Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

On paper I wonder if Brawn might not have the best chance of working together just because so many of them are team athletes or members of fraternities like the police. To some extent or another they theoretically are all "team players" already. Stereotypically brainiacs just don't tend to play well with others. Of course even if there's any truth to this the nutty cop threatens Brawn's functionality.

I think Brawn is going to be the strongest (no pun intended) team going forward. I though Brains was going to have trouble from the beginning, because Survivor isn't about "intelligence" as much is as it is about social intelligence, which stereotypically nerds are bad at. Beauty has been doing better than I thought it would, but I am betting on a breakdown of at least one or two players as time keeps going on. Brawn is pre-set-up to have an advantage in physical challenges, and aside from the guy cop everyone seems to be looking to work together.

I'm pretty sure this is the most insane episode of Survivor history. Between the guy cop's denial of being a cop and #spyshack, J'Tia throwing the rice in the fire and then staying, and Garret apparently not knowing how Survivor works at all and blurting out literally everything at tribal, it's just great.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Metropolis posted:

I was kinda glad to see Garrett go though J'tia's not great either. Seems like this brains tribe is the kind of brains where they're good at something 'smart' unrelated to survivor, but on the show, everything they do is dumb. Garret tried to pull a Boston Rob control everyone strategy. If he was gonna do that, he should have used his idol more effectively. I think the rest of the brains tribe was smart to get rid of them even if he is probably their best challenge guy because after losing two challenges in a row they are pretty much going to lose the rest until some shakeup happens. Now the other tribes can sit out their two weakest players for any given challenge, a rather enormous advantage.

Also that puzzle Sarah nailed and J'tia bombed looked hard as hell. Jagged spinny things and you put other jagged spinny things in? I'd hate to be stuck doing that.

Yeah but J'tia was doing the puzzle in the worst possible way. She didn't start on an end, and her "strategy" consisted of dropping a piece onto a spot, and if it didn't immediately swap to another piece without even trying to turn the puzzle.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Fast Luck posted:

I disagree. Yeah J'Tia was bad at the challenge I guess, but most of the time there was no water by the time it got to her. I actually thought Tasha was struggling a lot, dropping buckets and making some bad throws.

Yeah, watching the challenge it was definitely Tasha and Spencer who were losing most of the water.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
If you check the video of the challenge, it seems pretty clear that Spencer and Tasha were losing most of the water.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

TheChad posted:

Why do both the white dudes on Beauty tribe have to look EXACTLY the same? How the gently caress am I supposed to tell them apart?

Also, someone please please gif the scene where Morgan throws a bitchy smile at Alexis and the camera pans to Brice throwing the exact same same bitchy smile at her too. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

LJ looks like twenty years older than Jeremiah, despite being the same age. If you told me that LJ was 44 and Jeremiah was 24, I'd believe it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I just want them to cast a black person who can swim, who gets really mad when the other players try to make them sit out at the first swimming challenge.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J'Tia was obviously terrible, but I really think Tasha is almost as bad in terms of making terrible decisions. The flag didn't need to be placed perfectly, it just needed to be on the mat and for everyone to pull at the same time. The other teams had the callers call when to pull, Brains didn't. And the waffling between who to kick out, when J'tia should have been gone two episodes ago (not only is she the anchor in challenges, she dumped out the rice for gently caress's sake!), it's clear she is not a good player.

That said, the INSTANT Spencer gets to the merge/tribe swap (if he does, since he's almost certainly going out if Brains goes to Tribal again), he's going to flip to another alliance.

Edit: I don't understand why people go on Survivor without knowing how to swim, there's always a bunch of challenges that involve swimming.

Piell fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 13, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Well, technically it was Spencer by himself who couldn't beat the entire Brawn team, some of who were trying to lose.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

mancalamania posted:

All that said, I think Tasha and Kass are both very bright and I think they are much better players than Spencer. Spencer does have his head in the game and his snarky confessionals are amusing, but he's also pretty bad at the social game and also a bit delusional. "These women have driven the tribe into the ground by voting out two men" is pretty boneheaded and misogynistic, given that he voted one of those men out and they also had their two best challenge performances right after voting out their buffest guy.

But they did do that! David didn't seem in too great of shape so that wasn't a huge loss but Garret was by far the most athletic person on the team, and that lack of athleticism really hurt them in the latest immunity challenged - Spencer had to get four of the five balls personally and throw them as well.

As far as keeping J'tia vs Spencer, here's the thing - no way J'tia is gonna stick around long after a tribe remix tribe goes together, she is incredibly vindictive and really bad at challenges, so she's an obvious target for an elimination in a pre-merge tribe swap. Spencer seems a lot more likely to make it to a merge.

As far as loyalty goes, J'tia ISN'T loyal. Loyal people don't destroy the tribe's rice in a huff. If J'tia feels she has been wronged in the tiniest way, she will turn on them in an instant, unpredictably. Spencer is safer precisely because he's looking out for his own interests - if you can get into the stronger alliance, Spencer will come along.

