Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I haven't watched any Survivor since season 2, but I decided to watch this season on my cable's on demand yesterday. So glad I did, because J'tia. :allears:

I want to go back and watch the goon recommended seasons. I signed up for Hulu for it, but it only has season 1 and then 12+. What's that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Yeah Rob Cesternino was plugging Hulu+ as a new sponsor and mentioned they only had season one then 12+. A little weird but you've still got a ton of great ones to choose from.

China (season 15) and Tocantins (season 17) are fan favourites and either would be a great place to start. Micronesia (season 16) and Heroes vs Villains (season 20) are two of the best seasons ever but they're both all-stars seasons and benefit a lot from knowing the players first. If you wanted to jump ahead to the more modern seasons watching 25-27 wouldn't be a bad idea as the last several seasons have all been excellent. The big thing you want to avoid is the gap of seasons 21-24 as those are many of the worst seasons the show has ever had.

If I were cobbling together a list for a friend I'd probably suggest something like China (15), Tocantins (17), Cook Islands (13), Micronesia (16), Samoa (19), Heroes vs Villains (20), 25-27 in order then go back and pick off the remaining pre-season 21 stuff in whatever order you like.

Awesome, thank you! I started rewatching season 1 last night, so I'll probably finish that one, then go from there. I'd really like to watch the ones between 2-11 at some point, so it just sucks that it's not available on Amazon/Netflix/Hulu. I will definitely be checking out the ones your list though!

Juanito posted:

Also you'll probably want to skip this thread mostly (after you get some recommendations), just because about once a week there is a slapfight over the most/least deserving winners.

Haha, yeah I kind of noticed this already as I was skimming through the thread. Fortunately, I had to good sense to skip past posts once I saw a name I knew wasn't from this season.

On another note, could anyone tell me what season spawned that gif of the two horrified-looking girls while a guy behind them suddenly gets a poo poo-eating grin? I would like to watch that season at some point just because that gif is so hilarious to me.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Could you post the gif? I can see it in my head, but can't place it right now.

I was able to find it once GuavaMoment posted what season it's from. Thanks guys!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I posted in this thread back in late March that I was going to go watch all the old seasons as I'd never seen them before, aside from 1 and 2. I have now watched from Borneo to Tocantins (that's not phonetic?!) which is where I am now. I can safely say the only season that was 100% garbage so far was Thailand. Fiji is a runner-up, but it can't even touch how bad Thailand was. I can't say I'm looking forward to seasons 21-24, which you guys said were awful, but the completionist in me can't skip them.

Hulu used to show screenshots of contestants in the episode selection area, but they wised up during one of the later seasons and started showing only pictures of Jeff wearing his baseball hat and blue button-up shirt.

Since you guys advised me to avoid this thread until I finished, I have until now and will probably avoid the thread again after I post this. I just wanted to pop in and complain about Thailand, really. v:shobon:v

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Token-cheese!

This is exactly what my fiance calls it now! I had told him "Oh, goons have said Tocantins (phonetic, of course) is a great season!" and then Jeff says token-cheese and I just feel shame. I also feel shame for talking about goons outside of the internet, but eh, what can you do? I think Coach is from my neck of the woods, but I don't want to google to find out. As an aside, he is loving crazy.

The Lord Bude posted:

You should pop in, without reading anything, to give us your opinions after watching the premiere of each season, after major events, and after the finale of each season. I'm sure we can behave ourselves spoiler wise for a few pages after each of your posts.

I've thought about keeping a file on my computer full of my thoughts as I've watched just so I could post it here when I was finally all caught up. I think I'll wait until I'm done to post all of my thoughts just because I don't want to check this thread until I'm done.

One thing that I have definitely wanted to post was that I think Kathy got robbed on Marquesas and Vecepia has been the least-worthy winner in the first 18 seasons. And while on the topic of Marquesas, I think the relationship between Rodger and Elisabeth wasn't weird, but I was definitely grossed out by Pascal and Neleh. Also, in what goddamn language is Neleh pronounced that way?

Also, I really thought Ozzy was cool and should've won Cook Islands, but I was so loving happy when he got voted off FvF. I wonder if he was that arrogant during CI or if his ego got massively inflated between the two.

I am also horrible at picking pony/poison and I don't think I've ever correctly predicted the winner unless I already knew who won.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Especially since Occupation is busy with his Toxx thread, we should be spoiler-free for just a little bit.

That said, I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but I think that newbie guide is terrible and needs some heavy editing before it gets posted in an OP again. You're a Survivor newbie? lol here have all the spoilers.

I definitely agree with this. I used to read the OP to see why goons liked certain seasons after I finished them, but then there were spoilers about stuff like people coming back for later seasons, so I stopped doing that. I understand that this show has been on since I was in high school, but for a newbie guide, it's not very good because it's absolutely full of spoilers. I did spoil a lot for myself just from googling what I thought was fairly innocuous. For example, I checked out Ethan's wikipedia because I remembered he had cancer and wanted to see how he was doing, but I not only learned that Jenna won her season, but I learned where Ethan, Lex, and Tom finished in season 8. I've since stopped googling anything about Survivor.

