Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Kimi in a stock car was a hilarious adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Michele Alboreto coming in 11-15th place repeatedly in the IRL bad years was also humorous.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Nige loving owned though. I still maintain he was proof of time travel and Alan Turing invented it in WWII. Dude was SO British.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Michele Alboreto coming in 11-15th place repeatedly in the IRL bad years was also humorous.

He was like 69 years old tbf.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nige was fail and I hate him.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also the CART team owned by F3000 champion Christian Danner running Domenico Schiatterella, of all people.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Nige loving owned though. I still maintain he was proof of time travel and Alan Turing invented it in WWII. Dude was SO British.

He's a twat.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

Considering that John Surtees was a thing, I kind of wonder if the US motorcycle scene in its glory days could have produced a good driver. Maybe that was over by the 80s (though Johnny Cecotto actually made it to F1, at least).

Aaron Slight wasn't too bad a tin-top racer either (although not American of course). Smacked F1 thread favourite Tom Chilton in the face when they were teammates in the BTCC.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQZgBiiSDao

the announcers make it

never said he wasn't, but he was one of those cartoon level guys you can't look back on and not think, "how the gently caress did he exist and why didn't I laugh at him more back then?"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Smoke wouldn't have made it in F1 because Bernie would've gotten in the ear of whoever was his team boss to sabotage him.

Duh.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Smoke wouldn't have made it in F1 because Bernie would've gotten in the ear of whoever was his team boss to sabotage him.

Duh.

Seriously though he wouldn't have had the connections or backing, due to not spending time in Europe.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Coyne will be testing Alexander Rossi (american). He was quick in lower series and has some wins in GP3/Formula Renault/GP2. Looks pretty solid that Wilson has moved on.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Coyne will be testing Alexander Rossi (american). He was quick in lower series and has some wins in GP3/Formula Renault/GP2. Looks pretty solid that Wilson has moved on.

I was kind of convinced that Rossi was going to end up a driver at some backmarker F1 team for a year...fail and then wind up in NASCAR.

I'm a tad surprised he's bailed on F1 and went here considering the comments he threw out a few years back, but I mean this should be interesting.

Will he be good? I don't know. But it's kind of nice that the (once) three biggest critics of open wheel racing in the driving ranks (JV, JM, and Rossi) are currently involved in the series in some manner. (I'd love to see JV give it one last go, though I know he doesn't have much left....should have came back in 06...).

We'll see I guess. It at least seems that Indy isn't having trouble on the :911: front in terms of skills being applicable to the style of driving at least. We may not be getting the next Gordon's or Stewart's of the world, but if we can at least get the next Rahal's and Sullivan's? That's drat good for the series

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was kind of convinced that Rossi was going to end up a driver at some backmarker F1 team for a year...fail and then wind up in NASCAR.

I'm a tad surprised he's bailed on F1 and went here considering the comments he threw out a few years back, but I mean this should be interesting.

I think he would have if Caterham or even Marrussia didn't go belly up. There is of course him working with Haas in developing and driving for that team so there is that chance.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

I think he would have if Caterham or even Marrussia didn't go belly up. There is of course him working with Haas in developing and driving for that team so there is that chance.

he is effectively haas' only option if he adamantly wants an american driver, he's the only american with a super license (though RHR is still eligible for one)

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

So this is how far the Indy 500 has fallen out of the public. In Jeopardy, a question of the month and what series of sport and answer what major thing happens. When May and Open Wheel Racing happens, no one answered.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody even watch Jeopardy?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

Does anybody even watch Jeopardy?

Old people.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

Old people.

Are we talking about Jeopardy or the Indy 500?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

Old people.

Jokes on you I wasn't watching, my father and grandmother were. :v:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

old people watch wheel

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

old people watch wheel

Yeah but Jeopardy is always on right before or right after, (depending on where you are) so they watch it too because changing channels on these newfangled flat tvs and tapeless vcrs always makes the stupid thing break and NO I DIDN'T PRESS THE WRONG BUTTON I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

gret posted:

Are we talking about Jeopardy or the Indy 500?

Yes.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

be nice wicka posted:

he is effectively haas' only option if he adamantly wants an american driver, he's the only american with a super license (though RHR is still eligible for one)

IIRC Danica also qualified for a superlicense a few years back by finishing high enough in the IndyCar standings. And given that she drives for Haas, theres' a non-zero chance she could bail from NASCAR to F1 in the future.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

gret posted:

IIRC Danica also qualified for a superlicense a few years back by finishing high enough in the IndyCar standings. And given that she drives for Haas, theres' a non-zero chance she could bail from NASCAR to F1 in the future.

I hope she does so she can further delegitimize F1

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

She'll make Michael Andretti and Scott Speed's career in F1 look like Fangio's.

Do it Danica.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Its F1, its not like there is any driver skill involved anyway.

(someone made this joke before the last time danica F1 rumors came around but i forgot who it was, so sorry i stole ur poo poo mystery man!)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
:haw:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

Its F1, its not like there is any driver skill involved anyway.

(someone made this joke before the last time danica F1 rumors came around but i forgot who it was, so sorry i stole ur poo poo mystery man!)

Yeah but how is she at mind games(tm)? I mean, she seems to think that every backmarker she races with is out to get her.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
She would reach levels of mental collapse not seen since Damon Hill in 1995.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Damon Hill's collapse in '99 was better.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I'm taking over the 2015 thread, so we need suggestions for the new thread title.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indycar 2015: Transitioning to another transition year

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IndyCar 2015: A wayward home for F1 dropouts

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Indycar 2015: Free Swiss Driver To A Good Home
Indycar 2015: Now with 100% less Russian mafia funds

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minto Took posted:

IndyCar 2015: A wayward home for F1 dropouts

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
IndyCar 2015: aero kits and lack of glitz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

So this is how far the Indy 500 has fallen out of the public. In Jeopardy, a question of the month and what series of sport and answer what major thing happens. When May and Open Wheel Racing happens, no one answered.

Indiecar 2015: You still probably haven't heard of it

• Locked thread