Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dimejubes
Dec 2, 2006
did I just do that?

STAC Goat posted:

When someone "controls" the game people act like they're a genius mastermind who did everything right but there's always luck and good breaks that factor into that [...] And a lot of the winners people tend to call weak are people who managed to dodge and evade all this luck and game play to get to the end and secure the votes. And that's literally the point of the game so it seems weird to call them undeserving or bad winners.

I think people perceive the luck and good breaks to be more integral to the latter strategy. The "mastermind" strategy requires luck but to a lesser degree, because it's active rather than passive. Also, arguing about this stuff is what people do with all games - people wish they could pit whoever they wanted against each other and have some sort of omniscient device to peek into all the mechanics. Saying there's ultimately no way to measure merit perfectly is true but beside the point.

dimejubes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dimejubes
Dec 2, 2006
did I just do that?
I don't think they necessarily talked to Kass, because Kass would've then had to consider the merits. She more likely just snapped and decided she hated Garrett more.

dimejubes
Dec 2, 2006
did I just do that?
I don't get why they let go of Jefra so easily. She said that the letter from her Mom was a sign from god or something. If Spencer had revealed the idol earlier they could've had her play double agent and let them know who to play the idol for, which is risky, but I don't see how drawing rocks was ever going to convince Jefra. And why did Woo look so freaked when he saw his name if he knew Spencer had misplayed the idol... unless it was edited misleadingly.

dimejubes
Dec 2, 2006
did I just do that?

Metropolis posted:

Jefra seems basically incapable of playing double agent against her alliance [...]

Very true, but plan B was apparently to accept she was voting against them and to guess which way the votes were going. However unlikely it was for Jefra to pull it off, there wasn't much reason not to try it, unless Spencer thought it would be terrible for Tony alliance to know he had the idol. If anything Jefra would've crumbled in front of Trish but still been caught in the middle because she was scared of Spencer's idol ruining all their plans, and may still have rejected the Tony alliance at the last minute. Jefra & co talked about who might have the idol, but it's different when you absolutely know an idol is going to be played and you're just hoping the dice rolls your way.

Also, echoing the super idol sadness. The edit had me resigned to thinking he'd find it several minutes before he actually did. I don't really think people will vote for Tony at the end though.

• Locked thread