Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That sort of depends on how luck works, in most games it's either a pretty terrible stat or a stat only for very specialized builds. Also, even if luck works more like it would in real life remember about how you get punished by karma or whatever if you affect the real world too much? So if he dumped into luck and won lotto or something he might get punished in some way. He has some skills that he knows are based on intelligence, he has some stuff that he wants to get using intelligence and he knows that it's a useful stat for everyday life, so I think he made the best choice.

Yeah, the example explicitly given was 'using power to win lotto = get hit by bus', so Luk could be kind of bad. Unless he is special and doesn't get karma hits, but we haven't seen that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

All this stats chat has made wonder if he would get swole as gently caress by dumping his points on STR :v:

He seems to think so - he points out that he added a bunch of stats to strength in either the first or second chapter, and says he was stronger when he tested it out. He also thinks higher int = smarter IRL, but we haven't seen any results of that. I was hoping his reaction in the school in the latest chapter was going to be him going 'wow this is all baby level easy, but nope, time freeze.

DrSunshine posted:

Except that he's simultaneously stuck in a chi-power fighting manga at the same time, so instead he's dumping all his points into INT and seeing what that awesome skill is. Which, thinking about it, isn't necessarily such a bad idea in real life.

This is also incorrect, he's dropping points in Int because his thought is that int is the most important stat for a normal life, his mom wants him to be a doctor so clearly he needs to be smart. His friend points out that 'woah that's one of our highest techniques, we aren't gonna teach it to you' and he's like 'oh yeah, I know, it's just a good thing to aim for stats wise since that's the highest requirement I've seen'.

He's still in the 'I don't want to just be part of The Abyss, I need a normal life' mode.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 22, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The logic of the 'punishments' seems to be more 'does it affect normal people a lot?'. So selling food doesn't do anything except affect them to like your food - winning the lottery might steal millions of dollars from the normal person who would normally win it, or something like that, I guess?

Then again, things are dropping 500 bucks now, who needs to win the lottery when you can level up and get rich?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Einander posted:

The point of his power is that it imposes game rules upon the world. It continually alters the parts of reality that he's perceiving and interacting with. They may not have had character levels before, but they do now, just like enemies drop items when he kills them; remember how Sun-Il was gaining experience from killing zombies a few chapters back? They may not raise those levels in the same way that Jee-Han does, but their changes in strength and skill get quantified into levels the moment he observes them.

So yeah. It'd be cool to have someone else who has the same sort of power, just with a different ruleset, and who therefore gets to ignore his imposed rules.

Or levels could just go up from experience (in the non game meaning). Sun-Il was getting tiny amounts of experience for killing zombies because even if they're weak he was 'learning' and experiencing it.

Jee-Han just has a system where he himself levels up in a way he knows he levels up - Sun-Il gained levels early in the story (from 23 to 25) via undergoing some 'pretty serious training', nothing to do with the game ability.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm interested in seeing how he bridges the gap in stats between him and Sun-Il - he explicitly states that Sun-Il's stats are huge for his level, and it's clear he's been training his body for years.

I'm guessing it will be more passive skills/raising his passive's levels mainly, but I wouldn't be surprised if he started finding stat manuals as well as skill ones, eventually.

Edit: one thing that can't be stated enough is that this comic has the perfect pace of 'learning the setting' as well as 'explaining the abilities'. It doesn't become a wordy mess like a lot of comics, while also showing enough to keep you feeling like you're getting more informed. A lot of comics/books fail by giving you a massive info dump in chapter 1-2 that makes it a pain to read.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Elite posted:

The series doesn't even have enough girls for the famous anime triple-date. Immersion ruined.

There's uhh... fire fist girl and Sun-Il's sister.

I think that's all of the girls that aren't his mom that we've met so far?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm guessing that yunhon soul recovery normally carries some risks for the user, and certainly can't be spammed. Hwan Sung-Gong doesn't have any way of knowing that Jee-Han has a bizarre reality bending ability, or that he would gladly help if asked. Pretty much the only thing we know about Sung-Gong is that he doesn't trust people with his daughter. So, he is either going to try to get Jee-Han's aid via force or else continue with his original plan instead of trusting some random kid.

I'm guessing that soul stones probably are either literally made of souls or made of spirits (like the zombies) but harder to make.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ZerodotJander posted:

Is there any reason to believe Hwan knows the MC healed his daughter, as opposed to "She's magically absorbing life force from all these spirits I'm trapping and my plan is working!"

