Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Fabio is a great winner if only because he kept those other idiots from winning. As much as people make fun of Fabio for being dumb, Chase may have been one of the dumbest Survivor players I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Erik was a really good physical player and was very likable. He never really struck me as stupid, even with the immunity necklace incident. To me that was just him being worn down by the constant pressure. He just didn't care to talk strategy ever so it made him really boring to the editors. I imagine being screwed over the first time by strategic schemers didn't make him any more interested for the second time. Also the whole deal where he apparently starved easily. Probably thanks to having no body fat. Kind of amazed he made it as far as he did both times.

I don't think he was surprised he didn't get a lot of screentime. I think he was surprised they never showed any footage of camp downtime where they played games or had fun. It's pretty clear the biggest draw these days are the backstabs and blindsides, etc.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think she's particularly savvy but I don't think she's particularly dumb either. She just has absolutely no power or ability to influence votes so she's swaying in the wind towards whatever direction seems to best get her one step farther. She got left on a limb when David got voted out so when the guys said "J'tia" she went with it. Then Garrett threw her under the bus and made her question her place as the third wheel and Tasha basically offered her a lateral move with only J'tia in her way so she went with it. Then she and Tasha realized Spencer is a cruddy ally so weighed the merits of gambling on keeping J'tia again. It all makes sense considering she's on a sinking ship trying to find the last life boat. It's the sort of play you usually see post merge from that goat who hangs on until final four simply because they have no loyalty or backbone. But she's shown no ability to grab the rudder and try to steer things some way.

Say what you will about Tasha, she's actually moved this tribe once or twice. I get the impression if she had decided to vote Spencer last night Kass would have gone along with it. Kass tried to paint that as Tasha being flaky but that's pretty rich considering she's just been following along. Still, Tash is going to play her way out of the game if she doesn't pull off a miracle and forge a post merge alliance. Kass could easily last deep in this game because she poses no threat and has shown a willingness to go any way gets her one move farther.

Kass and Spencer seem to be getting credit because they're very vocal about how inept the Brains tribe is. But that's not hard to see and neither has done anything since Day 1 to change the game. Someone said it last week but the Brains problem is simple and cliche (David also said it in his post eviction interview). Everyone on the Brains tribe thinks they're the smartest one in the group and everyone else is the problem. One of the is right about the "smart" thing but they're all the problem.

Spencer is getting credit because he's entertaining and also seems to be a decent player. I know you don't like players who are sarcastic or smug, but I think there's a difference between those things and just simple self-awareness. There's nothing wrong with lamenting how much your tribe sucks when you suck as much as they do. Besides, I'm not sure what sort of big moves you are expecting anyone on Brains to make at this point, especially since things you could arguably call moves so far have only resulted in disaster. Spencer's biggest move has been proving himself to be decent in challenges so if that's kept him around then he's at least more worthy of being there than J'Tia.

I see the logic in Kass and Tasha possibly keeping J'tia, but that move makes the most sense under the logic that J'tia would be completely loyal and Spencer would flip at a moment's notice. Neither of these things are a sure bet. If J'tia had only been mediocre in challenges (but still their reason for losing) and the rice thing hadn't been in the equation, I could see learning toward keeping her. She'd still be in Kass and Tasha's debt for not being voted out but she wouldn't seem like such an unpredictable liability. As it stands, she pretty much only has herself to blame for being gone at this point. I'm sure Tasha and Kass looked for every reason to try and keep her.

Spencer seems like a cool guy and I want him to go far. I don't think he's the best player ever but I'd like to see him play on a tribe that isn't total bullshit.

Unrelated, I'm not sure there has been enough mention about just how dumb the Brawn tribe is for even trying to throw a challenge right now. It's being eclipsed by just how bad Brains is, but it's still a monumentally stupid decision, especially when you're in a 3-tribe situation and you really don't have many numbers to work with.

Has throwing a challenge ever worked out in a tribe's favor?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

TMMadman posted:

Russell's tribe in Redemption Island threw a challenge and voted him out. Then he lost the next RI challenge.

Well it worked to get Russell out but it kind of doomed them ultimately. That whole situation is weird. Russell was crazy but I'd want to keep him around if anything. He brought Foa Foa and the Villains back from really bad positions to the point where both finales were only members of his tribes but he never gets any votes either.

Forgot about the Billy thing in Cook Islands. I guess that really didn't end up mattering much at all.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

blue squares posted:

Spencer sure is getting a lot of credit in this thread for figuring out such a no-brainer situation :rimshot:

He's so smart that it took him halfway through the challenge to realize what the other team figured out before it even began

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
God I hope Sarah doesn't get roped back in by Tony after all this. The guy is hilarious but man what a buffoon. If it wasn't for the 'final 5' chanting he may very well have been able to pull her back after the merge. Hoping she's smarter than that but who knows.

Then again it could be a better move for her as I bet the Solana 5 have a better chance of fracturing than the Brains at this point and you can't make it to the end when there's a solid 3 like that.

