Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Death Bot posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks that he needed to dump all of his stats into Luck right?

That sort of depends on how luck works, in most games it's either a pretty terrible stat or a stat only for very specialized builds. Also, even if luck works more like it would in real life remember about how you get punished by karma or whatever if you affect the real world too much? So if he dumped into luck and won lotto or something he might get punished in some way. He has some skills that he knows are based on intelligence, he has some stuff that he wants to get using intelligence and he knows that it's a useful stat for everyday life, so I think he made the best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PrivRyan posted:

I'm actually enjoying this. On chapter 2, going to 3 in a minute.

It just gets better and better. Give us a trip report when you catch up! :haw:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was a great chapter.

It's hilarious/sad that Jee-Han is half way through curing Hwan Sun-Gon's daughter of her life long affliction with his basic healing skills. Also the skill envy at the end was hilarious. I wonder if he will run into her again, end up healing her permanently and get to learn some stuff from Hwan Sun-Gon out of gratitude, stuff like the teleport skill. *drool*

Also :wtf: at that options menu, I wonder what else is lurking in there?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Writer dude, no matter how much you try to lampshade it, lovely anime clichés like transfer students will still be lovely.

Especially the second time.

While it does fall into the anime cliché of all the story relevant teens being in the same class I don't really mind it. I'm speculating to some extent but I figure the reason she is there is because after being healed by Jee-Han she is well enough to go to school again, she probably really wants to go so she can have something approaching a normal life again and her father decided to have her put in the same school he teaches at so he can keep an eye on her and be there if she collapses again.

What I question more is why is her dad teaching there? Is it just a cover story? Is he really an accredited teacher and just happens to have magic powers too? Is he at the school for some specific reason?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

A thousand bucks is a lot of money if you're a high schooler, plus with how easy that was for him he could farm up like 50 of them in like a day or two. 50k for a couple days of work? Hell. loving. Yes.

Also she is a huge tease and it's hilarious.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Well they did invite him to join the clan, which they never offered to do before. And Sae-Young rather conspicuously was very scantily dressed when they asked that, to the point where Jee-Han was inwardly asking why the grandfather/master was not saying anything about it.

:v: The theory isn't right, probably, but it'd be a neat twist in my opinion. Especially if flame-fist girl or black summoner guy (I am bad with names) are the ones who inform him.

I'm pretty sure they never offered because he probably never showed an interest in martial arts outside of fighting games and didn't appear to have an ability. Now he does have an ability and he is going to be pulled into the dangerous world of ability users whether he likes it or not and the clan would offer him some protection from those dangers until he's strong enough to stand up to them on his own.

As for Sae-Young I get the impression that she always dresses that way, it's a pretty practical getup if you're a martial artist and/or lazy. I think she just likes to flaunt her stuff at him because he gets all flustered over it and she finds that funny as hell. If she was really trying to seduce him would her amusement at his embarrassment be so obvious? If she always acts like this grandpa is probably just going "this again? :rolleyes:" at her instead of commenting on it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

joachim783 posted:

Thanks for posting this thread, this manwah is awesome. I just had a read through the untranslated chapter 31 and the translator made a mistake in the price of the hammer, sae-young noona offered jee-han 10,000,000 won not 1,000,000.

Mysticblade posted:

10,000,000 Won comes out to about $9655 USD. Was the original amount in words or numbers? I'm not really sure how a mistake like that would make it through.

Conversion for reference.

Probably more likely that the typesetter made a typo that did not get caught.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I haven't read 33 or 34 because I'm waiting for a translation by someone who knows both korean and english. :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The translations aren't too bad from what I can tell, not having the whole thing on one page is annoying though.

Yeah, after giving them a try they are not nearly as bad as I thought they would be, still nowhere near BAP's quality though.

So it turns out that the inherent "Gamer's Mind" passive has drawbacks, mainly stuff like changing your mentality so that contemplating committing murder probably has about as much emotional impact as contemplating what to have for lunch. Though this raises the question: Why does Jee-Han find the change in mentality disturbing when he has "Gamer's Mind"?

Anyway, either ol' Jee-Han is just irresistible to the ladies or he's irresistible to sadistic people, I'll bet on the latter. :unsmigghh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Evil Thing posted:

What the gently caress is a "Noona"? I'd assumed it was some kind of honorific except now it's being used as a noun. :psyduck:

It's sometimes used as an honorific and sometimes as a noun, much like sensei in japanese. Korean honorifics all tend to be like that. In this case she is making it clear that she is older than him, but still in the age range that he should consider attractive, basically a combo of "look what a hottie I am" and "better show some respect, brat"

Noona is specifically what a younger male should address an older but not much older(i.e. senior citizen) female as. Younger female to older female = unni, Younger female to older male = oppa, Younger male to older male = hyung and for anyone younger than the speaker it's dongseng.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Just use 'senorita', it works perfectly.