He knew she was sick and pointed out that he helped her. And also told her that he healed her right as Hwan was showing up behind him. So he might have overheard that. Or just been told by Hwan-daughter.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

booksnake posted:

He already has Summon Sun-Il, what more do you need? :v:

He will call Sun-Il one day while in a higher level dungeon than he can handle, and be given the option 'do you want to recall party member?', and then Sun-Il will teleport.

Either that, or it will work like a LFG mechanic, where Sun-Il will get the call and then get a screen saying something like "Dungeon is ready, would you like to teleport to your party? Y/N"

:v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I have no opinion on strong vs magic with characters, but I really liked the justification for why he went mage. Yeah, Intelligence is always the magic stat, and IS way more useful in modern society than being able to lift a couple thousand pounds. I expect him to maybe branch out more from Int once he starts getting more in the Abyss, and stronger things start coming his way.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think Sun-Ill's family is the one who gave the information out. They (or at least, the grandfather) clearly want him to join the family/clan due to his potent his ability is. This is a really easy way to get him close - have him get intimidated, then offer to protect and let him train while living with you.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm still banking that his mom is gonna die or get hurt in a fight or disappear any day now. They've been sitting on the mystery of her and his dad for a while and now the Abyss is noticing him and someone close to him is after him. It'd absolutely be fitting if something happened while he was away from home if someone powerful came looking for him and ran into his mother instead and a fight broke out.

They'll ambush him mom 'on screen' and we'll be left assuming the worst. She will call him a few chapters alter asking how his studying is going, and we will see dead bodies all around the room.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I initially thought it referred to people that would be coming after Jee-Han to steal his mana. :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I thought he'd do something like proclaim he needs to start grinding his ID Create, so he could stop time all he needs.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Chapter 31

Looks like he's making a bit more money now. Also, Sae-Young teasing him makes me laugh.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I still think that Chunbumoon is going to turn out to have set him up and been leaking the details specifically so they could have him stay with them under guise of 'protecting' and 'training' him.

If they get items dropping and buy them from him for cheaper than otherwise, the clan could get a huge boost in power as everyone gets some pretty sweet weapons and potentially armor. That'd be a big benefit.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Eh, I don't know. He's known this family for a long time, and his powers never manifested until recently. They would have no idea how useful he'd be, so that's one hell of a long con for something of unknown utility. I'd expect his mom to be up to something before these guys.

We're not assuming that they've been doing this the entire time they've known him, just that since he revealed his powers to them, they told the market, so the market would approach him, so they could scare him into getting closer to the family, so they could take advantage of the new ability.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Well they did invite him to join the clan, which they never offered to do before. And Sae-Young rather conspicuously was very scantily dressed when they asked that, to the point where Jee-Han was inwardly asking why the grandfather/master was not saying anything about it.

:v: The theory isn't right, probably, but it'd be a neat twist in my opinion. Especially if flame-fist girl or black summoner guy (I am bad with names) are the ones who inform him.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

She is actually ?? Because she is the leader of Jee-Han's faction (his family) and faction leaders are always super high level.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I didn't think about it, but his observe skill is probably outrageous - he can outright tell what magical items do. It'd make scamming him a lot harder than someone else. Sae-Young could tell it was magical, but I doubt she has the ability to say exactly what it does.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Well, the former BAP members are at least getting set up. They also got some people from helZ0ne, no idea what they used to do.

Edit: Apparently they straight up took over the former Helz0ne website, combining into a new team. That's neat :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I honestly don't know how you'd translate Noona. You can translate something like onee-san as 'older sister', but Noona refers to such a wide variety, and is used in so many ways. A hot older girl? Noona. A very close family friend? Noona. Sisters? Noona. Random girl you need to be respectful to? Noona. Heck, it's even pretty common for aunts and stuff to insist to be called noona in media at least, because it makes them sound younger.

I suppose you could translate every one differently, but that requires looking at the tone of the conversation... something scanlators aren't very good at a lot of the time.

edit: It'd probably end up with poo poo like the witch saying 'this sister' which in terms of her flirting would be very creepy.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 26, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, but it's supposed to be an english translation, isn't it? :v:

Plus we'd have people wondering if she's spanish or something.

Yeah, having f her use a Spanish word would be... awkward. I would definitely notice and be like 'what the heck' even though I speak (highschool level) Spanish and obviously know what that means.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm not sure about translating it to kid either - it works, but it sorta changes the tone. While referring to yourself as noona is a sign of being haughty/having a high opinion of yourself, but while it's a bit uncouth it's not really offensive to the person you're talking to. Calling them a kid is very offensive, at least in my opinion.

