Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Well, in many games wisdom is what a healing character would put points into, and since he's basically all mage damage it makes sense to make that a dump stat. I would be all about putting points into luck though, there have to be some really op features to both the game and your own life to being insanely lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I guess he is picking up some healing after all, in the latest chapter. I like that the story basically alternates between training and rescuing women.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Nahxela posted:

I wonder if he can pocket those curses he pulls out

That would be handy. Dark mage protagonist engage!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Other people are able to get monster drops though, right? There's a whole market full of various items from ID dungeons and whatnot, that's where he got his earth element skill book. Is it just that he makes them drop items more often? At the same time, I do remember something about someone needing him to make the monsters drop items, so who knows.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He could learn to make amazing items in like a week, when it takes others a lifetime. He is a one-man guild!

I don't know why other families haven't come swarming after him trying to recruit him. Not that many people know about him, but still, word has got to be getting around about what a bullshit character he is.

Too bad that he put all his skill points into having lots of mana, and the #1 use of people in the underworld is as mana factories. I sure hope that doesn't come back to bit him in the butt :ohdear:.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

What this series really needs is a Dark Gamer. Someone with the same class as the protagonist, but he's evil and is either a bit more advanced or uses his ability in a different way that hasn't been seen yet. Maybe he uses observe to get information to blackmail people with?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oh yeah, since this is a Korean Manhwa we really do need to see a starcraft-type player. Someone who just works out a bunch of strategies and commands a bunch of minions.

I like the idea of Dark Gamer buying advantages though, making our bullshit protagonist call him out on his bullshit. I guess they could just have bought a ton of rare and powerful items on the auction site that he bought the Earth skill book from?

Also, I want him to meet someone with the same class who just used his abilities to get really good at doing something mundane, like being able to cook really quickly and make high-quality food. There's still a ton of cool things like that to be done with this universe, I have high hopes for the future!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Light Novel, no pictures... :suicide:

I actually do like reading though, so maybe I'll give it a shot later.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Slime posted:

It totally alerted him to danger. He was just not wise enough to prevent it.

I really can't wait for a time when he finally puts some points into wisdom and unlocks another god-tier bullshit skill because of it, or makes a skill like sense danger properly useful.

Fire girl being clueless because of her low int was pretty rad too.

Also, re-reading some of the old ones he really should just pop int up to 90 and leave it there. That way he can go get the divine skill from the chunbu clan that his friend was freaking out over the thought of him having. After all, that was a major reason he started pumping int in the first place.

Given how bullshit all of his skills are, imagine what he can do with grade-A secret clan bullshit techniques!

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 30, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'd be pretty content with a 2:1 time ratio myself. He still has plenty of stuff to train, and doesn't need to fight anything to level it up. Still, he does need to fight more things to get that sweet, sweet money and invisible hat drops.

He better use the hat of invisibility soon, that things so sweet.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm actually surprised the concept of a cheat code hasn't come up yet. Most gaming-centric stories will include them, typically in a dumb and ham-handed way but still, they're there.

Other notable gaming concepts that haven't come up:

-Multiple lives
-Saving your game
-Strategy Guides
-Glitches
-Mini-games

Stuff like that is dependent on the world really treating Jee-Han's ability as if he's a game character, but with so many other little things treating him like that I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up.

I hope he gets into crafting soon, he's got sooo many zombie teeth. He can make a ton of Daryl Dixon-esque necklaces, if nothing else.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

There aren't many MMOs that let you save your game. Create new characters, maybe, but that's something entirely different.

Similarly I can't even imagine how a strategy guide for life would work. :psyduck:

Yeah, I was more thinking about gaming concepts in general that could pop up, rather than specifically MMO ideas. While Jee-Han's gamer ability certainly function in an MMO way, there are concepts from other games in there too, so you never know.

I actually thought of a strategy guide for life as a possible thing because I wrote a short story on that topic in College. The basic jist of it was that a guy finds a straight up magical, or supernatural in some way, strategy guide to life with chapters for different aspects of life (career, relationships, health, etc.) and it would alter those chapters to the reader. So if you worked in fast food the career section might tell you how to get into the good graces of your manager, or just outline how to go get a real job, but if you were a CEO that section would outline higher-level business stuff (Company X is going to release a competing product soon, Company Y has a bright future and should be acquired by your company, etc.). The guide also had a "cheat" section at the end that always told you what was most useful at that moment in your life, the kind of place you'd turn to if you were in a maze and were wondering whether to take the left or right turn. Since I'm lazy, I went with a simple Twilight Zone ironic ending where the guy who found the book was leafing through it while driving, got into a fatal car accident, and the "cheat" page was turned up advising him on how to handle his injuries and stay calm in the situation. Or it was something like that anyway, I wrote it around 3 or 4 years ago.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the discussion or anything, that's just one way that a Life Guide could work. I hope that helped your imagination Blitz.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yes, finally some invisible hat action! I really want him to troll Sun-Il's sister with that now, spook her for some payback for all that awful flirting he has to endure.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Dan7el posted:

He needs to join a guild and start raiding.

