Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Viscardus posted:

Incidentally, the way Bohemond and to a lesser extent Robert are portrayed in the Alexiad is kind of fascinating. Anna frequently goes out of her way to portray them as barbarous and terrible, and yet at the same time constantly speaks at length about how impressive they are in various ways. Her physical description of Bohemond (whom she met as a teenager while he was in Constantinople during the First Crusade) in particular is both extensive and quite complementary.

Anna Komnenos posted:

But he who undertakes the "role" of an historian must sink his personal likes and dislikes, and often award the highest praise to his enemies when their actions demand it, and often, too, blame his nearest relations if their errors require it.

I wish I had read the Alexiad earlier because it is full of rad quotes like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I kind of want you to leave the Three Bulgarias alone so that in 900 years, posters on the NegaParadox message boards can argue about how their Balkan state is the true inheritor of Bulgarian glory.

• Locked thread