Even on the season that is currently airing (which is a great season, in my opinion, and I'm rooting for Woo or maybe Spencer) I got to hear spoilers about Russell. It's kind of funny because just before this week's episode, I'd been thinking that in the past 18 seasons that I've seen, no one has ever referred back to a previous season, aside from the all-star style seasons.

Edit to add: If I found out I was going to be on Survivor, the absolute first thing I would do is to learn how to build a fire. I would go into my back yard and sit there until I could build a fire.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I, for one, am voting J'Tia.

I'm a few episodes into HvV and it is already very entertaining. I have to admit, I think some of the people (mostly a few villains) were placed on the wrong tribes. I never considered Coach a villain, just a weirdo. I don't really think Sandra and Danielle (I actually forgot what season she was on and kind of shocked when I realized she came in second on her season) were villains either. Shane and Rocky would've been better than those two, but in a way, I'm not sure I could handle Shane or Rocky all over again.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Really, Naonka and Purple Kelly? REALLY?!

700 new posts that I want to read because Cagayan was great, but I'm still complaining about Nicaragua. I had hoped to be all caught up by Cagayan's end. :(

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 24, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I'm about halfway through Redemption Island and I'm not a fan of returning survivors. I loved Russell's first two seasons, but was ready to see him go and I've never liked Boston Rob. :colbert: It seems like bringing back people from older seasons just leads to people behaving like starstruck fools.

Phillip is great for TV though!

Edit: ok I liked Rob in Marquesas but that's it.

Edit 2: I'm totally fine with the all-star style seasons, just not the ones with 2 returning people.

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 26, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Can't wait for your post-season thoughts!

Haha. I think I read a spoiler, something about Rob being in the Survivor hall of fame despite not winning yet, emphasis on yet. Once I read that, I was half tempted to skip this season entirely. I'm sticking with it to see how it plays out.

I think Russell and Rob are both devious as hell, but the difference is that Russell was the underdog in all his seasons and and still got to FTC twice. When Rob is the underdog, he flounders. His only success (so far) came from being ahead the entire time. Maybe that's not how this season will play out, but it's not very fun to watch people win when they were never at risk.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I think it's a skill if you don't have a reputation before the game begins. Going all the way back to Borneo and Richard, that was more impressive that what's currently going on during Redemption Island. Julie said it best that Rob's group isn't an alliance, but a cult. That's just what happens when old players mix with new, kind of like how people reacted and clung to Stephenie in Guatemala. I can't really fault the old players for taking advantage of it, I guess. I just wish the new players wouldn't stand for that poo poo, like how Russell got booted as soon as his tribe had the chance.

Edit: I'm not going to read the post above mine even though I think it's regarding this discussion because I haven't seen that season yet. :(

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

That article about Shane :stare:

I just finished Redemption Island and almost hate it more than Thailand. The only good thing it had was Phil and his horrible lovely underwear. I went to see if he really is a former federal agent but apparently he comes back in a few seasons, so I will wait until after that. :allears:

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I'm looking forward to hating the next few seasons in that case! Rob's plan only worked because everyone on his tribe was loving clueless about strategy and Matt was stupid enough to not side with Zapatera when he got back. Putting the HII back into the game after Ralph played it could've changed how everything went, too. It's like everyone laid down and died so Rob could win the game after three failed attempts. I don't think anyone from Ometepe had watched a single episode of Survivor before coming onto the show. It's definitely worse than Thailand now that I've had some time to think about it.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

People appreciate Rob's game but you have to remember it was his FOURTH try and they cast a bunch of people who knew nothing about the show and showed them Rob highlights and Russell lowlights to give them some background, so anything less than a win would have been stunning.

I had a sneaking suspicion that something like this was the case. So producers basically set up a barrel full of fish and told Rob to go nuts? Are there any cast interviews or anything that talk about this? I'd be really interested to see them.

blue squares posted:

No way. People bitch and moan about how weak his competition was, but he didn't make a single misstep the entire game. And he threw a clue into a volcano.

I don't think he was ever given a chance to make a misstep. I doubt he even worried past the first week that he would be voted out. He was playing with people who genuinely felt like their loyalty to him was reason enough for them to win. :psyduck:

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I get why some people like him and think that he played the perfect game in RI and that's fine. My other major complaints about RI are that the only people who got any camera time were Rob and Phil and by the end of the season, I didn't even want to root for anyone to win. I don't think that's been the case for me since Thailand. Regardless of who won, it was a boring cast with only two stand-out personalities.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Oh god, Ozzy is back :negative:

Here's to hoping his ego deflated a bit since he got his rear end beat last time he was on! I am so, so doubtful though.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

I fully expect his ego to be turned to 11 since he'll have company with him. Wonder if he'll employ his RI abuse strategy again.