Very interested to see where everything goes at this point.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah I'm not certain what Woo's logic was, though my best guess is he wanted to keep the idol from Spencer and the best way to do that was have all his allies help.

My opinion of Spencer was all over the place that episode. He found the clue he hid it well, but not so much when he went to look for the idol. He could have at least put the clue in the pocket of the pants. The 'estrogen' comment was pretty unnecessary, but in his position I probably would have said something dumb in frustration too. Maybe we're both dumb. He apologized for his outburst so that's more than most people do. Maybe he only did it because it was in his best interest but I'm sure I'd feel the need to genuinely apologize so it could be either. Not ready to write him off for it entirely, but it lowered my opinion of him a bit.

That said, props to him on both finding the idol and hiding it while practically being watched, as well as the immunity win. That challenge looked painful and I'm sure it was much worse than it looked.

Still not sure what Kass's game is. Maybe she doesn't have one. Can't say it bothers me because it's been entertaining. I don't think I'd lower her to 'Chet' levels of bad because at least she's playing but I think she's imagining some other show entirely.

I hope the preview isn't misdirection cause I'd love to see what craziness results from what they suggested.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Spencer isn't "evil". It was just kind of a dumb thing to say.

Woo, on the other hand, is awesome and even though I'm kind of rooting for Spencer I thought that whole scenario was hilarious. I would not be disappointed if Woo ended up winning.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I like returning players but they should probably be restricted to 'all-star' seasons. Not that FvF hasn't been good, but returning players often do have a pretty big advantage.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Most people don't like Redemption Island. They might like the winner or the game they played.

Most people also agree One World's winner played a good game and is one of the season's few redeeming factors. I'd like to see them back, myself. It was still a very boring season though.

I'm still of the opinion that OW is way worse than Nicaragua.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

IcePhoenix posted:

It's incredible to watch and the thread was really fun the last few weeks.

This is why I have a minor appreciation for Nicaragua. A Fabio victory was always sort of a running joke in the thread but it just got funnier as he stayed in the game. Then the final episode where he pulled out an immunity streak made everyone lose their minds. So it was a lot of fun to watch that unfold.

And the double quit episode is really amusing for how pissed off Jeff gets.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Poque posted:

Survivor Nicaragua thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336907

Might be worth finding the double quit and then the final couple episodes.

This is nostalgic. Really makes me miss the days when I could livepost in the threads.

Regarding the latest new episode, not sure how to feel about it. Super idol is dumb but Tony is amusing. Still rooting for Spencer but it's not looking good for him.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I get that some people got annoyed at how the thread was initially really praising Spencer, but I'm not certain where anyone could get the idea that he thinks is entitled, smug or that he thinks he's playing the best game. That's pretty blatantly untrue. Some of his confessionals have incorrectly predicted events, but he's been fairly self-aware.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

I think they're both kind of jerks, and you can toss in Kass too. Spencer's "these monsters aren't as bad as I thought" confession didn't exactly endear him to me, especially when put side by side with Woo embracing it fully. It's why I'm definitely rooting for Woo to Fabio this. I just don't like anyone else.

More misinterpretation. He said that he does not like kids, but ended up being surprised at how much he enjoyed the experience. I don't exactly see what the problem with this is.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

JakeP posted:

Whys the special idol called the Tyler Perry idol

Because apparently actor/director Tyler Perry tweeted Jeff something along the lines of "hey how about an idol that you can use AFTER the votes?" and Jeff thought this was some sort of brilliant idea that they had never done before and certainly wasn't broken or anything.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Woo seems like a great guy and watching him can be entertaining but him winning would perhaps be the most boring outcome to this season. It's not like Fabio where he was the only person left who wasn't flat out terrible. Kass or Trish winning would be kind of underwhelming, though I think Trish has played fairly smart and Kass winning would be kind of weirdly hilarious.

Though at this point I kind of fear a Tony win, as entertaining has he can be. I just feel like he's the sort of guy who would never shut up about it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Reynold is the best.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I can't be the only one who noticed we didn't have a loved one visit episode.

Budget keeps shrinking apparently.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Good, I hate loved one visit episodes (just like I hate the walk of fallen heroes)

I hate it too, but the lack of it is more of a kind of worrying implication for the state of the show.

If they decided to just get rid of it because people hate it then that would be fine, but I have a feeling a large portion of the audience still thinks those episodes are sweet.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Rob's win is impressive because he was the biggest threat throughout the whole game and convinced people not to vote him out. The rules weren't changed for him. There were multiple times you could have just gathered 4-5 people and said 'Rob's too strong, he's gotta go' and voted him out.

Maybe people were scared of his potential return from Redemption Island. Maybe they were just dumb and felt there would always be another chance.

He had some advantages from having played so many times, but ultimately he wasn't any less vulnerable than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Wow that's awful. I know this sounds like a stock response but he really seemed like a good guy.

• Locked thread