Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the new thread HUMAN FISH.

Looks like this season will be entertaining with all new players, many who say they're real fans - and many to immediately dislike. Would not be surprised at all to see the Beauty team lose the first few immunity challenges and be decimated.

Pony: Garrett.
Says he studied the game; if he really did, and can follow some of Rob Cesternino's advice (like not drawing attention to yourself) he could go deep.

Poison: J'tia. She seems nice - and that'll get you voted off fast in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Rob Cesternino has his cast analysis and prediction podcast up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKXuQfJfm4

Looks like an unusually promising cast, full of people who are actual fans of the show.

Man that guy can talk and talk and talk. :words: And Nicole seems somewhat fixated on Morgan's...assets. I didn't know the first ep would be 2 hours, looking forward to that.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

So, the CBS website has a show-length preview special up. It's mostly your blech survivor introductions with Jeff injecting pointless commentary, but there happened to be something interesting!!
[/spoiler]
The CBS preview is okay but Corinne's "brutal" pre-game analysis of the cast on RHAP is a lot more fun.
http://robhasawebsite.com/corinne-kaplan-survivor-cagayan-cast-assessment-preview/

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Goodbye J'Tia

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
J'tia's a nuclear engineer...but then so is Homer Simpson. :doh:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Now that's a blindside!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Unmerciful posted:

DUMPING THE RICE DOESN'T GET YOU BOOTED

LOSING THE CHALLENGE DOESN'T GET YOU BOOTED

That should be the Brain tribe anthem LOL.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Just a reminder from the OP:

Garrett posted:

Why You Think You Will Be the Sole Survivor: Dedicated 2,000 hours in preparing for the strategic, social and physical elements of Survivor. Did everything from 50 hours of yoga, to over-analyzing every episode, to mastering slide puzzles to ready myself. I essentially devoted my entire life to preparing for this adventure for the previous 6 months.

:cawg:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Surprisingly, in Garrett's exit interview with Rob Cesternino he sounds like he knows the game. It's so different from the edit he got.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spiky Ooze posted:

But that's just finding upper crust type smart people. There's been a fair amount of those people on, and they're usually incredibly boring contestants. Or occasionally elitist creeps.

In keeping with the stereotype season they definitely wanted awkward nerds. At the same time if you're a nerd you should be smart enough to look at the history of this show and realize your biggest competition isn't other players. It's your nerdy self and you had better find a way to sublimate it before the show kicks off.
According to Probst, the season was already cast when one of the producers noticed that the Survivors could be split up into 3 arbitrarily themed tribes. They did not specifically cast for "awkward nerds". The only casting stereotype they look for is people who are telegenic.

David Samson is not a nerd, and has completed an Ironman. Brice seems like more of a nerd than David.
J'tia has been a model so could have been placed on the Beauty tribe if they needed another person.
Lindsay is a hairstylist so could have gone on Beauty, maybe. She's tough but doesn't seem particularly brawny.
LJ could easily be on a Brawn tribe.

The interesting social experiment of this season is that once you define or label people, they start to believe it and change their behaviour to fit the description.
The Brains fell apart so fast because some of them started thinking about their end game instead of "what do I need to do right now to stay in the game for 3 more days?"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 2, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Another fun episode, good start to this season.

Tony is awesome. Sucks at Survivor, but drat entertaining. I hope he goes far. I love irrepairably flawed players like that. He's about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I feel I got exactly enough of Brice from this season. A GIF of his face during the "dot dot dot :stare:" sequence is a must, and I figure one funny GIF and a few good lines is kind of his ceiling.

LJ continues to look strong and has to be an early frontrunner. Sarah kind of lost her way this week. I'll be curious to see the reaction on RHAP considering how much they were heaping praise on her last week. Woo is on pace to be an amusing wallflower and it's still fun saying his name like Ric Flair would.

It's still early but it looks like Spencer has some serious chops. He's been in an incredibly difficult spot and is putting on a clinic at handling bad situations on Survivor. He's hitting all the right notes being self deprecating, positive without coming off mindlessly so, keeping quiet when the situation calls for it. I'm very impressed. The confessional about how he has to be patient, manage his emotions, not get too down and try to get out of this tribe alive is spot on.

Tony did the classic cop move of seperating 2 perps and telling one, "Your buddy in the other cell told me that..."
I was surprised Sarah fell for it so easily. The Know-It-Alls said that even though it worked for Tony the danger is that if Sarah finds out (by taking to the other people), Tony will be in serious trouble. Also that Tony really got a lucky break at the end when Sarah dropped in the hammock and Lindsay derisively laughed at her, proving his point.

But some of the posters here seem to be falling into the same trap as the Survivors, of believing the created distinction between tribes. The Beauty tribe is bland?! Woo, Cliff and Trish didn't do much this episode that was entertaining or interesting.
A few more days on the rice diet and Cliff is probably going to look like he's moving in slow motion.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Back on Feb 28:

Binary Logic posted:

Surprisingly, in Garrett's exit interview with Rob Cesternino he sounds like he knows the game. It's so different from the edit he got.
OTOH the extended RHAP discussion this week with John and Candice Cody is somewhat bland.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 9, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Spencer vs. The World

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Watch them vote out Spencer and keep J'tia again

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
If J'tia thinks she's going home what will she ruin this week?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ghostpilot posted:

Hey now, let's not get ahead of ourselves: she lost Survivor, not her job in the nuclear power plant.