I can't wait for him to be in a party and get yelled at for not avoiding the clearly obvious attack. Or get chewed out for taking too many of the items that are only created because of his ability in the first place.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

His abilities are already bullshit, all he really needs is a bunch of magic equipment that he made himself to make his stats bullshit too.

Right now I expect him to either bomb or do poorly on his exam, despite his int, and I won't even blame him because he seems to really enjoy running around grinding all his skills (except for life drain).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

My current D&D campaign (technically pathfinder) has our main wizard played by the dumbest player I've played with, though I do have fairly limited experience. In the past 2 games he tried to teleport immediately after the party telling him that teleporting took you to a random and unpleasant dimension (I had used a teleport item and died in the session before), fired a disintegrate straight onto a magical door and had it reflect back into his face (and barely lived because I'm unlucky), and spent the recent boss fight idling around because he couldn't think of any spells to cast on the giant statue we were fighting. During this same fight a different caster used heightened glitterdust to blind the statue, then heightened grease to make it fall prone.

I was somewhat pissed when he picked up a Robe of the Archmagi (75k GP item) by trading a flesh golem he had created for about 10k to a weaver we met in the current dungeon, which he didn't want after just getting it operational in that session because it wasn't useful in combat, but now I'm laughing because that robe is cursed and preventing him from casting almost any spells. Oh, and the robe can only be worn by evil people, so everyone he meets will immediately know he's evil.

Thanks for linking that city nuke spell combination too, that's actually really interesting. If I ever GM a game, I'm totally going to have a wizard blow up a town by doing that.

Anyway, getting back on Gamer topic, Jee-Han is totally right about Wizards being able to do anything in tabletop games, and with his abilities coming out of nowhere and basically only limited by what he can think up, he really does have just oodles of potential.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 19, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He definitely should work on being a Wizard/Monk type of character. I mean, he has to know that it's an advantage to cast without anything in his hands, and the martial arts clan is right there LITERALLY HANDING HIM Martial arts techniques. Just become a cross between Jackie Chan and Gandalf and never have to worry about being kidnapped for your sweet, sweet mana again.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He also has the hat of invisibility, so he could just go steal the technique. I didn't get the impression that they were too bothered if he learned it though, for all they knew he would have been able to absorb it right away like the other techniques.

He's definitely taking an all or nothing strategy though, hope it pays off for him!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder what a hypothetical him would be like if he had pumped everything into Wisdom. Probably could carefully touch a particular place on the ground and trigger some butterfly effect that ends fights before they begin.

He'd probably have at least a kind of spider-sense, able to predict enemy movements and dangerous courses of action.

I bet he'd be able to really figure out the optimal grinding strategy too. Hopefully he's able to inspect some other people, or enemies, somewhere down the line and we can see what a high wis and a high charisma character can do in battle.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fellis posted:

Hahahaha that wisdom gain, trolling the gently caress out of this thread

I laughed like hell at that wisdom gain. One of the best moments of the comic so far!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

We already had the room of spirit and time, now we have training with weights. Please give me a classic Shonen transformation and then this Manwha will be complete.

Now with all this stat grinding, the question is how does he grind Wisdom and Agility?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, more than a high wisdom character I want to see him go up against a high luck character.

He should just keep flipping a coin and trying to guess if it's heads or tails as part of his training. Surely that's a game of chance that would raise his luck over time! All his other grinding is bullshit, just add bullshit to the bullshit.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

What's being glossed over, I think, is that the girl he's going on a date with has high wisdom and luck, which by now are some of his lowest stats. She also has a big ol' demon curse on her, so when Jee-han figures out a way to cure it with his magic bullshit, she'll probably get a huge power boost and they can pair up to be unstoppable.

I'd still rather that he ended up with the martial arts redhead though.

Also, I can't wait to see gamer abilities be useful during the date, or see him pick up new ones! I expect his "game" passive that lets him stay calm will be useful for sure. Maybe he shapes some mana into a flower for her or something and gets the ability to create simple objects with mana? Anyway, as fun as the grinding is it's time to see him come up with new ridiculous abilities, or use his stuff in odd ways in real-life situations.

