Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow, what a great recommendation! I sped through this in like an hour and I'm hungry for more! Even though the art and story aren't the greatest, the protagonist's superpower is just so interesting that you can't help but want more!

What was most interesting to me was when he formed the spinning energy blast. The notification popped up implying that he actually thought up a new skill. If he can figure out how to do it, maybe he can think up a skill that passively increases EXP gained, or lowers the costs of leveling up skills...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

He should run LUC+INT and become the South Korean Warren Buffett.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Except that he's simultaneously stuck in a chi-power fighting manga at the same time, so instead he's dumping all his points into INT and seeing what that awesome skill is. Which, thinking about it, isn't necessarily such a bad idea in real life.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hey, that could be it. What if Wisdom affects the rate at which you gain levels or affects the creation of new skills somehow?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/223225/the-gamer_ch23_by_bap-scans

So refreshing to have somebody with this attitude towards gaining super powers.

I think I know why I enjoy this so much -- it really reminds me of the Nen training stuff from Hunter X Hunter! The whole part where they were trying to figure out their specialty and the kind of special technique their Nen power would be. That part was one of the most interesting parts of HxH, and it feels like this whole story is about that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So, what'll happen if he goes to Options>Save, or, God forbid, Options>Exit Game?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

He should farm zombies to get soul gems, and use those soul gems to buy crafting ingredients so he can level up his crafting skill.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I don't find this is as much a problem, since they are mostly arranged panel-by-panel, so you can just read whatever few speech bubbles are and move down the page to the next.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think Save/Quicksave would be the most powerful ability ever once he learns to use the game menu properly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

MMO's don't have quicksave.

I'm not convinced that his system is an MMO-based one. It reminds me more of Skyrim than anything else!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Obviously this is a "cleaner":

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

How can this be so interesting and compelling that it makes me come back to it time and time again, when it's just one continuous training arc?? It's great!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HenryEx posted:

I've only ever seen one April's Fools scanlation that wasn't terrible. Yet somehow people insist on making them, as if they invented comedy.

Mahou-X could only pull this one off because A) they're pretty awesome and laid-back folks who don't take things too seriously, and B) their lead translator is a Hawaiian. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

He should raise his crafting skill and make his own drat magic weapons! Maybe once he's crafted a thing he could use Chunbumoon mana manipulation skills to imbue it with magic and then raise his Enchantment skill! I think that'd be a really good use for a high INT character like he's shaping out to be.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

New skill tree unlocked: Law Knowledge
  • New skill unlocked: Objection! (Lv. 0)
  • New skill unlocked: Civil Law (Lv. 0)
  • New skill unlocked: Tort Law (Lv. 0)
  • (10 additional skills, scroll down to view)...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Back when Mahou-X hadn't released a chapter of Yankee-Kun & Megane-Chan for over a year, I started up a group "Yankee-Goon" and we picked up the scanlation work for a while. That really kicked Mahou-X in the butt! But instead of starting a war, we ended up sharing chapters between each other until we weren't able to keep it up anymore for various life reasons. Also, as a consequence, Mahou-X ended up having to step up their translation game in terms of quality and doing redrawn sound effects! The quality of the two groups ended up being very close to indistinguishable, so it's rather win-win!

This seems... very rare in the world of scanlations!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

If it was me who was doing the scan editing, I'd have localized it to "This Sis'" or "This sister". Seems fitting enough, and in context, we're all aware that she's not related to him. Women sometimes refer to themselves as sisters, among their girlfriends and such, in a jaunty way, so I think it'd work.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I know that, for me, a comic doesn't really "come alive" until the sound effects and other things are translated. I might not notice them much individually, or spend much time reading them, but I definitely hear sound effects in my head when they've been translated, and not before. I'm basically missing out on part of the experience. If it's just the text in the speech bubbles or whatever, I tend to only focus on that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

Reading this on my phone so I didn't even notice.

