Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, the example explicitly given was 'using power to win lotto = get hit by bus', so Luk could be kind of bad. Unless he is special and doesn't get karma hits, but we haven't seen that.

From the looks of it, you're allowed to use your power so long as people don't notice that your success is odd. Winning the lottery would draw a lot of attention, but aiming lower or hiding just how successful you are seems like something you can get away with. Like the example of someone who used their abilities to sell more stuff. It didn't really affect anyone else in the normal world too much, so he got away with it.

Also, winning the lottery and then being shitcanned by karma for doing so doesn't seem very lucky. If anything a high luck stat might help him avoid situations where random chance would get him into trouble with the whole karma thing. His power seems to be able to gently caress with the world to get things to work too, so it's entirely possible that the rules can bend for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wonder what happens when he runs out of HP. Your average MMO doesn't have permadeath.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The mention about quests coming from his mom makes me wonder. He can't see her level because it's so high, so there's obviously something special about her. In an MMO, quests come from developers. Maybe she has something to do with the ability?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I don't think so. If that was true, then things people are carrying when they die appear inside illusion barriers. That either means copies are being made (which would lead to problems, when it comes to cash and suchlike) or they vanish from the corpse in the regular world. People would probably notice that.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Just make a Mana Shield at your feet, and jump off of it for a double jump, dummy

Unless the shield moves with him, in which case it'd be just like trying to double jump off a regular shield that you've strapped to your feet.

Now I want to see him try.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wonder. With how high level his observe skill has gotten, can he observe the abilities of others to get an idea of how they work? Even if he can't, observe is possibly his single most powerful skill. Getting a read on who someone is, their background, their possible skills, health issues, current emotions and all that just by looking is ridiculously useful.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

rizzen posted:

I am immensely sad we didn't get a shot of the options menu now that we know it exists. Ah well.

There definitely has to be something up re: the soulstones.

I think normally they're made from spirits, which is what that girl's father is doing. His gamer powers obviously aren't the only source of them, given that powers that exist without his gamer powers can make use of them. Our man here is explicitly creating something from nothing when items drop though, so it might be the case that he's literally gathering soul stones while skipping the usual step of using spirits to make them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SerSpook posted:

I've never thought about it from this angle, but it'd be pretty funny and make a lot of sense if his ability forced him into always being on some quest to save the world/the girl/the kingdom, etc, just like an RPG.

So he can never have the life he wants, because gaia/god/whatever, always twists things so he has to be a hero in a videogame.

Nah, his destiny is like that of a long-time MMO player.

Raids. Nightly raids.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

While it does fall into the anime cliché of all the story relevant teens being in the same class I don't really mind it. I'm speculating to some extent but I figure the reason she is there is because after being healed by Jee-Han she is well enough to go to school again, she probably really wants to go so she can have something approaching a normal life again and her father decided to have her put in the same school he teaches at so he can keep an eye on her and be there if she collapses again.

What I question more is why is her dad teaching there? Is it just a cover story? Is he really an accredited teacher and just happens to have magic powers too? Is he at the school for some specific reason?

Even a wizard needs a day job, considering that he has to be careful with regards to using his powers for personal gain in the real world. And it's much easier to keep an eye on his daughter's condition if she's at his place of work.

I'd honestly love it if it turned out that he was only doing what he was for the sake of his daughter, and now that the protagonist can at the very least keep her condition manageable he'll turn out to be much less of a threatening figure than he was before.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Sung-Gong is probably uninterested because he's very into healing his daughter and hasn't realized that Jee-Han is why she got better. If he ever makes that connection Jee-Han had better be ready for a hell of a power-levelling session :v:

I dunno, I think he at the very least suspects that Jee-Han had something to do with it. Hiring people to get rid of the cleaners may be to protect himself and his daughter without forcing him to waste time doing it himself, but it's also possible he's doing it to keep Jee-Han from getting killed before he can find out what the hell the kid is.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Would his power work on digitized books? Because that would solve the problem of consuming the book.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It'll be a giant earth monster with the personality of a teenage girl. Who is also tsundere.

"I-I'm not tanking for you because I like you, baka!"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
There's also the case that he's not competing with people who can see all the numbers. They can't really sit down and sperg out about builds they could be using, they just practice skills that they can use mostly effectively.

