Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Cliff Robinson isn't a household name, but I think people who followed basketball relatively closely in the 90s would put the pieces together if they met a 6'10" dude named Cliff in his 40s. He's not on the same level as Jeff Kent or Jimmy Johnson, but I think Brad would have been able to blend in a lot more easily than Cliff if he weren't on a season with his returnee wife who had been listed as MARRIED TO A FORMER PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
FINALLY, I was able to find the idol. I had to look for, like, 30 minutes.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Why would you lie about being a cop. Nobody thinks cops are smart.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I see that Jeff is out of the gate with the unbearable over the top challenge commentary. Promises to be a great season!

"If there was ever a time the brains tribe needed to use their brains, it's NOW!! [in the first challenge!]"
"Kass and J'Tia need to go faster than humanly possible to catch up!! This is pathetic!!"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Fast Luck posted:

J'Tia is a nuclear engineer...

Yeah but she's black, and has been edited as mildly annoying in the first three days. Case closed

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I want to believe that Garrett coughing right as Jeff asked about the idol was an unedited involuntary urge, and Spencer legitimately picked up on it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"I just feel more comfortable working with you two....for legitimate reasons."
"It makes sense for you to be with us....and makes sense for us to be with you...again, for legitimate reasons..."

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Tony is a strong contender for the dumbest Survivor thus far.

"Hey I'm just uh...working on the shelter over here, away from the shelter. Don't ask me what I'm doing, and don't ask me what became of my work later."

CONFESSIONAL: "Nobody will ever suspect that I'm actually building a secret shelter where I've been working all day"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think he hosed that log.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Ghostpilot posted:

:ssh: Tasha, just go with it.

I think she realizes she's next in line if J'Tia goes, considering they asked Kass, then Spencer, then Garrett who should go, and they're not letting any conversation go on, and she hasn't talked with the other 3 one on one.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Oh my god, she's insane.

This is amazing.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This season has Gabon levels of trainwreck potential already. Why anyone would prefer to see competent, sane people play this game is beyond me.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

xbilkis posted:

This season has Gabon levels of trainwreck potential already. Why anyone would prefer to see competent, sane people play this game is beyond me.

oh my god i spoke too soon

this is perfect

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Ghostpilot posted:

gently caress the other tribes, give me this for the rest of the season!

Keep in mind that the brawn tribe seems to be nearly as dysfunctional, too. (well, not "nearly," because the Brains tribe is discovering new depths, but still significantly dysfunctional.)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

JesusSinfulHands posted:

One of the best premieres episodes ever?

edit: AND HE WENT HOME WITH AN IDOL IN HIS POCKET :laffo:

Oh my god, I forgot he had the idol. The guy with the idol who's the only strong guy on his tribe went over the bossy girl who hosed up two challenges and dumped all of their rice in the fire after they all told her she was being voted out.

This is, in all likelihood, the least probable thing that's ever happened on this show.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

xbilkis posted:

Yeah but she's black, and has been edited as mildly annoying in the first three days. Case closed

Oh, by the way, I just want to apologize to everyone who called that J'Tia was completely insane. I had actually already forgotten about her "too bossy -> she realizes her mistakes, but is it too late?" one-hour storyline until just a second ago, because, you know.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, I think Kass made up her mind when Garrett threw her under the bus just to look better to 1) the person who threw the rice in the fire who was going to be imminently voted out, and 2) the only other person on the tribe who wasn't part of their F3 pact. It'd be uncomfortable to go forward with a tribe/alliance where that guy was in control; at least with J'Tia in the game, there's (ostensibly) an "obvious boot" that shields you for another round.

That's the best part of this whole thing: even though it's loving insane, you can't definitively say it was the "wrong move," because Garrett played basically just as badly as the already-loathed woman who then went on to throw all of their food in the fire

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pulp Can Move posted:

No, you can say that it was the wrong move. Garrett was a bad player, but his badness was a detriment only to himself. J'Tia is a bad player who is a detriment to the entire tribe in every way possible.