If he can instantly learn skills by touching books, he should just go to the library and touch everything in the "how to" section.

Yay! :keke: I'm a level 2 Deck Refurbisher now!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I hope he goes and saves that slave magician girl. :( Don't let her be sold off into slavery! That's so sad!!

Well, I guess if he doesn't save her we can always count on Liam Neeson.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The real reason is that he's afraid if he puts too many points into Wisdom he'll turn into a wizened old man.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What does "Witch of Massacre" even mean? She's the Mass Murder Witch? It's her job as the Massacring Mage? The Mistress of Mayhem and the Wicked Witch of loving Your poo poo Up? She's the wily wizard who hails from the town of Massacre Gulch, up the ways from Slaughter Valley?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Maybe "Girl mode" is just for fun and convenience, while "Battle mode" she looks like a craggy earth creature?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Even though it's a bit cliche and everyone could see it coming, I still like Noum, her little costume is kind of adorable. :3: I'd like to see her in action, though!

You know, it's funny, but this story is just one huge long training arc, but I don't mind it at all. Maybe it's because the training is the whole point of it all, rather than a break in the action, the way it would be in a shonen manga.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Shell be She-Thing with rocky pigtails.

It'll be like her normal cute, tiny head on The Hulk's body, and she'll keep making the :haw: face. It'll be awesome.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ice Phisherman posted:

Their goofy rear end souls are now one.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"Attack on Gnomes" has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

ActionZero-- that is amazing, I wish I could rate posts "5". :D

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wittgen posted:

I really liked the picture of him fighting with his earth elemental. They are an adorable duo.

I kept reading on and on, looking for that exact scene. We need to see more of them!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Doesn't the sick girl have a lot of points in Wisdom? I wonder how that's helped her?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Dark Gamer plays Cookie Clicker.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mysticblade posted:

Re: Monster is interesting, yeah. But shouldn't we make another thread for this later, or is it cool to just use this one?

It should probably have another thread if it turns out to be good! I read the few chapters that were on but somehow it didn't really click with me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh wow, now he's even getting skills named after him, D&D style! Can't wait till he creates "Han Jee-Han's Horrifying Hex (Level 10)". :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nice to see a teenage character in a fantasy comic actually getting kind of worried and confused when their parents decide to leave all of a sudden! Most of the time you see adolescent characters just sort of getting along just fine even when their parents are just mysteriously "gone" for some reason, so it's kinda neat to see Jee-Han worrying about bills and other necessities.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

He should use his new 2:1 time-slowing barrier skill to give himself more time to level up his 2:1 time-slowing barrier skill. Then when he's gotten it up to, like 10x normal speed, he can use that to quickly catch up on all his other skills!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Turn noclipping on! Go hog wild!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh, I thought he was going to use his time barrier for some extended power-studying! Instead, nope, it's more grinding ogres!

I kind of wish that they'd move on faster. What I enjoyed was seeing game concepts applied to real life, or "real life consequences" of game mechanics, not literally 20 chapters of a dude grinding.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Silento posted:

Hey man, haven't you ever played a kMMO? :v:

Admittedly not, but that doesn't mean that the comic needs to read like one! :gonk:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Punc posted:

New chapter
In which our protagonist gets even more OPed

What does it mean that Wis "makes your thinking skills better"? How is this different from Int making your smarter?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

So how much int does he need to gain photographic memory?

How much wisdom does he need to gain Critical thinking? Or basic logic?

Also when will he use his summoning skill to reverse engineer a banishment skill.

And for christ sake open up the options menu and fiddle with the graphics sounds and controls, increase draw distance! Change the lighting settings at night, turn off ambient sounds when you want silence, mute people! Put up LFGs, make a friends list, block people. There is alot here I want him to explore that he is missing.

I bet that's because he's missing out on Wisdom, so he lacks the lateral thinking ability to try things like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's like watching Cookie Clicker in the form of a human being. :stonk: