Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Ghostpilot posted:

I think a large part of his game will hinge up whether or not he gets recognized, especially given his reputation.

Yeah I know poo poo about basketball, but is a club president like a household name who people will recognize or is it like a showrunner on TV which only the hardcore fans know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

HUMAN FISH posted:

Yeah I know poo poo about basketball, but is a club president like a household name who people will recognize or is it like a showrunner on TV which only the hardcore fans know?

Not really no, not unless its your team. He'd be mostly known because of how much of a poo poo organization the Miami Marlins are. Its just a giant clusterfuck. Someone can go into better detail than me.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Sports may as be another language, heck, another world. But everything I've heard about him was...ahem, less than favorable.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I would say over 50% of the sports world know who Jimmy Johnson is, 15% Jeff Kent, <5% Clifford Robinson, and <1% know what a David Samson is. Unless you get played in a Academy Award-nominated movie by Brad Pitt, club presidents/general managers/behind the scenes guys are far less visible than players and coaches.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 27, 2014

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I would say over 50% of the sports world know who Jimmy Johnson is, 15% Jeff Kent, <5% Clifford Robinson, and <1% know what a David Samson is. Unless you get played in a Academy Award-nominated movie by Brad Pitt, club presidents/general managers/behind the scenes guys are far less visible than players and coaches.

What if you're a character on Seinfeld?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Jesus Christ, I've been telling myself that I haven't seen many recent Survivor seasons... only to pull up the list and realize I've seen the last three seasons. :eek:

Missed One World though. Heard that season blew whale chunks.

I had no idea that pre-show casting interviews even existed; but then again I generally only start paying attention after the first merge.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm pretty sure the Miami Marlins are the team Big Brother Canada's Alec Beall roots for "because they have no fans and it's sad, they should have fans".

Maybe Alec could be Samson's loved one cause I'm pretty sure he's the only one that loves the Marlins.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ponies: trish primary, LJ secondary
poison: morgan primary, kassandra secondary.

my pony last season only made it to fifth place :smith:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I think that the brains team are not as brainy any of the contestants from "King of the Nerds".

If the first season of "King of the Nerds" proved anything, it's that "nerds" are not necessarily that intelligent. All the scientists and engineers left the show very early, except for one woman from NASA who still didn't make it near to the end, while the show was dominated by slightly broken man/woman-children that were able to answer detailed questions about Batman, and video games.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

HUMAN FISH posted:

The Marlins are a baseball team, so evidently you don't know much about baseball either.

And as someone who DOES follow sports, both the Marlins and David Samson are giant shitbags and gently caress them.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SweetJahasus posted:

The Marlins are a baseball team, so evidently you don't know much about baseball either.

And as someone who DOES follow sports, both the Marlins and David Samson are giant shitbags and gently caress them.

He's not american.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jimmy Johnson is a hall of fame coach so anyone with any basic football knowledge would know who he is. Jeff Kent was an All Star, MVP, and potential Hall of Famer so serious baseball fans would know him. Clifford Robinson is a journeyman NBA player so he's probably not too recognizable but would be a name some big fans would know, sort of like Culpepper. 90% of all sports execs are anonymous so someone recognizing Samson would probably require them being from the Miami area. Which the way this show works I wouldn't be surprised if they cast someone specifically because they went to college in Miami and said they were a Marlins fan or something.

Speaking of which I suspect they intentionally put the older New Jersey cop on the same tribe as Clifford Robinson, who lives in Jersey and played for the Nets. He seems like he may be the right person to recognize him. It seems like every time Survivor casts one of these secret "celebs" they always put them with someone who is a fan of their team or something that could help them recognize them.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Cliff Robinson isn't a household name, but I think people who followed basketball relatively closely in the 90s would put the pieces together if they met a 6'10" dude named Cliff in his 40s. He's not on the same level as Jeff Kent or Jimmy Johnson, but I think Brad would have been able to blend in a lot more easily than Cliff if he weren't on a season with his returnee wife who had been listed as MARRIED TO A FORMER PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYER.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Agreed, but since half of the cast is under 30 that limits the number of people who closely followed basketball in the 90s. Like I said, I expect someone to recognize him because I think that's how Survivor casting works. Cast a 90s NBA player and then cast a couple of people who specifically mention being huge NBA fans at the right time/rooted for the Blazers or whatever team he played on at the right time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

For what its worth, I'm not a basketball fan and I recognized cliff robinson right away.

I'm also in my late 20s and was raised in new jersey, however.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I know everyone hates Colton, but he had a pretty good interview over at Survivor Oz. Dropped some behind the scenes stuff about blood vs water.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Normally you wouldn't hear much about Club Presidents, but David Samson's name has been out there a lot because his stepfather owns the team he works for, which got a shitload of taxpayer money to build a new stadium, then by the end of the first year in that stadium, he'd traded away pretty much anyone who was good.