Yeah, but it's supposed to be an english translation, isn't it? :v:

Plus we'd have people wondering if she's spanish or something.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sacro posted:

That's the thing though: learn Japanese or Korean if you shudder at the thought of losing precious context. As has been discussed, translating loses a lot of context and subtlety from the original work regardless of how skilled the translator is or how literal or liberal they are working. Drawing the line at leaving honorifics in is asinine and alienating, just make it fully understandable in the target language. The reason we are even talking about this is because people don't know what the gently caress noona is and it cannot be inferred by context, and this place is about as smelly nerd haven as it gets.

You are saying both:
  1. Who cares about "precious" context or nuance.
  2. Make everything fully understandable in the language being translated into.

You can't have it both ways.

Furthermore a lot of people did infer roughly what "Noona" meant from context and as it turns out a simple google search for "noona" yields a whole bunch of articles explaining what the various korean honorifics mean in fairly simple terms. When I first started reading korean comics(I won't say manhwa since that might cause you to blow a fuse of some sort) I simply did a quick google search and five minutes later I knew what these terms meant and they were no longer a problem for me. If actually putting in a very minimal effort to learn something makes me a "smelly nerd" then so be it, I'd rather be that than be ignorant.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised he didn't buy the slave girl to release her. Seems like something he'd do.

Also that's definitely not his mom.

Considering how much many of those magic books cost a slave would probably be pretty expensive, as in more than he could afford, I could see him doing it in the future or more likely going after the slavers once he is powerful enough.

And yeah, I'm awfully suspicious of his Mom's level and title suddenly showing up, the question is who would be strong enough to deal with his ?? level mom? The only people I can think of are the Abyss Auction or his friend's clan, but I don't think the clan are bad guys so that leaves the Abyss Auction guys or an unknown third party. Or we are just wrong entirely.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ethiser posted:

She might just be a summon she has to take her place while she is out doing Abyss stuff.

Huh, that would make some sense, they even introduced the idea of minions/pets this chapter. Of course they also introduced the idea of magically bound slaves, so one could take that idea in much more ominous directions. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I don't blame him for being nervous about wasting even one stat point. I've played korean mmos and some of them are just brutal with how stat allocations are set up. In Ragnarok Online int based classes had break points for int, so going from 123 int to 124 might gain you 1 point more damage on your spells, 125 to 125 though? That was a boost of 500 damage. They also set it up so that the only way to hit the highest breakpoints was to put every point into int and get the best .001% drop rate items, .001% drop rate items that drop from a special boss that appears in a semi-random location on a 12 hour timer. I'm not even exaggerating here.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Actually, isn't that 90 Int technique off limit to non-clanmates? I seem to recall something along that line. They're willing to teach him their basic techniques because he's a friend of the clan, not so much the top-level stuff.

It was in the box of books that they let him try to learn. I'm pretty sure they don't mind since they just handed it to him.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

occipitallobe posted:

It's an MMO, they're designed around each level taking longer than the last one to acquire. I imagine grindy Korean MMOs are considerably worse on this.

Yeah, at the upper levels in RO you needed to kill hundreds of thousands of mobs to gain a single level, hundreds of thousands of mobs that were 20 to 50 levels higher than you. Then you reincarnated and started back at level one so you could unlock your true class.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Here is a fun one:

Notice the scientific notation used for required exp numbers on the left. 1.0 was good times, too bad they tuned it downwards later on. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There should be an avg. EXP per enemy line there as well, but I guess it's too much effort.

No no no no no no no no no no.
NO. Please dont remind me.
I played Beta Maplestory.
That was months long slogs just to get to the 2nd job level. gently caress even getting out of the beginner class took a good day if you're not a poopsocky optimiser.

And it didn't get much better on release. To give a hint: In the old versions I only ever reached level 41. I fired it up 2-3 months ago when I got wind of this brand new retool of the entire game, makes everything super straightforward and leveling up a complete joke the first 40 levels: I got to level 70 in a week, and you know what? It was fun. But then I hit a ceiling and when I felt that slog again I just dropped the game right there.

Korean MMOs are a blight and anyone who takes game design notes from them needs to get their lights knocked out.

Hmmm, I disagree to some extent. I think there are things to be learned from that style of game or no one would play them. But I think we should probably end this discussion, we are getting pretty off topic here. I'm pretty sure that Jee-Han will improve and level up at the rate needed to move the plot along. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Blargh. :barf:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Pretty sure that was just a mom waving her son closer. Yeah, it's magic, but something all mothers have access to.

