Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It would have to be an ability to nullify all abilities or an 'MP = 0' curse, since he's able to run 'physical/chi' abilities and special attacks off of his MP, (which also means his game ability is running a simplified system to his benefit.)

Agreed that he's running into the classic Red Mage 'but my MP regen is my greatest strength! If I spend more than I regen what's the point!?'
However the only thing that really uses any large amount of his MP is Spiral Energy Bolt. He does need more Nukes/high MP.

He could also summon more Elemental Spirits but he probably won't think of that since the other problem with high regen is basing the 'worth' of things off of it.

A Big FF style Summon that does a bunch of damage though? Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's old-style KMMO.
Ragnarok Online is what I get the most vibes from it but it's also one of the few KMMO's I'm most familiar with :v:

Either way, it's set up for him to be broken and insane via those systems.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Captain_duck posted:

Yeah its very Ragnarok Online like. And the way to get good in that game is to max out a stat, and then boost it even higher with items. The difference in damage between 100 and 120 STR in that game was humongous.

So yeah keep pumping that INT jee-han.
The other implication of that system that helps him out is that nothing is outright immune to magic. Types of magic sure, but not all magic. Which is another thing that can screw him over since he's focused all of his offense into Magic Arrows, with his only other element type being Lightning at the moment.

jon joe posted:

It's only a matter of time before he sets up a grinding bot simulacrum so he can level while he levels.
He can and has already done this to some extent with his Golems & Gnome.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

nimby posted:

What I'd like to see is him joining and everyone in the guild start getting notifications like the people in his party.
The old man is clearly the leader of the guild, so he would be getting all the popups.

"What the hell Jee Han, how the heck did you match our annual business net worth in a single day. I left that popup thing on the default 5%!"

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 19, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Madmarker posted:

I get it now, the Harem King is Jee-Han, from the FUTURE.
My pet theory is that the Wizard/Harem King is his dad and has a similar ability to him... But a different Genre of gaming (to match his title :v: )

This is a good alternative though. He's already abusing the time dilation barriers a lot, whose to say he doesn't figure out even more advanced methods of casual time travel later?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Elfgames posted:

Harem protagonists woo love interests like billion year old super alien space pirates and ultra super genus robots
While turning out to be a long-lost Space Prince that has inherited the Secret Family Arts of Space Magic. (To use the Muyo Tenchi! reference.)

Now imagine if that was true for all of the women he met in his life.

That's a HECK of a lot of potential Space Magic.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

They're probably farming it.

Or pursuing their stated goal by being the top dog in the region and keeping it that way aggressively.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fabricated posted:

...in like 3-4 months? Levels slow down but it's not like he's going to have a shortage of opponents, nevermind he has a magic roguealike dungeon with increasingly tough enemies in it. Like in a year he's gonna wake up and suddenly realize he's become this massive destabilizing force in Korea's abyss- which I'm guess is where this is going.

Yeah, Jee-Han's only limiting factor is that he needs to grind his skills, which is already an abbreviation for time spent perfecting them, not to mention he can also find ways to adapt/copy things he's seen. He's already a massive destabilizing force in the abyss for the economy due to how he gets drops.

Although a single person being a massive force in the abyss... Sounds like the Existence Eater, one of the big three powers in Korea. Jee-Han's ability affecting others is sort of like that, an Existence Overwrite. So maybe Gaia is grooming him for a replacement of that spot because it found the right person for the job with a similar skillset but one that doesn't imply reality-destruction.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

He's right though.

However hopefully this time won't just be an offhand mention and there will be actual development on this front!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dangit Jee-han, stop being so scared of mere weapons!

If it does not bring your HP to 0 IT ONLY MAKES YOU STRONGER!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

He probably has no idea what he's going to do with them because of the market devalue thing and he hasn't found a situation to use them that his healing technique can't solve.

So they just pile up. And up. And Up. And seriously Jee Han you have over 800 potions do something with them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Or you're Ragnarok Online and you figure 'we've got these great class ideas that are super classes of the old ones. how do we give them to the players? clearly they have to go back and become a SUPER NEWBIE before they can become these sweet new super classes' because your grinding quota exceeds the annual mill time of the world by several degrees.

That remains to be seen but there's no indication that the story will go that way. He's only just joined a guild, clearly the author is going to explore his gamification powers in that direction first.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

First add up all of the Windmills, Watermills, Industrial mills, everything that uses grinding as part of it's process in the world. Then take all of their operation times and add it up over the course of a year. That's annual mill (operational) time.

Should have specified the operation part. Oh well, it was a hyperbolic joke.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

This isn't even a wisdom thing, it's the parallel that his game systems are supposed to represent. Except there isn't a stat for quick thinking.

But yeah, Jee-han, get you some more wisdom, it helps you predict things which can compensate for slow thinking.

Also it's back :woop:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

He's got a massive shortcut in the whole process though, since he figured out spinning magic arrows from experimentation.