STAC Goat posted:

I actually really have nothing against Spencer and I actually don't totally mind a smug/sarcastic player if he's entertaining to me (Rob C would be a good example of that). I may not want to see them win but I can enjoy the ride. To be honest I'm probably over compensating a bit for what I perceive to be a bit of a Cochran/goon thing around Spencer. That's not totally fair and I'll try and turn it down. Mostly I just haven't seen anything impressive or special about Spencer. On the other hand I haven't seen anything especially objectionable or stupid about him either. He's just kind of there for me. I'd be happy to see him make it to the merge and get a new hand in the game to see what he does with it, because he at least seems slightly more deserving than Tash or Kass for that. I guess I just don't see anything that really overly separates him from the rest of the Brain dead pack and think he's probably had a pretty solid hand in the tribe's failures as most of them have (but J'tia has had the largest) instead of the "unlucky victim who got stuck with these idiots" thing that seems to be developing online for him. But then there's probably that bias/over compensation thing, I admit.

But I also think that some of it is that I think Tash and Kass are being cast a little overly "idiotic" for trying to navigate between J'tia and Spencer who they don't trust and don't have much reason to. And as much as J'tia has truly sucked she has become a bit of a scapegoat for every Brains failure. So again, I'm probably just over compensating a bit to try and see Spencer put where I think he belongs with Tash and Kass.

Spencer literally did 90% of the latest immunity challenge by himself. Also he did the smart thing and voted for the person who dumped out the rice rather than the tribe's physically strongest player.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Poque posted:

The first thing he should've done is go straight back to camp without unwrapping the clue, saying "I haven't looked at it, I'm burning it."

Alternately, if he opened it, come back and show them that it talks about a rock wall they don't have and tell them that they're being played, build up tribal unity by amping everybody up against people playing a shifty game.

He brought up that he thought it was fake under duress and now nobody trusts him.

Yeah, the ideal thing for him would have been for him to read it and then show it to the others right away, or refuse to give it back to Tony. On the other hand, I don't think he figured it out completely right away, so by the time he realized what Tony had done the clue was already gone. From there he should have got his story out there ASAP, but by then most of the damage is already done. I mean, we all know Tony as a trickster, but Sarah thinks he's perfect and none of the other tribe members knows him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
So when the new super powered idol comes in, are the old idols taken away or do they stay in?

Also I kind of want Tony to find the new idol just to here what he'll say.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I can't believe how dumb Kass is. Not only did she switch out of her top spot on the tribe with the most votes, thus guaranteeing that she won't win if she somehow gets to the finals, not only is she now the bottom of her new alliance, but now she is the obvious target to get rid of at next tribal council. The "top 5" alliance get to stick together and still have their numbers advantage, meaning they can vote for her freely. She is the most dangerous threat to switch tribes and cause a tie. The alliance she betrayed needs to get rid of one of the top alliance and it might as well be the person who they were betrayed, meaning they can also vote for her freely. I can totally see a situation in which Kass receives 9 votes.

Piell fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 3, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
But you don't need to get rid of challenge threats at this point, unless you think they are gonna win literally every challenge in the future (they won't) there will be plenty of time to take out Tony or LJ in the future. And since they were worried that LJ or Tony might have an idol, going with Jefra who they are sure doesn't have an idol and that nobody is going to use an idol on her is exactly the right move.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I don't think anyone is saying that Jefra is an idiot, so much as Jefra barely exists. She truly has the perfect last name.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Kass's goal doesn't seem to be winning so much as making other people lose.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure Tony has pissed off enough people to lose the end vote yet. He's going to get Sarah's vote and Morgan didn't exactly go out with a grudge against Tony.

He's playing a solid game that will probably get recognized in the end by the number of Survivor fans that will be on the jury!

No loving way Tony would get Sarah's vote. He's a lying cop, while Sarah takes being a cop incredibly seriously.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
It's really loving weird that it hasn't shown up yet, I would have thought it would shown up as Spencer's idol. Next week's preview didn't have anything about it, so it's starting to get to the point where there's not really any time to use it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Teckiwi posted:

Forgive my ignorance but what's different with the special "tyler perry" idol? I assume it's not the old style from the first seasons where it could be played after votes were read but you never know with survivor producers..

That's exactly what it is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
My vision for the rest of this season:

Next episode, the alliance of Tasha and Spencer (with Jeremiah) approaches Kass and Jefra about getting Tony out, saying he's unreliable, unpredictable, and dangerous. Kass and Jefra bite and Tony goes after. After that, Tasha and Spencer meet up with Kass again and convince her that they want to do an all-Brains final three, and that they'll keep Jeremiah around until the final four where they will supposedly drop him, while telling Jeremiah the same thing about Kass. This alliance of four holds until the final four, at which point either Spencer convinces the other two members of the alliance to vote out Tasha or vice versa, leaving Tasha or Spencer left with Kass and Jeremiah as the final three. Nobody likes Kass so she gets no votes, Jeremiah hasn't done a thing the whole game so he gets no votes, Tasha or Spencer win. Spencer is my pick for the winner, he seems to be getting a bit better edit compared to Tasha.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Met posted:

This week has been busy and I haven't been able to watch the "Sophie Clarke on the Wisdom of Big Moves" on RHAP? Not sure if I want to sink 3 hours into it, either before tonight's episode or at all. Anyone who see it think it's worth listening to?

Only the first half of the podcast is with her, the second half is the Survivor historian bit. It's pretty good though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Tony is a loving wizard, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, the only way I can see Woo winning is a super bitty jury and Tony/Kass/Woo as the final three. Trish at least has some gameplay going, and Spencer and Tasha both have really good stories/moves.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Tasha would be a great returnee (and Kass as well for her penchant for dumb big moves), but really I can't see Tony being nearly as good in a second season. His entire strategy relies on massive lies backed up by a group of people going back to him over and over after being tricked, and I can't see that working a second time when everyone already knows what he does.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
This is how the winning chances go: If Spencer gets to the finals, he wins. If Spencer doesn't get to the final but Tony does, Tony wins. If neither of them are in it, Trish wins. If it's a final two and it's down to Kass and Woo it's a coin flip because everyone hates Kass but Woo has literally done nothing. That said, it's about a 90% chance to be either Spencer or Tony, they've both gotten great edits. Trish has fallen into the background too much, Kass is getting edited as an idiot, and Woo is getting an edit as someone who blows with the wind

Piell fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 9, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
That's really the reason I hope Kass sticks around until the end, because Kass believes her own bullshit and her response to the jury questions will be awesome.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Murmur Twin posted:

They need to do Survivor: Redemption Island II and make Philip and Francesqua the leaders of their tribes.

No they don't.

They need to do a Survivor season of everyone who got voted out first. Francesca gets to be on both tribes.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Survivor is not a game about making friends (though being friendly can often be a good strategy). Survivor is a game about winning a million dollars. If you aren't willing to play the game, then you shouldn't go on Survivor and take a spot that could go to someone who actually wants to try to win.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Congratulations Spencer on winning Survivor Cagayan!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I've pondered before how well a strategy of telling everyone "I'm going for second place or third place, if I get to Final Tribal don't vote for me" would work out. Would people take a premade goat?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Aerox posted:

I haven't been watching Ponderosa, so maybe someone can answer this for me: Have they shown any of the jurors talking about Kass or Tony? I'm curious to see how the people Kass "saved" with her flip, minus Trish, see her, and also how Tony's old alliancemates see him, given that he has stabbed every single person in his original alliance in the face.

Sarah and Morgan just loathe Kass, and I don't think anyone likes her. My impression of their feelings towards Tony is that he is the one controlling the game and that while he's playing against them, he's not the terrible human being that Kass is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Woo is 100% a floater who bends with whoever he talked to last, he has no ideas of his own and exists only to be filled by other people's ideas. He's a chill guy but if nothing beyond that. That said, I'd rather him win than Kass, because at least he knows what he is, Kass is completely delusional.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, I think Parvati was totally right in what she said during the episode. If Tony had been willing to own up and admit to his moves I feel like it wouldn't have felt nearly so hostile.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Woo came off a lot better in his actions in a real life contest but Survivor is not real life. Tony played a far better game than Woo in that he actually played a game rather than just going along with whatever he was told.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Met posted:

What water challenge problem?

There was a lack of them because they didn't have any good places for them

Lone Goat posted:

Has Spencer posted the contents of that letter Probst gave him? Didn't see it on his twitter.

He hasn't opened it yet, he wants to save it for when he's feeling down.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Juanito posted:

I was expecting Holding Hantz to be something more like Buckwild (Appalachian Jersey Shore), but it really looks like they're going for the redneck Duck Dynasty demographic.

Russel specifically referred to it as being like Duck Dynasty in the RHAP podcast.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Tyree posted:

The Heroes vs. Villains reunion show was pretty funny. It had Jeff, dead serious, asking if Russell understood the rules of Survivor.

And with Russell proudly and furiously insisting he did not, and that therefore the game is flawed.

Piell fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 21, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Kid Nation was the best show ever made and I still cannot believe they were allowed to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

quote:

Making Exile Island even more brutal this time around is that your loved one will be sending you there after a one-on-one duel. “You’ve got to go up against your loved one and here are the stakes,” explains Probst. “Winner gets reward. Loser goes to Exile Island. Where it’s going to really suck. And it’s going to suck because you put ‘em there!”

That could be pretty interesting.

• Locked thread