Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hope Alexis, Sarah, and Trish are the first three boots because jut reading their bios in the OP they seem like terrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Propaganda Machine posted:

With a heart attack from Outback Steakhouse :allears:

Sandra is a loyal and loving patron. Or was it Ponderosa?

No I definitely remember her talking about how much she loves Outback Steakhouse.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've never been to either so I honestly don't know the difference.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Honestly, I don't consider any of the winners that took more than one game to get their win to be very good winners. This means that in my mind Sophie will always be a better winner than Cochran (sorry dude), and it also hilariously means that Boston Rob is the worst (took 4 loving times to win) and Sandra is the absolute best (100% win-rate baby!).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think "good" winners are generally overrated and "bad" winners are generally underrated. When someone "controls" the game people act like they're a genius mastermind who did everything right but there's always luck and good breaks that factor into that. Someone losing doesn't mean they sucked, it just means something went wrong. Maybe it was out of their control or maybe it was their mistake. But plenty of winners have made mistakes they survived and plenty of losers have done absolutely nothing wrong and were just victims of chance. And a lot of the winners people tend to call weak are people who managed to dodge and evade all this luck and game play to get to the end and secure the votes. And that's literally the point of the game so it seems weird to call them undeserving or bad winners.

For the most part all we're doing is taking whatever kind of player or gameplay we personally enjoy the most and elevating that to some objective scale of merit. Its silly. Parvatti played a hell of a game and entertained me. Cochran didn't entertain me at all and didn't make many big moves. But he won. He survived to the end and had the votes to win. So I'm not going to discredit the guy's win. He did what he had to do.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 13, 2014

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

STAC Goat posted:

Someone losing doesn't mean they sucked, it just means something went wrong. Maybe it was out of their control or maybe it was their mistake. But plenty of winners have made mistakes they survived and plenty of losers have done absolutely nothing wrong and were just victims of chance.

I'm still upset about Paschal in Marquesas :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

And a lot of the winners people tend to call weak are people who managed to dodge and evade all this luck and game play to get to the end and secure the votes. And that's literally the point of the game so it seems weird to call them undeserving or bad winners.

This is why Fabio is one of my favorite winners. He was such a complete non-factor and then suddenly at like final six or so the remaining players were like "oh poo poo we forgot about Fabio and everyone likes him more than us" and he ran the table from there.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"

Bjay9 posted:

I'm still upset about Paschal in Marquesas :(

Paschal and Fiji Michelle are the two most undeserved boots. I can't believe Probst guided Alex(?) through that awful Tribal Council to basically choose who he wanted to vote off. Probably the worst Probst has ever been at his job, and that's saying a lot (especially his :words: during challenges). Wasn't there one challenge in BvW where the editors purposefully inserted in every line they could find of Jeff going "CIERA IN LAST PLACE!! SHE IS OUT OF THE CHALLENGE!" only to have Ciera win it? That was some great editing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Michelle is still my favorite Survivor of all time. I actually still have her on Facebook, and she's a total sweetheart.

I also think Parvati's win was incredible, especially since she was so underrated going into Micronesia.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Fabio is a great winner if only because he kept those other idiots from winning. As much as people make fun of Fabio for being dumb, Chase may have been one of the dumbest Survivor players I've ever seen.

dimejubes
Dec 2, 2006
did I just do that?

STAC Goat posted:

When someone "controls" the game people act like they're a genius mastermind who did everything right but there's always luck and good breaks that factor into that [...] And a lot of the winners people tend to call weak are people who managed to dodge and evade all this luck and game play to get to the end and secure the votes. And that's literally the point of the game so it seems weird to call them undeserving or bad winners.

I think people perceive the luck and good breaks to be more integral to the latter strategy. The "mastermind" strategy requires luck but to a lesser degree, because it's active rather than passive. Also, arguing about this stuff is what people do with all games - people wish they could pit whoever they wanted against each other and have some sort of omniscient device to peek into all the mechanics. Saying there's ultimately no way to measure merit perfectly is true but beside the point.

dimejubes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 14, 2014

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Adus posted:

Fabio is a great winner if only because he kept those other idiots from winning. As much as people make fun of Fabio for being dumb, Chase may have been one of the dumbest Survivor players I've ever seen.

Agreed.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Fabio did a great FTC too. He brought on the tears and sealed things up.

