Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Clayren posted:

Flag needs to have KQR on it, for "King/Komnenos Of Rome". Because who cares about a cruddy senate or the inbred yokel people?

And the Q's meant to stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The Q stands for nothing here. In SPQR, it is part of the initialism for the Latin word for people.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

King of Questionable Romanitas

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

JT Jag posted:

The Q stands for nothing here. In SPQR, it is part of the initialism for the Latin word for people.

No, it stands for -que, a suffix conjunction. Senatus Populusque - People and Senate. And 'and' doesn't fit in Komnenos of Rome, so I was wondering what it was other than que. (Though really the Empire's been on Hellenic language administration for so long now that even a deliberate reference to the old SPQR would be in Greek, like my mocking suggestion.)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
We should go North, claim Russia for Christ and gain some allies.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
: All right, enough faffing about! Let's put this to a vote.

(OOC: I'll be able to clean up and resize whichever wins, so don't let formatting or whatever influence your vote-- just the concepts)

A: The Chi Ro

PROS: Simple. Strong brand recognition. This particular design literally made by a member of the Komnenos family, so an excellent source of brownie points for a Senate hungry for legitimacy.
CONS: So AD 310s.

B: The Actually A Flag

Thanqol posted:

Flagchat:

I have no historical basis or anything for this, I just thought the colours looked pretty.

This one's a bit communist-y, but so were the original Roman flags I guess.

EDIT: The red symbolises the clay that was unjustly stolen from glorious srjba

PROS: Unique; a new flag for a new era. Second variant will look great after the inevitable victory of Communism centuries from now.
CONS: Purple dye still very expensive; usurpers might steal it and fashion it into a crude imperial cloak.

C: The Labarum

JT Jag posted:

The Chi Rho is a proud symbol, but one I fear may lack the imperial majesty required of the arms of the Roman Empire. On its own, at least. What I suggest is that we go by a true symbol of antiquity, the one proudly used by Constantine the Great himself: the labarum.

The labarum, of course, was Constantine's personal military standard, a symbol of the might of the Empire at its peak. The only question here is how one might go about turning it into a banner for the empire. My suggestion is approximately this:

If anyone wants to take a better shot at this idea feel free. I think I kind of mangled it.

edit: I decided to put a few more minutes into it, here's a much improved version.

PROS: If we're going to harken back to Constantine, we might as well go all the way, right? Since Constantine totally had a vision from God and used this banner at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge in an event that was in no way apocryphal.
CONS: Constantine didkind of murder half his family that one time. Three discs call to mind Constantine's three useless sons.

D: The Laurel Wreath

StrifeHira posted:

All right might as well put words into pictures:

New flag idea. Chi-Rho with laurel crown, gold border. Though I'm liking that labarum idea too, maybe throw that on?

PROS: Call to mind imperial glories to put those westerners on notice, but with a Chi Ro to remind everyone who's still boss. Attractive gold border.
CONS: Laurel wreaths? Ancient traditions dating back to the dawn of the Greek peoples? A longstanding symbol of Roman military prowess? Sounds awful... pagany, doesn't it?

:siren: Voting's done in 24 hours, so chop chop! :siren:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Well put that way, D.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I'm going for D. It shows that we're bringing back the Glory of Rome. :hist101:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I'm voting B not because I made it but because I want wearing the flag to become the de-facto uniform of Roman Emperors after the revolution.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Constantine, Caesar, Christ, and Conquest!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Clearly the proper answer is A.

It's almost like you guys don't want to be put into the official histories.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A is the best.

Pagany is a bad thing.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Byzantiny Vote Count

code:
A	2
B	3
C	3
D	5

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 24, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Bah, the laurels are a sign of victory! And with the Chi-Rho there it's victory for Jesus! You want to win victories for Jesus, don't you?

Then vote for D. For Jesus. For Rome. :hist101:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I vote for B, because we must not be held back by the shackles of the past. A fresh new design that doesn't include the Chi-ro is the wisest choice for the Emperor who wishes to be remembered throughout all of history.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Useless sons? Sounds like CK2 alright! C to it! :hist101:

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
D
For the Glory of Rome.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
C. Simple, effective, and yet more than just the Chi-Ro.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
B.

tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011
D has my vote and man is Sniper fast to arrive when a vote comes up.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

tallboarLittlehand posted:

D has my vote and man is Sniper fast to arrive when a vote comes up.

Only for threads I like reading! Of which this is one.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

D because pagan Rome is the best Rome, Hellenic Glory for the warriors of Byzantium!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Of course I vote for C.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Gotta vote D!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

D.

:agesilaus::respek::hist101:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
B, a new flag for a new era.

As for the subject of our neighbors to the east, I agree on the "stab key members of the Sultanate until the whole thing collapses into anarchy" plan, as well as the "revassalize the remaining Orthodox nations of the East, like Cilicia and Georgia". However, an additional thought occurs.

Why not retake Sicily and southern Italy from those uncouth barbarian Normans? It's rich land, traditionally Roman (because who the hell is this 'Byzantium', we're the Eastern Roman Empire), and safe from marauding Turks.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
D

Honor the past, move into the future!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
B because it actually seems like something we could use beyond CK2.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

D

D is the best clearly.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I say [C] for now and something akin to [D] once we get more into a Roman revanchist mindset.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
D

Best of every world.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
B.

Only purple is fit to symbolize our power and wealth!

meatbag fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 24, 2014

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

D is clearly the best option here.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

C!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A, simple is best.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
D. I think it looks cool.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

D because it's the perfect mix of old glory in the new age.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

YF-23 posted:

A, simple is best.

We're the Roman Empire, it is our civic Duty to be over the top. :agesilaus:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Voting B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring