a thousand times better to ride than any bike from the 50s or 60s, but you'd sell a million of the fuckers. Like, why don't Harley do this with the 883? The XR1200 was a fine effort at tapping into the retro-standard market, but it still had a big floppy dual-shock chassis and weighed 250kg. It cannot be that loving hard to make a bike with 50s styling that actually works as a modern bike with proper fun potential for under $8k American (lol @ the idea of a Harley under $8k new).

Aren't those new Husky concepts precisely that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just wait for the "p-twins suck" pooh-pooh brigade to show up and tell you how it should have been a v-twin instead.

It sounds like a V-twin, so best of both worlds?

• Locked thread