Plus, in the real world minmaxing doesn't work anywhere near as well as in a game. Someone who can shoot fire but in doing so loses their ability to stand up in a stiff breeze probably won't last long.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Artificer posted:

It seems that Noume is just another ranged caster? That's not too helpful. Maybe he will have to spec her into a more defensively oriented spell tree or something. Sort of like Guild Wars's companion skill selections.

The best defense is killing everything before it can touch you! And for anything he can't just nuke down he should obviously be in a proper party anyway.

Oh man, can his gamer power force enemies to obey aggro mechanics?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I... don't think a hand made out of solid rock is the best surface to land on.

Ehh, he used it so she wouldn't fall as far. If the ground was hard too, it was better than nothing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Normally item crafting in MMOs is a crapshoot, simply because there's a million other people who can do your job just as well as you so there's way too much competition. But if our protagonist here can craft items with videogame rules, that is just gather the ingredients, select the item and BAM, it's done? Think of how many things he can make in a day. Things that might take others days or weeks or months or years to make.

What a bullshit character.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Given that the spell is a Han Jee-Han style spell, removing curses like that might even be something that's incredibly rare and possibly something only he has learned to do so far.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's not that great since he immediately said something stupid right after.

It totally alerted him to danger. He was just not wise enough to prevent it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
What a genius. Wisdom is important! And that's why I'm dumping everything into int well beyond that 100 point threshold where it gives me a big boost.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Actually, I think just having ridiculously good luck might be something he could get away with. The explanation was that using magic to just make money directly was forbidden and the world would smack you around for it, but using magic to say make food you're selling delicious was fine because people would just think you're a good chef. Use your luck to win the lottery once and be done with it, and nobody's going to think that you have magical gamer powers. It's all about being found out to be using magic/chi/whatever. If nobody suspects supernatural abilities, it's all good.

ActionZero posted:

If you were so lucky that there was a risk of things happening that would make the world gently caress you up, you would probably be lucky enough that they would only happen a safe amount.

Also that. To me being really, really lucky also means that you won't get hosed up due to your luck. It'd be pretty unlucky if by random chance someone thought you were a luck wizard because you got lucky, wouldn't it?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah. When you break the Abyss and show your poo poo to mortals to gain stuff, trucks start accidentally veering right at you, trains you're on derail, that railing you've leaned on every day you've walked towards your schools for 10 years is suddenly rusted enough that it snaps under you...

I wonder how that'd work if someone pumped up their luck to a ridiculous degree. It almost seems like the world retaliates by dumping your luck stat into the negatives, which someone with really high luck might be able to survive.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Silynt posted:

Don't forget that quantified stats only exist in the context of The Gamer power; regular Abyss members don't have a 'Luck stat' that even could be high or low. So I doubt that dropping your Luck is how the world fights back.

It may not have been quantified, but given the supernatural nature of the abyss I can easily see someone literally being luckier than another. Some people were physically stronger than others before The Gamer power came along too, but now it's quantified.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Silynt posted:

I don't think we've been explicitly shown anyone with stats that high, but given the fact that reaching level 100 in INT gave him MEDIUM Mana, I would imagine that it is fairly common among higher ranking Abyss members.

Really, one of the most OP things about his ability we've seen so far are the breakpoint boosts. It's too bad that he doesn't have a strategy guide to let him know exactly what he would get for leveling VIT, STR etc. to 50.

Open menu. Manual.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Azubah posted:

How about the implication that one of his skills only comes from certain bloodlines?

What, the bit about that medium mana capacity skill only being in people of select heritages? Come on man, everyone knows the flavour text is bullshit. Next you'll expect me to believe that everyone in an MMO is the chosen one.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Yeah, because repeatedly winning lotteries is particularly blatant, though you might be able to get away with doing it once, maybe. They also specifically discussed an example where someone used magic to make their own baked goods sell like wildfire, which was perfectly kosher because as far as people know those baked goods were just delicious and popular.

Basically if you can pass it off as mundane, it flies.

NowonSA posted:

So maybe Jee-han can just disguise his medical practice as a VERY effective and lucky doctor's office?

Given how much he's pumping intelligence, he might just be able to cure AIDS with good old fashioned hard work and study. Or mix them a little. Give them a genuine treatment that has a good chance of working, but if it doesn't he can make it seem like it did.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

People ITT constantly forget that exists, or act like it is meant to stop selfishness. It's not. You can be as conniving and evil rear end you want, it just can't be noticeably unnatural.

