Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Slime posted:

The mention about quests coming from his mom makes me wonder. He can't see her level because it's so high, so there's obviously something special about her. In an MMO, quests come from developers. Maybe she has something to do with the ability?

As I said to a friend, I'm really hoping he's wrong and the ??? is the result of her having an ability that's incompatible with his imposed worldview. I want it to turn out that she's a huge fan of movies or soap operas or sci-fi books and has her own version of his world-warping ability. Movies don't have character levels!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Serious Frolicking posted:

No one else has character levels. Jee-Han interprets what he sees as levels, but that doesn't mean everyone else is unknowingly running off of a MMO system.

The point of his power is that it imposes game rules upon the world. It continually alters the parts of reality that he's perceiving and interacting with. They may not have had character levels before, but they do now, just like enemies drop items when he kills them; remember how Sun-Il was gaining experience from killing zombies a few chapters back? They may not raise those levels in the same way that Jee-Han does, but their changes in strength and skill get quantified into levels the moment he observes them.

So yeah. It'd be cool to have someone else who has the same sort of power, just with a different ruleset, and who therefore gets to ignore his imposed rules.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I want him to get a Rune Factory-style relationship list at some point. Names and affection values!

And then he can be depressed when the only person that he has high affection with is Sun-Il.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Remember, Sun-Il's reaction to being healed back in chapter 11 was both, "You learned that skill?" and, "You healed me instantly?" When Jee-Han points out that instant recovery is normal in games, he says, "Isn't that a bit cheaty?" And that instant healing is explicitly stated as what got the Chunbumoon's attention in chapter 13, and the Chunbumoon's recovery zone was a increased recovery speed effect.

So that suggests that normal healing techniques just speed up natural recovery. Healing potions may be an exception, but if that's the case, then healing "status ailments" may just be flat-out impossible for normal people. Sung-Gon wasn't there when he said he healed Sung-Ah, so if it's impossible by the normal rules, then Sung-Gon probably wouldn't think, "Oh, that weird kid must have done this!"

Jee-Han is basically exempt to every single magical rule in the world, apparently.

Edit: Also, wow, how much experience does Yunhon Soul recovery need if 89 uses got him to level 3? That is one hell of an absurd EXP curve right there.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

How can this be so interesting and compelling that it makes me come back to it time and time again, when it's just one continuous training arc?? It's great!

Because most stories aren't about the training arc, so it's an unwelcome distraction? Meanwhile, we're all here to watch this nerd get more powers and also get super mage-swole.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

We haven't seen anyone's displayed name be different than the one they gave, have we? The talk about his mom makes me wonder if the names are absolutely true or whether they're just indicative of what the character wants to be called.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Better yet, his addiction changes his ability from Korean MMO Gamer to Pokemon Gamer.

Several arcs will be dedicated to EV training.

Man, that would be so overpowered.

I mean, think about it: one of the central rules of the Pokemon world is that no one can go "Rocket Grunt uses Gun!" and just attack you directly. If they want to take you down, they need to do it in a monster battle.

Suddenly, Jee Han is immune to all but one very specific form of violence. Anyone that isn't already some sort of summoner would be completely and utterly hosed.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Now Jee-Han has a real reason to level up his crafting! It'll probably take a while to grind up all the materials, though... In any other situation, I'd suggest trying to learn a Steal command, but, well.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Soylentbits posted:

So...any suggestion for learning non-clerical math for the fun of it?

Seconding this. I multiply large numbers in my head when I have nothing else to do and I've still never really gotten into the whole "greater beauty of math" thing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Wait. The Gamer's Mind makes Jee-Han just outright immune to all forms of mind control and mental influence, right? And being taken over by some sort of corporate hive mind presumably counts. But apparently having that mask could make you President...

Clearly the reason they're showing all of this off is that Jee-Han is about to steal the mask, take over the Company, and get a shitload of new powers, so the author doesn't want to have to explain all of them.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I wonder if "Mysterious Dungeon" here is a reference to the Roguelike-lites? You know, where you get reset to level 1 whenever you enter a dungeon, but you get to store items between dungeon trips (or there's some other measure of progress that sticks around between individual trips)? Because a real Mysterious Dungeon would be a real kick in the balls for Jee-Han, considering how his power works, especially if it vanished the rest of his skills for the duration of the trip. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Doesn't she turn life energy into magical power? If health potions count, then she gets to use them as both heals and nukes.