Oh I'm not all caught up, I'm talking about season 23. Sorry!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry! I apologize a million times! I've been posting about old seasons, but I should know better. I will be sure to refer to seasons I'm talking about if I say things like that in the future.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

I think you should go to the corner and think about what you've done young man/woman! You made us worry!

Off to Redemption Island for me. :sigh:

Edit: Just noticed Brandon's job next to his name: "Russell Hantz' Nephew" What a job!

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 30, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I'm still on SP and they get to watch Jack and Jill as a reward? What a treat!!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Jeff: Worth playing for?

Nope, no it's not. Can I just sit outside and eat the hot dogs and candy?

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

South Pacific is so lame. :laffo:

Hey Jesus, it's Brandon and/or Coach. Could you please take a moment to tell me who to vote for tonight? Oh and thank you for willing me to win this silly challenge on a reality tv show.

That's what this whole season feels like, goddamn.

Edit: And then Jesus wanted Brandon to give Albert the necklace and simultaneously wanted Coach to vote him out. This is amazing.

These idiots are actually making me root for Ozzy.

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 5, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I have been skipping posts about BvW? because I haven't seen it yet, but I am ready for it now.

I started One World last night and watched the first ep before bed. Interesting concept, I guess. This feels like the first challenge where Jeff had to yell out instructions repeatedly so people wouldn't break their wrists and yet someone still did. I'm terrible at pony/poison, so I can't even make a guess. The women trying to steal fire from the men was pretty amusing, at least!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

That picture is from Caramoan, not blood vs water. Once you get past one world there's a great run of seasons so you have that to look forward to.

Phew.

Does anyone know when seasons are usually added to Hulu? I don't think BvW is up yet.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

You know, there's been a lot of people on this show who just aren't my cup of tea. I've never had such an intense, visceral hatred of any contestant until Colton. loving Colton. What a deplorable sack of poo poo. I seem to recall skimming over a post that mentioned he quit/got medically removed, so I can only hope to see his stupid pudgy face covered in tears at one point or another before this season is over.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

And there he goes. The only thing that would've made it any sweeter is if Alicia went out with him, too.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

My favorite "what the gently caress?" jury moment, Natalie on Micronesia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkJhmZNkqdU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Just finished up Caramoan. The outcome made me pretty happy and I have to agree that Brenda is an absolute turd.

Are the reunions generally worth watching? I've skipped every single one of them since I'd prefer to start a new season, but now that I've only got one left, I'm considering going back and watching the old reunions.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Ok, thanks. I'll probably skip them for now.

First episode of BvW and one of my big concerns is that a couple like husband/wife might be more willing to backstab their blood (except Rupert the Noble) because who cares who wins between the two as long as you get the million in the end? And 12 years later and Gervase still looks exactly the same. Dude aged really well.

Edit: Oh my god I couldn't have asked for a better response from Jeff when Colton quit. :allears:

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 19, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I did it! I made it to day 39! Really, I calculated it all and it's somewhere around 17 days worth of Survivor that I've watched now that I'm all caught up. :sweatdrop:

BvW was way better than I anticipated and I'm glad it's the season to send me off. I was worried about a bitter jury because they're the worst, but fortunately it paid off just as it should've. I'm off to start The Amazing Race now, but I'm bummed that I will have to look at Boston Rob again at some point.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

That really sucks. Not only did he seem like a good dude, he's a saint for putting up with Colton.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah. In a TV show where we all (well, most of us) enjoy watching the guys who lie about a dead grandma and losing their dog in Hurricane Katrina, Colton crosses the line from entertaining to reprehensible. It says a lot about him that his fiancé dies and yet the conversation goes to how lovely Colton is.

I know editing could have a lot to do with it but I'm not sure how much context could help "gently caress poor people" and "my only black friend is my family's maid."

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

They were horrible to Christina in particular, for sure. I think they were calling her stupid to her face or something to that effect. I was elated when Alicia got the boot first because her and Colton had sat around telling Christina that she was a goner.

I think the reason that villains like Russell and Jonny Fairplay are still enjoyable to watch is because their shady moves were actually strategic. Colton's nastiness had zero strategy behind it. The only other person who comes close to him is probably Brandon, but he's still miles away from being that bad.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I loved Kid Nation so much, thank you for that link!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Rarity posted:

Oh hey you guys there's a new season of Awful Survivor currently in signups. If you want to find out whether you're a Cochran or a Franesqua then this is the place to go. Seriously, do it. It's super fun.

I can't participate during those hours, but I'll definitely keep an eye on that thread. Looks amusing!

I was going to comment about the whole thing with Natalie/Ashley from RI, but I honestly have tried to purge that whole season from my memory. I know there were times when the girls could've voted Rob off if they had blindsided him, which I think would've been very easy to do because his head was so far up his rear end and inflated beyond the point that it could be removed. All I know is I sat there rolling my eyes into the back of my skull every time he got past the perfect time for a blindside. They really had a bunch of clueless players with him that season and whether or not that was intentional, who knows. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sean voting in ABC order. :allears:

• Locked thread