Ah, and how did I forget about the obvious dating sim gags? At this point, it'd be a subversion to not mention dating sims at all.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 15, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I just realized that doing soul recovery a lot during the date will both make her feel better and give him the perfect excuse to hold her hand. It'd be nice if he heals her up a lot and then they go do some sort of physical event (running for example) together that she hasn't been able to do due to her curse. Insert joke about Jee-han finding a way to grind even during a date here.

Also, if he follow the Always Sunny DENNIS system, then it establishes value quite well.

I do hope he's able to get rid of her curse eventually though, it seems to make her life very difficult and it'd probably add decades to her life. He'd basically be doing the magic equivalent of curing cancer too, since even her super mage father can't cure her, and is most likely doing very evil things (tm) to try to create a cure for her.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Arkitektbmw posted:

She agreed to go on a date with Jee-Han...

Also, wasn't someone saying something about wanting Jee-Han to face off against a luck wizard.

Indeed, that was me! I wanted him to fight one though, not date one!

They are a fine complement to one another though, stat wise, and I believe she's the only high luck character we've seen so far, which doesn't make too much sense when you have the bad luck to have an unbreakable curse.

As long as there's some Soul Recovery during the date I'll be happy. I don't think I can respect a guy who has a way to ease his date's curse and ignores it entirely to take her on a Ferris Wheel or something instead.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He can do the ultimate grinding now: Go out a date with mana shield and gnome active, while wearing weighted clothes, holding hands with his date and doing constant soul recovery while her dad watches and levels his bloodthirst detection.

Very cute date so far. My favorite bit has to be when she obediently gives him her hand like a puppy for some healing. Bloodthirsty necromancer-dad is a close second.

I wonder if he'll get into trouble later for being so public and honest about his gamer ability? Not necessarily for telling his date about it, but he really hasn't kept it a secret with anyone so far, and with how varied abilities seem to be knowing the nature of someone's ability seems very useful.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I feel like he's going to be grinding to a cure anyway though. Wouldn't it be more expedient for the father to just bribe Jee-han with teleport magics or otherwise convince him to make finding a cure his #1 and only short-term priority, rather than kidnap him? ^^^Also good point, bribe him with protection after the evil guys come after him and the dad manages to save him in the nick of time.

Also, keep in mind that we know the ins and outs of his ability, but so far only the martial arts clan knows the specifics. It could well be that the next page is him laying out all the details of how his ability works in proper Goon fashion, but I'd be surprised if it went that way. He'll probably tell her a bit about his ability, but not too much.

Like I said earlier, I fully expect the news of his ability to get out and for it to really screw him over, I just don't think it'll result from him telling his date.

At this point he's got 2 or 3 danger senses, he always stays calm, and he's farmed up a super forcefield, a summon, mana binding/arrows, etc. Unless he's taken completely by surprise (which seems like the most likely way he'd be captured) or is spontaneously exposed to a toxic or sleeping gas I feel like he can at least make his capture or defeat very difficult. I am itching to see him in a proper high-stakes pvp fight now though, with so many abilities and stats grinded it's time for some action!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Come to think of it, when Glasses Dad was introduced he was fighting on a roof sending out summons to attack the redhead and our hero. Then the friendly clan went and fought him on a rooftop.

This is an actual trend with him, and I hope it continues to its logical conclusion of him fighting on top of the Seoul tower.

On the Jee-han front, his healing ability is by far the strongest and most broken power he's shown that affects someone else, and isn't used just for his own defense/exam skills. When he first got it he was able to turn over a month of recovery time into an instant recovery, and he's only gotten better at it since. If he gets it to the level where he can remove his date's curse, then he could make a fine living working with the auction and selling his healing skills, with his security guaranteed through the Auction and his own increasingly better combat abilities. Basically, just beat up dudes in dungeons for healing potions and go around healing others, and you don't have to grind forever Jee-han!

The best gag of the entire manga though would be for him to become immensely powerful as a character, but not realize (or turn down) the immense money-making opportunities his ability provides due to his low wisdom, while the manga ends with him working as a gas station cashier after saving Korea. The final panel is a pop-up of his change-sorting ability leveling up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

So maybe Jee-han can just disguise his medical practice as a VERY effective and lucky doctor's office?

Serious Frolicking posted:

This manwha is and likely always will be a comedy, so you probably shouldn't overthink it.

Welcome to the thread. Overthinking is all we do.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The first page of the book explains that earth golems are terribly weak to curses and the second page explains how to remove curses from frail young women.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, Jee-han's getting rich as hell just from playing the "game" and using his abilities as Gaia intended. It certainly seems like he could use all that money to set up a fake doctor's office and get to healing just about everybody.

