Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Indycar 2015 hosted by Alex Trebek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WindyMan posted:

IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oh hell that one just clicked for me. Yeah do that

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
The answer is:

quote:

IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!™

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

George Zimmer posted:

IndyCar 2015: aero kits and lack of glitz

IndyCar 2015: Aero Kitsch

But

KingShibby posted:

IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!™

is gonna win, so do it

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
And put this in the new OP:

http://youtu.be/IjGJ9HKeeT4?t=9m23s

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

So this is how far the Indy 500 has fallen out of the public. In Jeopardy, a question of the month and what series of sport and answer what major thing happens. When May and Open Wheel Racing happens, no one answered.

I think when one circles back to all the problems revolving around Indy Car right now?

Lack of promotion for the "Month of May" has to be the number 1 problem.

Keep in mind that names like "Mears", "Foyt", "Unser", and "Andretti" became house hold names/pop culture references because of this during the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

It's not even a :911: problem. I fully believe that drivers like Dario, TK, Dan, and Helio would have found their way into the hearts of Americans in the same way had they been driving during that era. (Keep in mind that Sir Jackie Stewart was SPORTS ILLUSTRATED SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR in 1973 for example). Each of those guys have a unique type of charisma that I've seen past champs have.

There is no ABC "Wide World of Sports" to promote the event any more. ESPN isn't camped out at practice every day, There are no "LEGENDS OF THE BRICKYARD" being shown....Just stupid things that kind of helped reinforce how important the thing is.

It's a problem that needs to be fixed. Before we can really, truly talk about going back to Michigan and Road America? We got to give the paying public reason enough to pay for a ticket. Sport has some* of the best drivers in the world, but if they don't know who these drivers are? There ain't no reason to buy a ticket.

*Some. I truly believe that Cup, F1, WEC, and Indy have some of the best in their different disciplines.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Indycar 2015: YES! It still exists!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indycar 2015: Transitioning to another transition year

Indycar 2015: Rose-Colored Transition Lenses

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Indycar 2015: Nobody was seriously injured or killed last year!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
aleshin got pretty hosed up tho

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
indyCar 2015: KingShibby's Travel Journal

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

And his wallet may never fully recover.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

IIRC Danica also qualified for a superlicense a few years back by finishing high enough in the IndyCar standings. And given that she drives for Haas, theres' a non-zero chance she could bail from NASCAR to F1 in the future.

it has to be within the last three years, I think, though the FIA could ignore all of these rules and give a super license to anyone they want aka a 16 year old

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

devmd01 posted:

Don't forget about Jack Hawksworth's crash at Pocono that while wasn't a serious injury, it still caused some good damage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobt-Wi53FA

devmd01 posted:

indyCar 2015: KingShibby's Travel Journal

lol I'm not that vein, but yeah next season is gonna :rock:
especially if some major life changes I've been contemplating just so happen to occur...

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You sly old dog, you.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Did your Christmas present get used in an Indycar? Mine did. :smug:

https://www.secondshiftart.com

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Indycar 2015: Dan Wheldon Funeral Tour Season 2

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

Indycar 2015: Dan Wheldon Funeral Tour Season 2

Season 3, way to gently caress up ur joke pnut idiot clown rear end poo poo rear end

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cygni posted:

Season 3, way to gently caress up ur joke pnut idiot clown rear end poo poo rear end

Indycar 2015: way to gently caress up ur joke idiot clown rear end poo poo rear end

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

it has to be within the last three years, I think, though the FIA could ignore all of these rules and give a super license to anyone they want aka a 16 year old

He actually qualifies within the rules by right as one of the top 3 in the FIA European Formula 3 championship.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

I was gonna correct you but then I looked: Dan Wheldon died in 2011 :psyduck:

edit: So it would be Season 4, now who's the idiot clown??

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 25, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

:wth: teacher becomes the student

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Indycar 2015: Idiot Clown Defecation Station

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Indycar 2015: Check out these idiot clowns (but enough about Andretti Autosport)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Indycar: Still bitter after all these years.

edit: I still think "it's a transition year" should be the title :)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

IndyCar 2015: built on the backs of Bangladeshi slave labor

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unrelated to title chat, finally got a copy of The Beast for Christmas from my dad. He also mentioned for the first time ever that be apparently has a desktop model of the engine laying around somewhere and never felt that was worth bringing up before :psyduck:

Gonna have to go back over sometime when it isn't already an hour+ past my daughter's bedtime and see exactly what he's got.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

devmd01 posted:

Did your Christmas present get used in an Indycar? Mine did. :smug:

https://www.secondshiftart.com

It's a transmission gear

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I got Black Noon for Christmas today, and I started it and finished it.

It is not an uplifting story to read on Christmas Day. :smith:

On a related note, has there ever been a time where USAC didn't consist of a bunch of gently caress-ups in charge?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Black Noon is one of the greatest racing books I've read*, but yeah, it's dark as hell and very depressing. It's amazing, the crash really overshadows the 1964 race like nothing else could, but that was probably the most pivotal year in the entire history of the sport. Gas vs. fuel, front vs. rear engine, Ford vs. Offy, Euro drivers vs. American, old guard vs. new, a full on tire war..... every angle had a story and most of those stories have been forgotten except among grognards like us.

*If you think I'm saying that because it deals with a terrible crash, ignore that gut feeling and pick it up, it's about so much more than the crash and I seriously rank it up there with Best drat Garage in Town at the top of the racing book category. It's a really in depth look at the cars, teams and drivers of that race and covers it from early preparation to the end of the season. Easily the best racing book of 2014, at least.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 26, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It is a great book, don't get me wrong, and its doe right fascinating for the non-crash stuff as well.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's more upsetting because hindsight is 20/20. At the time maybe it looked different, but knowing the stuff about safety now, when you read about how the cars were prepared, and what occurred during the accident, I basically spent the whole time reading it and looking like :stonk:

I mean.... really guys? 75 gallons of gas in multiple tanks surrounding the driver on all sides. Really?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This ad, IIRC, ran in one of the Indy papers the day of the race

e- also calling your car "Shrike" is pro tier race car naming

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That American Motors ad, though, :drat:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

That American Motors ad, though, :drat:

The only race Rambler cares about is the human race :smug:

The best picture in the book:

....and they say you can't see a fuel fire, heh, loving liars. Parnelli got dem hops tho

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
IndyCar 2015: All we need is :words:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think 22-23 is a reasonably healthy car count but how worried should we be that half the field comes from 3 teams?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I haven't kept up with the off season stuff. Checking the rule changes, there's no changes to the cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Spaced God posted:

I haven't kept up with the off season stuff. Checking the rule changes, there's no changes to the cars?

Well aero kits are allowed for all races I think.

• Locked thread