Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Nail Rat posted:

Jambi was on 10,000 Days unless I'm missing something.

Nah, I'm an idiot and was tired and missed the HWaP reference, thinking it was referring to sell-out as being purely about their new album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

This kind of poo poo is never up to the artists. This is entirely the music labels doing.

Ok but what is the story? I mean the vast majority of major label stuff is on spotify now and has been on itunes, amazon etc for years so why would Tool of all things be an exception unless the artists had some issue with it?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Earwicker posted:

Ok but what is the story? I mean the vast majority of major label stuff is on spotify now and has been on itunes, amazon etc for years so why would Tool of all things be an exception unless the artists had some issue with it?

My guess is that it has something to do with the drama with their previous label, but who knows. But almost every time I hear about an artists library not being put online, it's almost always the labels fault. Tool probably doesn't really care enough to press it either way, and if it gives them some "prog cred" or whatever, that would be a bonus to them.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Laterlus and 10,000 Days. i don't care what ppl say/ the albums I like the most/ Apprently I am an AWKWARD Tool Fan... more-so than typical

nihil morari fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 1, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

My guess is that it has something to do with the drama with their previous label, but who knows. But almost every time I hear about an artists library not being put online, it's almost always the labels fault. Tool probably doesn't really care enough to press it either way, and if it gives them some "prog cred" or whatever, that would be a bonus to them.

ha that's true it's very "Crimson-esque". I look forward to the 30th and 40th anniversary remasters of Aenima and Undertow

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm just happy I got to see them in a small club in 1996. Maynard used to be a really excellent performer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everything I've heard about Tool and iTunes is that they're one of those bands that thinks listening to individual songs is the "wrong" way to listen to their music so they don't want to encourage it with downloadable individual tracks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Everything I've heard about Tool and iTunes is that they're one of those bands that thinks listening to individual songs is the "wrong" way to listen to their music so they don't want to encourage it with downloadable individual tracks.

You can easily set an album on iTunes so that it is an "album only" purchase instead of individual tracks for exactly that reason.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No one said it was an intelligent reason. A cursory Google search reveals a Huffington Post article from 2009 where a spokesperson said "They're about as album-oriented as a group gets these days. Tool rightfully feels, 'We're putting a lot into our album as an art form.'"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They wouldn't let the fake avatars play their songs when they were in Guitar Hero, and required videos like they do live at their stage show to be played in the background instead. I wouldn't be surprised if they feel the liner notes, cd cases, etc. for their stuff are just as much of the "experience" as the music itself, and that's a sticking point. Then again, you can package digital versions of all that stuff with music on iTunes now so...yeah.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How do you make digital a stereogram viewer? :smug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah that is a good point, Tool definitely goes above and beyond when it comes to packaging and that's not really something that can be replicated digitally though I guess Arcade Fire does a bunch of weird html5 stuff to promote their albums now which is sort of a modern equivalent of elaborate cd packaing

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah, but you can't roll a join on HTML5.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So I caved today and bought tickets to the Houston show. So ridiculously expensive for a set list I've probably seen before. Is it still a con if I recognize the play?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
One of these days, Maynard's going to stop going on tour completely and just perform via skype.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

So I caved today and bought tickets to the Houston show. So ridiculously expensive for a set list I've probably seen before. Is it still a con if I recognize the play?

The perfect con is when the mark is grateful to be conned.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Platypus Farm posted:

One of these days, Maynard's going to stop going on tour completely and just perform via skype.

When this happens, true fans will recognize it as a statement against the impersonal nature of the digital age and retroactively tie it into lyrics from Right In Two.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

In keeping with the topic title, here's word from Adam Jones that the new album is finished and due out this year:

http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/tool-new-album-done-finished-2014-release-date/

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I just got back from the Portland show. It was quite good, the rumors about them phoning it in definitely don't apply this tour. The band was in top shape, Maynard missed a note here or there but overall he wasn't bad at all. They even played alternate arrangements to several songs. This plus the news about the new album make me a very happy Tool fan.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm really excited to hear about the new album. I've been a fan for years and I finally got to see APC and Tool in 2011 and I really did feel like they phoned it in. I'm glad other people agree because I just felt so let down after paying a good amount of money

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I found a setlist from the Spokane show and apparently there's no new material at all, which is either good or bad depending on your perspective. I know some people don't like to be spoiled so I'll just link it.

http://www.inlander.com/Bloglander/archives/2014/03/06/tool-kicked-it-off-in-spokane

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
So people actually like Puscifer? Really? It's not just because it's Maynard? As in, you actually enjoy the music and don't just listen to them because Maynard + edgy + obscure = "ahhh you probably haven't heard of them. It's sorta a post-industrial, alternative, smooth-listening, groveadelic jam band."

I'm dying for Tool to come back, because it's actual music as opposed to portentous noise-bullshit.

They have a song called "humbling river" :jerkbag: The lyrics are about as meaningful and deep as an ICP song.

cname fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 7, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

With a band named "Puscifer" and an album named "C Is for (Please Insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here)", I think you're looking at something he was clearly stating "this isn't important". You're not looking at the beautiful wordmanship in a song called "Vagina Mine".

I dig the composition of the music, and the beat. It's good dumb fun and I think they're good albums.

EDIT: I tell people "it's from the guy from Tool" when I bring them up, so it's not like I'm trying to be obscure about it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

cname posted:

So people actually like Puscifer? Really? It's not just because it's Maynard? As in, you actually enjoy the music and don't just listen to them because Maynard + edgy + obscure = "ahhh you probably haven't heard of them. It's sorta a post-industrial, alternative, smooth-listening, groveadelic jam band."

I'm dying for Tool to come back, because it's actual music as opposed to portentous noise-bullshit.

They have a song called "humbling river" :jerkbag: The lyrics are about as meaningful and deep as an ICP song.

How much puscifer have you actually listened to? Even aside from the compilation releases and the eps and stuff, Conditions of My Parole is a pretty straightforward rock album. Their first full-length has some weird skit stuff on it, but for the most part it isn't really avant garde or pretentious I don't think.

Then again I genuinely like Tomahawk and Peeping Tom, so we might just have vastly different taste.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

IUG posted:

In keeping with the topic title, here's word from Adam Jones that the new album is finished and due out this year:

http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/tool-new-album-done-finished-2014-release-date/

And now he says he was just kidding: http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/rumors/adam-jones-new-tool-record-is-done

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've often held this opinion of Puscifer just judging by Maynard's sense of humor, the band's name and their album titles. Turns out, it's actually just decent, mellow rock.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

FlyingCheese posted:

I just got back from the Portland show. It was quite good, the rumors about them phoning it in definitely don't apply this tour. The band was in top shape, Maynard missed a note here or there but overall he wasn't bad at all. They even played alternate arrangements to several songs. This plus the news about the new album make me a very happy Tool fan.

I was there too, and definitely noticed some gently caress ups from everyone, but a lot of that was because of sound issues. The extended takes on Schism and Lateralus were incredible, especially Danny's drumming on the jam portion of Lateralus. He did some really clever stuff there. I'm always a little disappointed when Maynard intentionally skips singing something, but it was worth it for him to be able to hit the high note in Pushit. Also, Danny's drum solo after the intermission was phenomenal. Dude is insane.

But yeah, it was a great show overall. I'm hoping that little interlude they played with the crazy time signature was part of a new song, but probably not. And for anyone wondering, the setlist was the same as the Spokane show, except the opener was Third Eye.

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"

Yep. Here is the official statement: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-refute-false-reports-of-album-completion-exclusive-20140307

I know Tool aren't known for their timeliness in putting out new releases, but 8 years is a bit much, even for them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

cname posted:

The lyrics are about as meaningful and deep as an ICP song.

I'm not sure whether you're talking about Tool or Puscifer here...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not sure whether you're talking about Tool or Puscifer here...

Are you saying that "slide a mile six inches at a time on Maynard's dick" isn't a deep, thought provoking lyric?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So they're playing shows this year with the same tired setlists and then Adam says "hey guys we have a new album out soon, oh wait no we don't hahaha." I see. They're making it very hard for me to like them and they were my absolute favorite obsessed-with band for a while.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

i am not so sure posted:

So they're playing shows this year with the same tired setlists and then Adam says "hey guys we have a new album out soon, oh wait no we don't hahaha." I see. They're making it very hard for me to like them and they were my absolute favorite obsessed-with band for a while.

As a fan you should already know Maynard does not care about his fans or playing for Tool.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would argue it's more:

Interviewer: "So...when's the new CD coming out?"
Adam: "Oh that? Tomorrow. Definitely tomorrow. Yeah it's been finished for YEARS man *snicker*"

***BLABBERMOUTH EXCLUSIVE: TOOL ALBUM FINISHED***

Adam: "Oh what the gently caress"

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Yeah, in this case it was more music journalism's incompetence (desperation?) than the band actively loving with people.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
Anyone go to the Tool show in Reno both in 2014 and 2012? The show in 2012 was loving unreal, this one not so much. The biggest issue I had with this show was the terrible sound mix. How they could gently caress it up after having it perfect at the same drat venue as the last time I do not know. I'll still go see them again though, I am such a tool :(

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

cname posted:

It's a cool song though if you ignore the lyrics.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

tool is loving awesome you loving nerds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgfw9Ki5Wg :911: real deep meaning you dont undestand

Edit:
kill me please

Chacmool fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 12, 2014

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Two shows in SF, you'd think the set list would change between each date. Nope. As much as I love Third Eye and Opiate this setlist is an absolute joke.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

fromsinkingsands posted:

Two shows in SF, you'd think the set list would change between each date. Nope. As much as I love Third Eye and Opiate this setlist is an absolute joke.

But the second show isn't until tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/03/tool_frontman_selling_hideous_beachwood_house_for_2795mm.php

• Locked thread