Yup. He could pull off curing cancer if he could play it off as him just being some sort of ridiculously good cancer surgeon, but that's not going to happen unless he actually goes through med school and all that.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

The physical resistance skill was just a nice surprise. The chapter clearly stated that he was hurting himself to grind his heal spell.

I like how Gnome is actually completely impassive at all times like you would expect a low level earth elemental to be, but because the one facial expression it has is a smile it seems like it is really into all this grinding.

So far we haven't seen her in a situation that would seem like she'd be sad. We've seen her get summoned and thus make a new friend, and we've seen her murdering oni with a spear, and we've seen her smacking a guy with a big club. All situations where she'd be happy as gently caress.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Surprised that the magic dudes were using mana arrows too. I would have expected them to use stone shards or something. Hopefully it's just because mana arrow is a common attack spell and not because the author is out of ideas.

One of the books he bought said that mana arrows were a common attack spell, though apparently the ones Han Jee Han was using were slightly different to the standard because he learned to do them himself. Actually learning the fundamentals of how other people use the spell made his own ones better!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The way I see his Gamer Mind ability, it makes him treat real life much like a videogame. Think about it. Would you equip your video game character with ogre panties? Probably not. But you would kill anything that gets in your way because that's how games work.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Final Fantasy XIV is a fun MMORPG.

Well okay all the cool people will dress in a ridiculous outfit for the fun of it, but Jee Han is obviously one of those serious people who plays games in a serious manner.

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder why they changed it back to "Noum" from "Gnome"? It makes so much more sense as "Gnome"!

Incompetence.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

But then he'd want it. So far there has been (almost) no discarding of trash loot.

He's got a possibly infinite capacity inventory. There's no reason for him to throw anything away, ever. No matter how gross it is, if it's magic someone will probably buy it from the abyss auction.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

paragon1 posted:

It's a good thing we never tell jokes here on forums.somethingawful.com or you would look like a huge sperg right now!

The funniest thing is that he's wrong even when he's being a sperg. People do get XP without him around. His friend increases in levels and gains XP and stats despite not being around him. People gettin' OUTSPERGED right here.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Desuwa posted:

Also, while it's not completely clear how "leveling up" works when he isn't present, I doubt it works the same way.

paragon1 posted:

Always sucks when the game auto-levels your party members suboptimally.

Like that. You know, how in an RPG if someone leaves your party and rejoins later they'll be leveled up to compensate for not being around while you were leveling. If he wanted to train someone he should just have them join his party, leave them for a few weeks and come back and BAM, instantly leveled up while they were away. But like Paragon said they'll have leveled suboptimally so they'll be a little poo poo.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Clarste posted:

Last I checked you were on an island.

It's close enough to France for us to feel like we're right next to them. Which we basically are, really.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I knew those guys looked familiar. Their names were either poorly translated from korean, or poorly translated INTO korean and back again because I'm pretty sure Beride is meant to be named Berith, and Jagan is meant to be named Zagan. They're both listed in Ars Goetia and their descriptions match 'Beride' and 'Jagan', Berith being a man wearing a golden crown riding a red horse and Zagan being a winged bull.

Though honestly there's plenty of wiggle room with how to say/spell their names since these are translations anyway. I'm just being a big goon about occult trivia.

Slime fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 22, 2015

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Next on the agenda: Get someone to powerlevel him. He can apparently set the XP distribution of the party, so he could tag along with someone super strong and suck up all the XP if he wanted.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

One of those tornadoes probably killed Jee-han already.

Jee-Han's dead, from now on the comic is about Berith playing videogames in hell. He was The Gamer all along.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
As he stands over the corpse of his best friend, the only words out of his mouth are "lol noob, l2p"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So hell get bumped down a few XP and reappear in town.

Unless this is one of those full loot kMMOs.
Then hell reappear naked.

He'd be mad pissed off about losing those sweet, sweet ogre underpants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Of course he would be the Harem King :v:

Oh god his father has a power similar to The Gamer, doesn't he? Except hes' a dating sim protagonist instead of a Korean MMORPG character. Oh god, his father is the protagonist of The World God Only Knows.