Also one that I've always remembered as a great job of swaying votes/feelings during FTC was when JT acted so hurt that Stephen would have not taken him to the end (which was so obvious).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Rob Cesternino has his cast analysis and prediction podcast up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKXuQfJfm4

Looks like an unusually promising cast, full of people who are actual fans of the show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Rob Cesternino has his cast analysis and prediction podcast up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKXuQfJfm4

Looks like an unusually promising cast, full of people who are actual fans of the show.

Man that guy can talk and talk and talk. :words: And Nicole seems somewhat fixated on Morgan's...assets. I didn't know the first ep would be 2 hours, looking forward to that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Man that guy can talk and talk and talk. :words: And Nicole seems somewhat fixated on Morgan's...assets. I didn't know the first ep would be 2 hours, looking forward to that.

Strictly speaking it isn't a proper extended premiere, they just decided to air the first two episodes back to back because of the olympics.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Strictly speaking it isn't a proper extended premiere, they just decided to air the first two episodes back to back because of the olympics.

God forbid they just push the show back a week and not do a recap episode late in the season

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mercaptopropyl posted:

God forbid they just push the show back a week and not do a recap episode late in the season

We don't know that there will be one. I don't recall seeing one since South Pacific.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Lord Bude posted:

We don't know that there will be one. I don't recall seeing one since South Pacific.

I don't think they've done a recap episode in a while. I don't remember one, at least.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They used to recap on Thanksgiving in the fall season I think. Might have stopped after the switch to Wednesdays.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Has there been any word on if there's Redemption Island this season?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

No Redemption.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

No Redemption.

This season keeps sounding better and better

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So, the CBS website has a show-length preview special up. It's mostly your blech survivor introductions with Jeff injecting pointless commentary, but there happened to be something interesting!!

What the spoiler is related to: HII

There are HIIs spread out as usual pre-merge, but post-merge they throw out a brand new HII with rules similar to Yul's in Cook Islands. That is, the HII can be whipped out after the votes are read.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Welp...congrats on the million whoever finds that.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

There are HIIs spread out as usual pre-merge, but post-merge they throw out a brand new HII with rules similar to Yul's in Cook Islands. That is, the HII can be whipped out after the votes are read.

I... I just... oh god why...

:negative:

Samarium
Dec 15, 2005

The beauty of quitting is, now that I've quit, I can have one, 'cause I've quit.

You left out the best/worst part: The idea came from Tyler Perry, and Jeff wants to call it the Tyler Perry idol.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Ugh. That's disappointing.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Joose Caboose posted:

This season keeps sounding better and better

Guess I spoke too soon

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Samarium posted:

You left out the best/worst part: The idea came from Tyler Perry, and Jeff wants to call it the Tyler Perry idol.

Maw, git mah gun, Ol' Survivor's gotta be put down for his own good. :cry:

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Samarium posted:

If this happens I may have to track down Probst and backhand him myself. Holy poo poo.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
It's time to turn in your producer badge Jeff. You can still host if you promise not to stupid poo poo like this ever again.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Samarium posted:

This is a joke, right? It has to be.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samarium posted:

That's because he has to put his name on everything. It's like some sort of sickness.

Samarium
Dec 15, 2005

The beauty of quitting is, now that I've quit, I can have one, 'cause I've quit.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

This is a joke, right? It has to be.

Fast forward to 3:55.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Man, what little hope I had for Jeff is gone. :smith:

He's probably doing what has to be done to make sure the show stays on the air though.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Juanito posted:

Man, what little hope I had for Jeff is gone. :smith:

He wasn't even Danger Jeff last season. The Jeff I know is dead. :colbert:

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Why don't they just call the show easter egg hunter.

I mean there's so many other ways they could do things. I have to believe that there's no real thought towards "the game" and about 95% of what they come up with is just how they want to film stuff.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

So, the CBS website has a show-length preview special up. It's mostly your blech survivor introductions with Jeff injecting pointless commentary, but there happened to be something interesting!!

What the spoiler is related to: HII

Haha, why would they think that is a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

They used to recap on Thanksgiving in the fall season I think. Might have stopped after the switch to Wednesdays.

They also used to the the recap episode during the first day of March Madness, they also stopped that with the move to Wednesdays.

• Locked thread