When he realizes that learning more about magic will mean more spells he can come up with he'll probably get a lot more excited about it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh boy, more poor shmucks to get added to the party.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Time to show her you're the better Jedi Jee Han. Apply that force to that space! It's not your father! SIZE MATTERS NOT!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Evil Thing posted:

I believe this week should have a new chapter.

Confirmed, this friday will be the first 'new' english update ever since Mangacow stopped covering it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I've been using Webtoon. http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/list?title_no=88

It's the global branch of the official site for the original.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Eopia posted:

Looking at where they're at now, they're still a few chapters behind the leaked chapters that went up on Kissmanga awhile back I thought?

Sorry, I forgot to explicitly state the caveat I've been using:

The Evil Thing posted:

We'll have to pray someone with a better grasp of English than Google Translate picks up the series, because I think Game of Scanlations is the only current alternative.

Those leaked chapters were horrible.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 12, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Double post since it's friday and we get to see a coherent take on Jee-Han after he pasted those fools and got tons of XP for it.

Seems like the makers of the Labyrinth are meta-gaming the system to get around the Dan Bui's Guild ability. Also a potential melee skill for Jee-han!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The boss isn't going to be a kraken.

It's going to be an Octokraken :science:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The slow boil is alright. Part of that is the format it's being presented in but a bundle of things have happened and the threat is escalating steadily.

Big Boner Stacy posted:

I just want him to open the settings menu....

Settings -> System Settings -> Change Resolution to 1920 x 1080.

The Author's slowly getting there too.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 27, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Good ol' Classic "OBJECTION!"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That's kind of the core problem with the series is that it's swapping between world building and character building, except the character building hasn't gotten any deeper and the world building comes in chunks. There has been an uptrend in Sun-Il asking what Jee-Han wants in life which says to me that the series might head towards the deconstruction of the Korean MMO Grinder thing he's got going on.

The art's gotten real good though, it's neat to see artists improve throughout a series.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And I like Master Loli's Initial D skit.

'you put just as much effort into this as flying here with magic, why did you drive'
'because driving is FUN'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That certainly is an idle game. My narrative sense tells me that this'll get tested soon enough and that the results will be mixed. Something along the lines of 'well this is certainly very impressive and well put together but uh, I can cast a spell that instakill's golems. didn't think of that did you.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

One year in the abyss equals TWENTY FOUR YEARS OUT OF IT! MUAHAHAHAHAH!

that means ji-han is already an old man though. Poor Ji-han.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The battle probably.

The war is another thing entirely.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I think it's kind of funny that now it's Shi-Yun's time to hang out at Jee-han's pad.

Mostly because of the rotating door analogy you can make of him inviting them over like this (first was Master Loli, then Prez, now Shi-Yun... Oh and Sun-Il fits in there somewhere too.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh man, Jee-han could totally sell those and not only get a wide network of cat-spying going on but also make even more money than he already is.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

He's thinking about it in terms of 'oh it's another The Company' style of ascension and abyss muckery.
When it could be that it's just using the power of being a kooky benign cult (or to read between the lines, an honest to goodness 'help thy fellow man' religion analogue.)

In which case the question becomes: 'how central is Messing With The Abyss to the tenants of the Church of Masks?'

'cause they could be just carving out a space for the Abyss have-nots to be safe (by being subsumed into the Church of Masks Divine Connection) like how Jihan wanted to save Prez from getting turned into a Mana battery.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Jee Han will invest in wisdom over someone's dead body! :black101:

Alternatively it'll be another The Company standoff, only this time Jee Han is the one superpowered singular force that the combined might of many can't take down.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

'now all of us can have crazy fire ki in addition to being able to cast spells!'
'that's not fair'
'that's funny coming from the gamer'

It's kind of interesting how this has sort of devolved into a very hot cold war where both sides are trying to figure out the right divine/magical BS to break the other's BS.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Welcome to Jihan Han Spiral Magic Missile Hell.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hello there Other Shoe. I see you've finally dropped in.

Also I'm pretty sure that's a song title somewhere. "NO SOUL! NO MASTER!"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

THEY'Z STEALIN OUR SKILLZ :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I think I recognize Mr. Mysterious at the end there.

WHAT IS YOUR GAME!? :argh:

sincx posted:

The MC's strength isn't in raw fighting necessarily. He's overpowered because of his auxillary skills, like being able to learn spells by touching books, being able to use the party system for both leveling and communication, healing, inventory system, observation, etc etc. And that makes the story interesting because it's more about how these secondary skills are so crucial to his success.

Indeed, it's more about the abilities that gamers take for granted (easy access to information, dimension storage, heavily truncated processes of self-development and learning etc.) and how they're crazy bonkers. If Jee-Han didn't have Gamer's Mind (emotional detachment from the game world) he'd probably be a lot less excited and a lot more worried about things.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I almost forgot about those things.

Which really means I forgot about them until they showed up just now :v:

Also here's a link to the official site as an alternative http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/list?title_no=88

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

This looks more like standard Anti Wizard BS rather than Jee Han specific.

Putting pressure on a spellcaster so they can't cast spells is pretty much the best way to handle them.