Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The SVF650 and vstrom... I am not a fan of the styling.

I've kind of narrowed it down to a Bonneville Triumph or a Honda CB1100.

Triumph seems to be a bit cheaper... Honda has a slightly larger engine. Any thoughts? Anyone had experience with both bikes?

I've scrounged a bit and it looks like Honda will be releasing a reworked version of the CB1100 EX sometime in 2014. Adding a sixth gear while turning the CB1100 standard edition into a more barebones cafe race style which likely won't appeal to me. I want an upright seating position.

I've heard the CB1100 drives rather milder than the Bonneville even though the enginer has a large displacement.

I want fast acceleration and be able to cruise comfortably at 75mph.

Thoughts? Comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Seriously though, have you considered things like the Z1000, Ninja 1000, etc? What styling do you like? What sort of riding do you do? "Upright seating position, fast, and can cruise at 75" describes everything from a scrambler to a megamoto to a goldwing.

I'm kinda partial to the styling of the CB1100 and the Bonneville. Sort of the old school standard motorcycle.

My riding will be 90% commute. I live about 7 minutes from work so it will be short and on smallish roads. I want to be able to take it on the highway when visiting friends and family which is why I want to be able to cruise at high speeds occasionaly. My previous bike, a v-star 650, sounded like it was going to commit suicide any minute if I ran it over 55.

I do actually like cruiser styling as well, but it seems that they are always rather slow unless you get a giant one at which point I feel uncomfortable dealing with how heavy they are.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

High Protein posted:

Well if you want a bike that's comfortable and reasonably fast there's tons of naked bikes to choose from that focus on comfort and general usability over sportiness, like the aforementioned Bandit, Hornet 919, I feel my Buell XB12SS fits into this class of bike too.

Retro bike wise you could also look at the Kawasaki ZRX, Suzuki GSX1400 and whatever the Honda/Yamaha version of that formula are. Those will all be much faster than the Honda or Triumph. Maybe a Harley XR1200 or a plainer standard Sportster (or Yamaha Bolt)?

The bolt was on my short list... I watched a video review of the bonneville vs the bolt vs the iron 883 and from the what they said in my opinion the bonneville sounded to be more fitting.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/16203/Motorcycle-Article/13-Sportster-883-Iron-vs-Star-Bolt-vs-Bonneville.aspx

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah I was researching it a bit... sales are apparently not fantastic.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think they cell the 919 anymore... at least I don't see it on their website.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

That is kind of what I wanted to hear fellas. Thank you your input.

A nice smooth comfortable bike that will easily go 75 i what I'm looking for and the bonneville seems to fit that well.

One last question, are there any known reliability issues?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

SO... I posted this thread a long rear end time ago and was surprised to see it was still on the front page. I decided to buy a house instead of a bike, and I've been repairing things the inspector didn't report since then.

Anyway. I'm getting close. I may have about the right amount of money to buy a a bike near the end of fall.

Still kinda focused on a Bolt/Triumph, KLR650 or the new SR400 (kawasaki?).

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'd like to add that I am 6 foot and 280.... i was going to buy a scout but I was told it was too small for my fatass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I just don't want to look dumb on a bike.

• Locked thread