I'm glad that he's hopped right to grinding for the cure though. It's pretty amazing how OP he's become since back when he was panicking while swinging wildly at zombies with a bat.

I expect the evil forces will make their move soon. His mom being out of town is the perfect prelude to serious poo poo going down and either needing his attention for a long period of time or beating him up badly enough that even his healing skills/auto-healing while sleeping doesn't let him recover fully.

Please don't make me remember Oblivion grinding, as well. SO much time spent running and jumping around the capital city while conjuring things.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

She's a useful little summon, isn't she? I bet he gets buried at some point and she digs him out easily.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, if he can add mana potions and a traditional mana shield of "take damage from mana instead of hp" he's going to be really well set up. Keep in mind that his mana regen is still ridiculous, so he'll effectively have a high life regen rate as well. It's actually a pretty brilliant exploit because most games won't let you regen health quickly, but will let you get good mana regen so you can cast all your fancy spells and have fun.

I can't wait to see what he ends up buying in the end, should be really interesting! I hope he picks up a gift for his sickly new girlfriend too. Maybe a medicine maker? :3:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Assuming he picks up his European "take damage from mp" skill, as it stands right now he's most vulnerable to status effects. I believe they'd go right through his shield, and he can't do much if he's silenced/blinded/poisoned (poisoning would likely bypass mp shield)/ put to sleep. Of course, he can still get beat by plenty of high-level Abyss people, who could just punch down his shield way faster than he can regenerate it or drink potions to refill it, while taking negligible damage from Jee-Han's attacks.

I hope that eventually he encounters or develops solutions for all the possible ways we're thinking he could get beaten or killed, so that speculation like this has to get REALLY abstract.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He's been able to remove a curse status, but that's it. He might be able to improvise something on the fly by attempting normal healing while under a status.

I did forget about the psychological immunity factor of the gamer's mind though, I was remembering it as just letting him stay calm under pressure but I think it does protect him from mind-affecting statuses.

Mostly, I want to see him get into more (really, any) PvP fights, and have to come up with an ability on the fly to win. It doesn't make too much sense with all the grinding, but maybe something like channeling mana through a lighter he finds to make a flame element attack and beat an ice mage, that kind of thing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Spinning Mana Arrow got enhanced by the 'proper' magic arrow.

It's a new separate spell.

Yeah, with the high arrow count and the skill referencing his existing "Gamer Style" spinning magic arrow, it seemed like they just combined. Looks like the skills he comes up with are equal to ones he could buy online, which is good for him to know and was the whole reason he bought that skill in the first place.

It doesn't look like he bought the European-style mana-shield (take damage to mp) though, so that's a pretty big weakness in his defense right now. It's definitely sick that he can cast all his buff spells, wait a minute to recover mp, then turn on all his "toggle" skills like mana shield and have hp regen and bronze skin that can make you semi bulletproof for 29 minutes.

Jee-Han is going to be doing prep-time shenanigans that put Batman to shame soon. I also hope he unlocks a new dungeon type and goes to grind there for awhile, if we're going to get more grinding (and of course we're getting grinding). He can get some really valuable and unique items from killing monsters, especially bosses, and I want to see him steamrolling mobs with all his buffs and bullshit going.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

We really need a dating sim/Persona arc at his high school. Maybe after he takes the exams that are always 2 days into the future and aces them he becomes popular with the ladies at school?

Also, if there was steady plot going on we wouldn't be able to debate what he's still vulnerable to and how he should be building his character, and let's face it that is at least 90% of what's in this thread.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He can use upwards of 2,000 MP at once too. I wonder how big the mana bomb would be if he did that?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I know it's been recommended in this thread in the past, but I have to join in on recommending Re:Monster. I started reading the manga on a whim tonight, and now I've read that and the light novel translation and am horribly behind on work, which I'm now grinding Jee-Han style with grit and coffee.

The short summary is it's the Gamer with an even more overpowered ability and a Lelouch-style/self-interested main character. Also much more of a crafting/group leadership focus than Gamer's ability grinding: in fact, the nature of the MC's ability is such that he doesn't really have to grind most things. There's also sexy times in it, although the only really graphic stuff is what the translators made up on their own and included with the translation.

Obviously if you're reading the novel it's words instead of pictures, but I found it suitably compelling. I'm pretty interested in discussing it, though I'm not sure enough people will take it up to make it worth its own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He should learn delayed Mana bomb.
Ready it with a bunch of mana and then release at a later date.

Yeah, there has to be a way, even if it takes crafting or buying stuff, to load a bunch of mana into a small container and then deploy it later. Mana Bomb grenades, basically.