I mean honestly, for Tasha and Kass, their only real prayer - no matter who they voted out - is holding on for a swap or tribe absorption or something. That's how terribly the Brains tribe hosed up the beginning of this game. Garrett going makes it a lot more likely that they'll lose another challenge, but it seemed fairly likely that they'd lose at least one more challenge even if Garrett stayed. Both of them were in far greater danger of an imminent boot with Garrett around, because they'll keep him as long as there's a prayer of winning a challenge, and Spencer is safe as long as he and Garrett are half of the tribe.

They were in a completely hosed situation, and they picked the option that (again, ostensibly, because who knows with these people) gave them at least 6 more days for something to miraculously appear. It's not great, but there's some logic to it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Slightly better odds at tribal success are counterweighted by much worse odds at individual success.

Even with a nearly 0% chance at tribal success (versus...let's say, a 20% chance if Garrett sticks in the game), you're probably getting a net positive if you go from a 50% chance of getting voted out in the case of tribal failure (and basically a guaranteed boot if you lose twice) to a nearly 0% chance of getting voted out next round, and fairly solid odds of staying in for 9 more days.

When you're at the point where there are 4 people left on a tribe that's been a dismal failure, and you're in the bottom rung of the tribal hierarchy, you might as well throw the dice and pray for the game to save you.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

STAC Goat posted:

And honestly, I don't think Tasha had any other option. From her perspective she absolutely was the odd man out. She could have just gone along with it but then she would have been in the Ciera position from last season. Even though we know the Kass alliance with the guys wasn't that stable she had every reason to believe it was a strong three the way they were all on the same page. J'tia and her insanity just made it an ridiculous position for her to be in.

Yeah, when a guy you've never seriously talked strategy with is ordering you not to strategize (and asks two other people who they think should be voted out before you), it doesn't bode particularly well for the future of your game. The funny thing is, I imagine Tasha and J'Tia would have pitched Kass on booting Spencer if they were actually given the opportunity to talk alone.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Erik avoided game talk at all costs, and said after the show that Cochran was the one who told him to tell the tribe that the three amigos might be bluffing with their idols. He didn't do anything actively bad, he was just a literal non-entity on Caramoan. And somehow, he was shocked that he didn't get a lot of screentime

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"I trust this guy that lied to me for no reason on day one 100%"

smart girl

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Ghostpilot posted:

Wow, remember a thing called the Russell Factor in changing how idols would be hidden?

Yeah, me neither.

Honestly, how hard is it to have multiple clues hiding the idol? It's not like they were this huge rare thing before Russell came around; the tiniest degree of difficulty would be nice.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That dramatic shot of the ball sliding down a thing was the most powerful thing I've seen in a while

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If Alexis just engineered her own boot, oh my god

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Sarah's obsession with cops is legitimately disturbing at this point.

Also, Tony is like an early-model Russell that was scrapped because it wasn't quite human and it was also way too stupid

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This is so meta

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't understand how people are simultaneously saying "how could they even consider keeping J'Tia" and "I hope Spencer flips as soon as he can!!", because it doesn't seem like a very difficult connection to make.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I wouldn't necessarily call Kass a savvy player at this point, but I almost think she's just making moves to see what happens. She has this weird way of carrying herself where telling J'Tia about the vote, agreeing to the alliance with Garrett/Spencer, swinging against Garrett, and being down to save J'Tia again last round all felt like moves where the logic behind it was 'might as well, I guess?'

If she slips through to the merge, I could see the 'might as well be down for whatever' strategy paying off with a bunch of chaotic players who have more important targets.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"Keeping the tribe strong" is the obvious strategy, but it's also not a viable strategy for people who are not the strongest people in the tribe when the numbers dwindle. One of Tasha and Kass would have been the next to go if the Brains had kept Garrett, and Garrett wasn't an automatic "win every challenge until there's a merge" pass considering how terrible they were at the first two challenges. It's like when people got mad at Sherri for forming an alliance of the weaker people in Caramoan — when all the strong people have put you on the bottom of the tribe, are you supposed to just hope that you're not their next target for the sake of 'tribal strength'?

It's even more severe this season, though: when you start off with two challenge losses on a six-person tribe, you can't just play for the team anymore, because the odds of you being the next to go have gone up so much.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It is different in a three-tribe season though, because you're likely to end up with basically 2 smaller alliances within each tribe. In this season, you've got:

Jeremiah/LJ/Alexis/Jefra
Tony/Sarah/Trish(/Woo?)
Tasha/Kass(/Spencer?)
Cliff/Lindsey(/Woo?)
Morgan
Spencer?