From the couple features I've read on the Marlins thing, he seems charismatic enough to make moves in the game and he's an ultramarathoner/Ironman competitor so he's going to be really underrated on the physical stuff.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

HUMAN FISH posted:

I know everyone hates Colton, but he had a pretty good interview over at Survivor Oz. Dropped some behind the scenes stuff about blood vs water.
Are there cliff notes anywhere? I just don't like listening to interviews, but I do enjoy interesting tidbits.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

HUMAN FISH posted:

Given that he told the biggest lie since Fairplay, I'd take what he says with a grain mountain of salt.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Ghostpilot posted:

Given that he told the biggest lie since Fairplay, I'd take what he says with a grain mountain of salt.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Colton seems like pretty much a completely different person outside of the island.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From the show Colton seems like a guy adept at saying the right thing and trying to blend in right up until he hits a roadblock or a hurdle and then he falls apart, lashes out, and turns into a spoiled child. If everything's going fine for him I'm sure he's able to come off fairly well, it's when he faces some kind of problem that he shows what a terrible person he is.

So its not really surprising to me that he'd come off well in interviews. He's had months to figure out what to say and the odds of things spiraling out of his control are small.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

HUMAN FISH posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Colton seems like pretty much a completely different person outside of the island.

When he faked appendicitis to get out of the game the first time around. It was part of Jeff's :rant: when Colton quit Blood vs Water.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

drat, this season may have the new top three hottest Survivor females. Woo seems awesome, too.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

GuavaMoment posted:

drat, I got behind on survivor! Haven't watched a single episode of BvW, for fear of how awful it could be. It's good to hear it's worth it. Now I just need to find like 14 straight hours to plow through it.

So I'm way behind here, but drat was Blood v. Water great! The terrible people all left immediately, the gameplay was interesting, and the person that clearly deserved to win actually won. That's happened like...twice ever in Survivor. It's weird that there was no fan favorite as I think Ciera had that on lockdown. I'm now back to being interested in a new season!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

So I'm way behind here, but drat was Blood v. Water great! The terrible people all left immediately, the gameplay was interesting, and the person that clearly deserved to win actually won. That's happened like...twice ever in Survivor.
drat right.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

:allears: Marry me. drat the law!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Richard, Tom, Yul, Earl, Parvati, and Cochran all undisputably deserved their wins too :mad:

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Yep, but it's still far more crappy endings than satisfying ones.

The jury is almost always bitter and mitigating that is the toughest obstacle of the whole thing.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I meant that having BOTH a good season and deserving winner is a rare combo.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yep, but it's still far more crappy endings than satisfying ones.

The jury is almost always bitter and mitigating that is the toughest obstacle of the whole thing.

The jury has been pretty good for the last five or six seasons or so, at least in terms of voting for the person who deserves to win. Obviously there has been a bitter person or two each time but when was the last time someone in the finals got "robbed" of the jury vote? Maybe Coach, but in all accounts I read that the jury wanted to vote for him if he would just admit that he played a strategic game instead of going in about honor and integrity, and he blew the speech by not doing so.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Sophie pretty actively claimed that she and Albert decided to bring Coach along for strategic reasons, and nothing Coach did in South Pacific led me to believe they were wrong in doing so. Sophie's an unpopular winner, but she's far from the least popular winner I'm willing to defend.

Besides, she hated Jack & Jill :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Sophie pretty actively claimed that she and Albert decided to bring Coach along for strategic reasons, and nothing Coach did in South Pacific led me to believe they were wrong in doing so. Sophie's an unpopular winner, but she's far from the least popular winner I'm willing to defend.

Besides, she hated Jack & Jill :v:

Until I read this post I was 100% unaware that there's anyone who saw Sophie as an undeserving winner. Of course she was going to win that final three, she was the only choice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The editing staff did a poor job of making the case for Sophie's win clear to most viewers. Listening to stuff on RHAP made a better case for her win than the show itself.

That was during their kick of making winners look like poo poo so there'd be a huge surprise at the end. (See also: Samoa) Part of what made the last few winners so satisfying was getting to see the evolution of their winning game. As much as I love Coach editing that season as COACH COACH COACH COACH COACH *BLAM!* Coach loses was a terrible idea.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

This man/woman knows his/her stuff.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Survivor sometimes shows gross poo poo for no reason at all. These are two of those times.

What the hell ARE those gifs? A snake and an eel throwing up?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Clamknuckle posted:

This man/woman knows his/her stuff.

Oh please, Sandra is the ultimate Mr Magoo survivor.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Shakugan posted:

shots fired, poo poo-storm imminent

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shakugan posted:

Fabio would like a word with you.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Shakugan posted:

i will kill u irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TheChad posted:

i will kill u irl

With a heart attack from Outback Steakhouse :allears:

Sandra is a loyal and loving patron. Or was it Ponderosa?

• Locked thread