Yeah, that's a common gesture I've seen in Japanese media too, it just means "Come here."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Honestly I'm just hoping he figures out a way to turn it into bullet time so he can really start breaking the world as we know it. :unsmigghh:

If we really want to see him break things we should be rooting for him to find how to open the console.

Han_Jee-Han(0012E089).modstat Intelligence 9999

:getin:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dan7el posted:

I think the stats have more to do with his "gamer" abilities than his real-life. Here he is with this massive intelligence, and has he really begun to shine in school? Not that the author has shown, really. Maybe he has, but we don't see it. What does huge INT do for him? Gives him a larger mana pool and higher mana regen rate along with the ability to learn more awesome spells.

I don't see an immediate, direct connection between gamer stats and real-life. Sure, there might be some correlation, but it doesn't seem to be that huge. So, will a lower WIS really be that bad?

In games, there are some stats for certain classes that just don't matter. I'm pretty sure a WoW Tankadin needs Stamina and Strength, but INT is not high on the list of things he needs. Sure, he needs some, but a Tankdadin rarely runs out of mana due to low INT (I think -- unless he tries to heal. Then, it's OOM right away). However, your mage would want a very high INT but care less about STR.

Could be the same with "The Gamer". Maybe WIS just isn't an important stat for his play-type.

Also, I feel like some of you do that we, the readers, are being trolled by the author here. I find it pretty funny to see the main character completely ignore what could possibly be the most important real-life stat he would use. Who doesn't need more WIS in their daily lives?

It actually did make school/learning easier for him, it was mentioned in one of the earlier chapters.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

This also depends on how the luck stat actually works. What if instead of "luck = good things happen to you more often" it's "luck = unlikely things happen to you more often"?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That Jee-Han will be vulnerable isn't really in question, but he will be vulnerable because it's necessary to help create tension in the narrative. Still, it has been said that many abyss goers use stuff like conventional rifles, so I would not assume his near invulnerability to bullets to be useless, just not all that useful against the really big threats.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

You know, when Jee-Han does raise wisdom this is gonna happen:

*Jee-Han dumps some points into wisdom*

!

Jee-Han: I just realized something.

Jee-Han(looking into distance nobly): Only now that I have raised my wisdom do I realize that in the past I lacked the wisdom to do so.

*chime* Your Wisdom has increased by 1.

*Jee-Han stares at the floating message with an extremely annoyed expression on his face, and then sourly closes it*

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

:wtc: Jee-Han, that left a crater like an artillery shell. So now he has a gatling gun like mana arrow, can chuck mana spheres that are as strong as artillery strikes, can leap buildings in a single bound, can deflect bullets with his bare skin and has a side-kick who can slap giant monsters down with a stone club three times her own size. What a cheaty character.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Irisize posted:

I thought it was just the normal spell chant with ominous wording that people use.

Yeah, that's what I got too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

...What.
Please no Battle Harem. No.

But Elemental compatibility?
Jee Han will be all up in that poo poo.

Also she totally just spirit bombed the golem.

Well, she's a vamp that vamps, so it makes sense. :v:

Anyway, I strongly suspect that kiss was a covert way of casting some sort of spell on Jee-Han, maybe some sort of surveillance spell so she can better keep track of him.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Loli Nuna or Sporty Nuna, which one is the best Nuna??

Loli because I find her attempts to flirt with Jee Han to be more hilarious. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

They had a bit of a translation error with Jee-Han's flying speed, 62 MP/s works out to 223,200 MP/h. :lol:

Also, that door looks dangerous, he should probably just avoid it.

GO INSIDE JEE-HAN! :getin:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I think MP/s is the amount of MP he is using to fly not speed.

It literally says "Maximum speed 100KM (Approx 62miles per sec)"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Jesus Christ Gnome, stop giving me diabetes(never stop). :kimchi:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Davinci posted:

What game is this from?

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was cute. I'm glad to see that she is doing well. :kimchi:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think it will. The fact that Kumo doesn't always interpret things correctly, or fully understand what's going on (for example, how she still hasn't managed to actually access any of the magic skills she's acquired because she didn't know the prerequisites) makes me think that the author is going to be able to keep things interesting. She's screwed up in the past, she'll screw up again.

Also the extend fight with the ape monsters was great, even with the translation being so rough I could tell what was going on, where Kumo was in relation to the apes and so on, writing like that is way harder than it seems so for it to come through in the translation so well was really great.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

"Loli Teacher" :allears:

"Okay mom."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So uh how often does this update?

I believe it's weekly.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Evil Thing posted:

The class president is the gift that keeps on giving.

Girl moves drat fast. :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno I could gently caress up the prices back in the day on WoW auction houses by dumping a couple hundred of any given item at once. :v:

WoW auction houses had a few thousand per server participating at once, and only a small percentage of those people participating in earnest. The market Jee Han would be messing with probably has tens of millions of participants at the very least.