Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

rock rock posted:

Ok not being a warhams afiaconado, a pick up game is a game, that you didn't organise, that's quite likely played with a stranger? It's not some piece of GW jargon?

People have been using the term pickup game on basketball courts and board game parlors for, I dunno, as long as they have had them. It is not a GW term, it belongs to the WORLD.

Also for the two complaints I have already gotten about this thread and the report, I will address it here. I don't care, this is clearly a comedy thread and not a detailed news report or actual prediction of the future. This place could do with more fun threads, and given the standards of fun in here this qualifies. If you are basing your stock purchases or possible gaming futures off of a thread posted on the Somethingawful forums by noted shitposter Forums_Terrorist, who tells you his intentions RIGHT IN HIS NAME, you should reconsider.

That said, play nice in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

theironjef posted:

If they switch to a model where they have little automated sales kiosks that are stuck outside of game stores and 7-11, I'll be excited to watch their slow death. Also to watch kids shuffle through the menu endlessly since any interactive screen is a videogame to a certain bored mindset.

That would be cool as hell. Could have a 3D printer in there, spit out whatever figs you wanted.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I don't think anyone here really understands companies. Considering as recently as the beginning of 2014 they were only making 'slightly less millions of dollars' it would be really hard for them to go belly-up this year.

They are probably pretty relieved to.have such a relentless defender against those who maliciously misrepresent them for comedy or otherwise.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

AlphaDog posted:

I could swear I've seen various extra bits and pieces sold for highly specific plastic model kits advertised by companies who don't produce the original kit. I'm not talking about gaming models, just plastic tanks and battleships and stuff.

e: I don't mean "1:300 metal masts/antennas for Bismarck battleship", I mean stuff like "1:300 metal masts and antennas for CompanyX Bismarck kit product code XYZ".

It works like that with everything. If I fix my sink I can buy any pipes I want, I don't have to use the official Ronco Pipes with the Ronco Plumbing System. Or car parts. Or a whole lot of poo poo. Also:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I feel like this isn't actually true; the major issue was how GW approached the lawsuit. Ostensibly, you can't manufacture Jenga blocks, brand them as Jenga blocks, and say they are for playing the game Jenga. You can't manufacture Monopoly boards and Monopoly pieces and say 'these are pieces you buy to play the game Monopoly'.

GW botched the lawsuit hilariously badly, but it's not like what Chapterhouse was doing wasn't already toeing the line.

You can't make an exact duplicate of the monopoly board, no. Plenty of places will sell you tiny houses and tiny minis and fake money. GW has held its position by virtue of other people either not having enough cash to do so or who didn't give enough of a poo poo. SPACE MAN IN ARMOR WITH GUN is not a particularly sacred invention. You can't make wooden blocks and say THESE ARE JENGA blocks but again, you can certainly make three inch by one inch by one half inch or whatever the hell jenga blocks are and sell them. The idea of IP does not exist to prevent anyone from ever making anything resembling your product ever, just to keep people from making what you specifically make and what you specifically call it.

• Locked thread