I'm not sure why I'm examining this at all, because it doesn't matter.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Boy I sure love the taste of these DONUTS

the DONUTS are delicious

yeah I love jelly filled DONUTS.

brock, you make the best DONUTS.

Edit: gently caress

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

dog kisser posted:

Jee-Han is just not specced for PVP, is all.

Well, this is sort of true. Jee-Han explicitly doesn't have much training against 'real' people, which his friend said is what makes the Abyss dangerous to him. Even if he can keep calm under pressure, they don't have inherently stupid actions like giant ogres that ignore all pain and charge blindly. Even if he had some of the strongest powers in the world, the grandfather would be right - he lacks experience in fighting, except against slow moving stupid zombies, stupid giant zombies, and stupid ogres.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Shakugan posted:

"limitless upward momentum"? Do Korean MMO's not have level caps?

Even if they do, he hasn't been shown to have any limit on the number of skills he has. Maybe he'll max out his stats at some point, but he'd still be theoretically able to learn more skills, and level those, giving him more options if not straight up power.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

He's needs to break the 'game' by finding something like DA's Arcane Warrior spec. 'Use Int in place of strength when determining what weapons or armor you can use'.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm kinda surprised, looking back at the Auction, that he never bought the book on Illusion Magic. It was right there as he was fretting about being unable to dodge and needing a tank. I guess Jee-Han is really good at missing the forest for the trees.

It's almost like he makes unwise decisions :hehe:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Just to note, it hasn't come up yet but we learned early on that exercise can raise his strength (as well as give xp) and studying can raise his int. By that logic, he should be capable of training himself to at least peak-physical ability.with enough time and effort, without spending any XP.

Or the author could forget they put that in in the first two chapters and it could never come up. Theoretically though, with the time chambers, he could easily work out until he was ripped.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

XboxPants posted:

You're right but he could also just spend that time studying for int instead. He's only got limited time, just like he only has limited skill points to allocate from leveling up. So he's losing out on his min-maxing either way.

Well, I kinda assume that the higher his stats get, the harder they are to raise normally. If you already are the smartest person on the world, what are you going to study to become smarter?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's pretty explicitly the case - Mana, Ki, Qi, Chi, Shinshoo, are all the same energy filtered through the body in different ways, or at least related energies. What makes Jee-Han special is that he has 'mana' that adapts itself to work in whatever way. He could learn a Chi technique without knowing anything about chi manipulation, yet the grandfather could tell it wasn't chi in his body, even if it was having the same effect as chi would have.

That's like... kinda part of why everyone said he was overpowered. You have to remember that Sun-Il's big power that lets him be one of the more powerful members of the clan was 'a bit of a talent in manipulating ki', which supplemented his ability to use acquired abilities. Jee-Han has more than 'a bit of talent'.

Edit: So if he was more of an anime nerd than a game nerd, he might have created a kamehameha (or 'ki blast') instead of a 'mana bolt'.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The first thought I had with the whole 'binding your soul together with a spirit' was Persona, despite that being your soul being the spirit in the first place

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jee-Han will make a contract with other elementals, and then summon Noum/ Gnome and she will act like a sad pouty jealous girlfriend because Hahaha comedy!!!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I feel like I am the only one who likes these chapters. I read this partially because of how hilarious everyone treats him, and having this, a chapter with The Best character in it come out is good.

I mean it is kinda a comedy manwha

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Oh, so she's your favorite too?

Yeah. She's definitely the best.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

paragon1 posted:

Well at least he didn't choose cleric.

"Yer a wizard Jee-Han!"

I don't know man, he's a wizard who can heal. He's basically a uh...

gently caress, I never played D&D besides like one game, and playing NWN2 but there's a prestige class that lets you advance divine and arcane magic right?

he's that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

He only got medium mana now. That means he clearly needs to keep dumping in into until he gets Large at 150/200

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

.Z. posted:

Oh hey, he passed 90 int. Time to learn the Divine technique.

They specifically said that that's an advanced technique, and unless he really committed to joining their clan, they wouldn't teach him it.

So far they are teaching him partially because he's Sun-Il's friend, and partially because he wants to join the clan, but so far he's non-committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

So he did mention that an average persons int was around ten to fifteenth right? Can we assume all that stats are average around ten? Because if so his wisdom was six which explains so very much

The average highschool student is 10 to 15 at least. The class president who gets 100% on all her tests and straight A's is 40ish.

I wish we'd get to actually see the results of him suddenly having three times the intelligence of someone capable of that. I want to watch him memorize calculus in a weekend for fun.