Access codes are being changed right now.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

JesusSinfulHands posted:

This is completely unfair LOL

Yes this is a bs contest

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

You basically had to run full speed into that pole and hope you rip it from the ground to get Cliff off of there

Cliff vs. Tony might have been interesting. Keeping the remaining 3 Brains together was like the most boring thing the producers could have done.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
At least J'Tia can't gently caress up the competition this time :)

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Toaster Ding posted:

Will be shocked if he doesn't play it

So many go home with Idol in pocket. Play it LJ!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Can he not add ?!!?!?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

Can he not add ?!!?!?!

Wow I was so wrong about this entire episode :(
Keeping brains together - interesting.
LJ - things worked out for him and he didn't need to play the HII

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

They had to have edited a shitload of stuff out to make that look like a shock on TV because there's no way he sits on that idol given what we saw

We didn't hear much from Tony, who was the pivotal vote.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That wasn't a bad move for Tony. Once Sarah left he was bottom of the remaining Brawn alliance if he was even part of it at all.

Woo seems like a male version of Brenda - attractive, athletic, but without much strategy or long game.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Woo is a surfer, Brenda runs Paddleboard Miami. Maybe that's where their similarity originated in my head.

I've been wrong about a lot this episode so I could be wrong about Woo too. The editing has been interesting this season, really keeping me guessing about what's going to happen.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

There was no rule saying they had to completely demolish the walls and ALL of the crossboards in full, just that they had to smash enough to get the ram and the team through.

Uncle Cliffy's team took the literal sense and that's what killed them by wasting time and energy smashing the entire barrier and all 3 crossbars before they advanced.

In the end though the comp was literally neck and neck to the finish.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I loved Jeff narrating "Rock breaks scissor" like it was part of the game.

It was kind of bullshit that the orange tribe won the challenge by crawling under the last 2x4. The rules mandated that all 6 people had to hold the log but they didn't have to fully break the walls?

I'm fairly certain there was a rule that Probst stated they had to use the log to break through the wall. And yet Tony used his hands and feet without getting a warning. So there was "bullshit" as you call it on both sides.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

Everything she's done or said has been spiteful, a straight-up lie, or highschool drama bullshit. I get that it's a game that involves deceit, but because of the rest I find her to be rather contemptible.
Then you'll get a laugh out of this.

Morgan posted:

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: I think I can relate most to Parvati Shallow because she is beautiful and manipulative just like me. She has the ability to make everyone love her but also fear her. That power and confidence is a good quality to have for this show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Where was Spencer when all that was going on.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Spencer better find the clue asap.

SteveVizsla posted:

Probably shouldn't have forgotten your pants
Kass has hosed up his head.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

gently caress Spencer

I'm okay with Spencer as a villain.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
In her exit interview (yeah I listened, it's only 20 minutes), Morgan said that Tony was entertaining but also made misogynistic comments around camp. So everyone hating on Spencer for mentioning a female hormone is going to have to hate Tony too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Should be called the Million Dollar Idol.
Tony can simply stick to his original alliance with Woo and Trish and win the jury vote since he's made all the moves and decided who to vote out at every TC. If he gets rid of either or both of them to drag a goat along, it's even better for his end game.
:gerty:

Funny ironic moment when Kass said she's not worried about Tony because he annoys people.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
ARGH

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

Tasha just explained why she did it you goons

Her explanation makes it even worse. If she is teamed with Spencer she could have improved their odds to 66%. But

Toaster Ding posted:

gently caress. This season is so stacked for Tony at this point it's actually starting to make it less enjoyable to watch

I mean I literally can't think of a scenario in which he's in any danger ever

This is now The Tony Show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I hate the TPI but can't blame Tony for the power it has, and how much it plays into his aggressive gaming style0.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My bad. I meant that she should have gone in for $500 too so there was a 66% chance of her and Spencer winning the clue.

That's what I was trying to say. IOW, it would have lowered Tony's chances of winning the advantage.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Chaos is a ladder.

Kass didn't look so smug after the vote.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

She (Kass) also could have very easily told Sarah what Sarah wanted to hear (Sarah made it quite obvious what she wanted from the competing alliances) and still been in an alliance where she wasn't at the bottom and been in a much better situation than she is currently, where the person in charge of the alliance didn't let her in on what was going on for two separate TCs.

When the person in charge of the alliance doesn't let you in on what was going on for two separate TCs...

...you're not actually in the alliance. Wonder if Kass and Trish will figure this out.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I thought Tony got rid of Jefra for the same reason he voted out Morgan, ie only people who are actually playing the game deserve to be there.
Jefra doesn't, er didn't do anything around camp, or do any strategizing, or make any big moves. She was just there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

As someone mentioned earlier, I want to see this if only so I can see Kass get questioned by the jury. Because she seems so completely oblivious to how stupid her move was and how unaware she has seemed whenever she's made strategy talk (particularly when making comments like "why would you turn on your alliance at this point, that would be stupid" 2 episodes after turning on her alliance).

I'd rather see Kass answer questions about her :airquote:strategy:airquote: in an exit interview.

• Locked thread