Two minority alliances linking up is a lot more likely to be successful under these circumstances, not to mention the potential for swapping alliances later in the season.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I do think it's hard to knock Spencer for a gameplay perspective. Like, this post:

mancalamania posted:

As someone who liked Cochran a lot and is lukewarm at best towards Spencer, I don't think you're overcompensating at all. He passes the bare minimum "aware there is a game being played" test, but that's about it.

I personally think Cochran is a lot more entertaining/likable than Spencer, but from a gameplay perspective during their first time out, I think Spencer is outpacing him by far. He's kept his head down and plowed through a situation where he was dealt a pretty lovely hand, and for an arrogant chess nerd to have the presence of mind to turn down all of the abrasive parts of his personality (where Cochran really, really couldn't on South Pacific) is pretty impressive. There's probably a rush to overpraise him here because of the board's demographics, but there's not much you can say he did wrong. His worst move was probably, like, not voting out J'Tia the first round?

I feel like i'm the only person in the world who wants the Brains tribe to stick together, because Tasha/Spencer seems like it could be a solid duo and Kass/Spencer seems like it could be a bizarro universe version of Dawn/Cochran, where everyone in the world is the most sour human imaginable and they all loathe each other deep down.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I mean, they have no way of knowing that the tribes are quite as fractured as they are, but after 12 days, it seems like a safe assumption that there’s a majority/minority alliance on each tribe. The divide might be softer sometimes than it is this season, but it’s almost always going to be there to be exploited. With 6 people, the chances of a united tribe running through the game are lowered because everyone immediately has to jockey for position. With 8-10 people on a tribe, you have several rounds to “breathe” before a majority alliance has to even think about cannibalizing itself.

Re: Spencer – yeah, I didn’t mean to make it seem like that was a particularly bad move, more of a reflection that he’s done mostly everything “right.” J’Tia, at that point, was “the weakest member of the tribe” and “bossy,” which is a far cry from the “probably the worst challenge competitor of all time” and “insane” we ended up at. Pushing harder for her probably wasn’t worth the risk at the time, but in hindsight...

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Kin33 posted:

If you like nutty characters then you can't go wrong with Gabon. Top 5 season for me. Vanuatu is also up there but that's mostly cause I think Chris is the most rad bro ever.

edit: Also Ken from Gabon just got picked up by Team Liquid for their Smash brothers team if anyone cares.
And its a crime that Randy, Sugar, and Corinne have been called back before Ken, Matty, and Crystal.

Sugar was the heart and soul of Gabon so I don't blame them for bringing her back first, but yeah the other two weren't really standouts. I'd be willing to see basically anyone who wasn't one of the Onions or Ace return from that season, because they were all really strong personalities on their own (and also insane, and mostly terrible at the game, which made for a great chaotic season).

Also, I will be this thread's Nicaragua defender if I have to be. Chaotic season, neat winner, Jane rules, and NaOnka is great if you don't take ~the game~ seriously and view her arc as continuously putting together the least explicable Survivor season ever (concluding with her jury vote). I didn't like about half the cast, but it played out in a unique way and I definitely enjoyed it more than the next three seasons. There are more "memorable characters" throughout than there were in the next several newbie casts, Philippines excepted.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
My only regret is that we were robbed of seeing J'Tia compete in this challenge

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Haha, Cliff was all "that was adorable that you guys tried" when the challenge ended

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Trish is approaching RC territory with that laugh.

Sick move, Alexis

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"There are two other pairs in this tribe, so let's get rid of the pair we've been with from the beginning and keep the pair that has connections with the other tribe!"

I know that there's a divide on the old Brawn tribe, but you'd think the majority alliance wouldn't be so quick to ignore the merge implications.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

xbilkis posted:

"There are two other pairs in this tribe, so let's get rid of the pair we've been with from the beginning and keep the pair that has connections with the other tribe!"

I know that there's a divide on the old Brawn tribe, but you'd think the majority alliance wouldn't be so quick to ignore the merge implications.

And, somehow, Tony is the person who overcomes his Cliff hatred to point this out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Haha, Tony calling someone crazy. This is great

• Locked thread