Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I think that the brains team are not as brainy any of the contestants from "King of the Nerds".

If the first season of "King of the Nerds" proved anything, it's that "nerds" are not necessarily that intelligent. All the scientists and engineers left the show very early, except for one woman from NASA who still didn't make it near to the end, while the show was dominated by slightly broken man/woman-children that were able to answer detailed questions about Batman, and video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Honestly, I don't consider any of the winners that took more than one game to get their win to be very good winners. This means that in my mind Sophie will always be a better winner than Cochran (sorry dude), and it also hilariously means that Boston Rob is the worst (took 4 loving times to win) and Sandra is the absolute best (100% win-rate baby!).

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Shakugan posted:

I don't think this is the case. Go to a decent university, look at the doctoral students and pick people who seem relatively normal and likeable. You're essentially guaranteed to get a group of incredibly smart (and capable), but likeable people.

The reason we are seeing this "brain team" self-destruct, with members who are intelligent but have no street smarts etc is precisely because that's the story the producers wanted to tell. They deliberately picked people they thought would conform to stereotypes about intelligent people. It doesn't confirm the stereotypes, it's just selection bias.

You basically said what I wanted to say. When someone mentions "brains" in relation to Survivor I think of Kim, Sophie, Yul, Earl, and a number of other winners that played really excellent games (Cochran is a cool dude, but I've mentioned before that I don't count people that need more than one try to win).

The brains the show has brought on is the same gimmick casting that leads to a show like "King of the Nerds" casting maybe 3 scientists/engineers, and then a Pokemon Youtube sensation*, an unemployed 28 year old woman with a degree in chemistry, and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk6c9cAaaIM)

*Fun fact: The Youtube Pokemon man was one of the more well-balanced people.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
whoops- that was meant to be in the game of thrones thread.....what the heck...

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 5, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The thing is...sometimes a person that is on a team that loses a lot still wins the game. Not even a couple seasons ago, a woman that went to every tribal won the game. It's a mildly more risky way to play, but thinking beyond "win the challenges" is a valid and sometimes winning way to play.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Unfortunately, I basically decided to hate Spencer the moment he started talking to Kass about how it was "obvious" that he and Garret should ally with her over the two black women (especially since Tasha hasn't done anything to make her an obvious person to exclude), because of all the weird implications of that statement. I honestly want to see him go when the first chance comes up. I'm also really liking Tasha's game so far, as well as Kass's, so we'll see where things go.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Or Garrett could have done the typical "over-muscled dude withering when he has no food" thing that frequently occurs on this show. There is no guarantee the presence of Garrett would have changed those challenge outcomes. Especially when it's been pointed out several times that ALL of them were contributing to losing those challenge with J'tia just being a really obvious shitbird amongst a team of them.

Honestly, I'm really impressed with Tasha and Kass. They were put in a really lovely situation after the first vote because it was obvious that Spencer and Garrett had already picked a boot order and they were on the losing side of it. They didn't want J'tia but they needed her to stay in the game...and it's working so far. They are both playing a very Sandra-like game, moving alliances freely, playing each vote as best they can... which means half this thread is going to go apeshit if one of them wins.

EDIT: I predict the two of them are going to do very well in the merge when the other teams all pull out the knives trying to vote out their former teammates.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Shakugan posted:

This isn't true at all, since being a kingmaker isn't a strong position. The decimated tribe may help one of the two larger tribes to vote out the other, but they are extremely likely to be eliminated as soon as that's done, since they aren't part of the core alliance (an example of this on a smaller scale is Jeremiah, who was the "kingmaker" in the last beauty elimination; he may have had that role in that vote, but if we imagine the game was just that beauty tribe, he'd be the first to go after he helped eliminate Morgan). Being one of the bigger groups is a much more favorable position than being the kingmaker group, and so the premerge strategy should be to ensure that this happens. This happens by keeping the tribe strong and not losing numbers.

...and yet one of the two players from the decimated tribe last time did...hmm what was it?.....oh thats right! She won the loving game. AND the other person on that tribe was only eliminated because his former tribemate (the winner) voted him off. The two of them lasted until the endgame part of the season. Literally, of the two times this have ever happened, one of the times that person on the losing tribe won the whole thing. Making any calls about the "smart" way to play a three tribe game is incredibly pre-mature because three tribe games are really weird, and season after season has shown smart players from "losing" tribes go all the way to the end (and win!).

EDIT: For every Kim, Sophie, and Todd there is a Natalie, Earl, and Denise.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 14, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I never say that someone made a bad move until that person actually leaves the game....so that means that I won't be able to figure out if this latest Kass manoeuvre was good or bad for her. Remember kids, there is no "wrong" way to win Survivor, because winning is all that matters.

As for Spencer. I can't stop laughing. He's in this position because he allied with a player that changes her vote/alliance every other tribal, and he somehow thought she was the "obvious" pick waaaay back in episode 2 (over Tasha, who has been playing like Hell all season). The little poo poo deserves it.

Tony is awesome, his ability to observe and gently caress with people is top-notch and he is like some kind of shark in that he never stops moving. Trish is also great. She got rid of Cliff (and Lindsey), and then nailed where the weak-spot was in the alliance of 6.

Beautiful plays, beautiful season, death to all returning players.

EDIT: The Brains still aren't voted out yet, so I still stand by my earlier comment that voting out all their strong males was a fine decision.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
This season is certainly giving us plenty to talk about. I'm just saying that I reserve my judgement on HOW a person played overall until after the finale. Like, for example, I'm enjoying the hell out of Tony's constant bombardment style of play, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea until I see if he wins. In the same way, I'm shocked by Kass's decision, but if she wins then it was, by definition, a good move. That's why I hold back on calling anything a "bad" move. Because sometimes a dumbass surfer/underwear model/stoner wins by just being not deplorable on a season of deplorable people and so that was the "right way" to win that season.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 4, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I guess I really don't watch the show to just see my "favorite" player win (not that I don't have favorites), but also to enjoy seeing HOW the person that does win pulls it off. I've never been disappointed in a winner because each person does it in their own unique way based on how the game changes. You can't pick "odds" for moves in a game like this, especially when the rules change so often and most of the variables aren't cards in a deck, but other people.

In any case, I've been in these threads long enough to see people here post about how terrible a person is all the way to the million only to complain that they are "undeserving" or a "lovely winner" as if that makes the money they get any less real, or the title of Sole Survivor any less true.

EDIT: The fact that people still use loving Boston "Lost more games than any other player" Rob as an example of a mastermind rather than the long list of actual mastermind winners still shows how caught up people can get in thinking someone is deserving of a win.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 4, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
If Kass won I would be tempted to scour the thread for every single post about how terrible her game was...but it's unlikely she'll win and also that would be douchy as gently caress.

However, I am still smiling at how all three brains are still in the game after the early thread calling every move they made as suicidal.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
When Kass makes it to the F2 and then beats Tony due to bitter jury syndrome I am going to laugh so hard and hold it dear to my heart for as long as this show gets renewed. Because the degree at which posters here are riding Spencer's knob while completely making GBS threads on her game has reached hilarious levels at this point.

People have been predicting she would be gone since episode 2 on, and yet she remains.

I mean, people were saying after her first big flip that she traded in a guaranteed spot with her old alliance and was going to be voted off first be her new one, and yet...

EDIT: And now come about 5 posts arguing with me, but we'll see what happens soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Is Boston Rob still the only returning player whose only win was on a season with no other returning players (Russell got removed by his own tribe so early, that he never really came into play)?

• Locked thread