Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Baseball Coach Everyone Hates might actually do pretty well if he makes it past the first week or so. Being able to keep yourself under control while exhausted and under stress is a very important part of survivor, so if he can do that like he says he'll have an advantage while everyone else starts to collapse a bit. Players pretty consistently say that they hardest part of the game wasn't stuff like strategy but just dealing with living in like a stick building with bugs everywhere and not much food and crappy weather all the time. My favourite right now is Cop Guy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I was kinda glad to see Garrett go though J'tia's not great either. Seems like this brains tribe is the kind of brains where they're good at something 'smart' unrelated to survivor, but on the show, everything they do is dumb. Garret tried to pull a Boston Rob control everyone strategy. If he was gonna do that, he should have used his idol more effectively. I think the rest of the brains tribe was smart to get rid of them even if he is probably their best challenge guy because after losing two challenges in a row they are pretty much going to lose the rest until some shakeup happens. Now the other tribes can sit out their two weakest players for any given challenge, a rather enormous advantage.

Also that puzzle Sarah nailed and J'tia bombed looked hard as hell. Jagged spinny things and you put other jagged spinny things in? I'd hate to be stuck doing that.

J'tia kinda put herself in her position though. "I'm the smartest person here!" On the "brains" tribe of a show that has who knows how many people apply? Get to know the other people at least before you decide you're the best. Everyone else seemed to kind of go along with it not because they were impressed by the word 'engineer' but because they didn't want to shut someone else down so early. Then they went with it because she was a lightning rod.

David hosed up a lot by trying to trumpet how strategically he was thinking all the time.

Liking the season so far.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

James315 posted:

I agree the deck was stacked against the Brains tribe. As you said, both the Brawn and Beauty tribes are going to have athletic people, which helps them in the challenges. The Brains tribe was worse off, having less-athletic members, while not having anything going in their favor as a counterweight. Being brainy and strategic is useful for an individual in Survivor, but isn't so useful in the inter-tribal challenges in the beginning of the game.

They tried to even things out by having puzzle elements in the challenges. (After all these years, they still haven't figured out that puzzles just don't film well and most of the time aren't any fun for the audience to watch. :( ) On paper, the puzzles are supposed to be in the Brains' favor. If that were true, the Brains would probably have the advantage, since in the past most time on a challenge is consumed by the puzzle part.

The reality is that there isn't much connection between intelligence and performing well on the puzzles. Being good at Survivor puzzles is more like its own skill. The Survivor contestants most known for being good at the puzzles are Boston Rob and Ozzy, neither of whom would've been assigned to the Brains tribe based on their bios when they first played. In the bios, LJ (of the Beauty tribe) professed to being a puzzle whiz, and so far it looks like he was telling the truth. And that's pretty much all it takes to knock out the Brains' advantage in that area, if they ever had one to begin with.

An athletic tribe with at least one person who's good at puzzles is going to have a huge edge in Survivor challenges. A "Brawn" tribe or a "Beauty" tribe can easily fit that description. A "Brains" tribe, not so likely. Brains coming in last place in the challenges is exactly what we should expect. If they ever do the BBB theme again in the future, they really need to rethink this.

You make a very good point. I think the brains tribe, at least, a theoretical actually smart one, could also perform decently on challenges with more sections requiring organization and strategic distribution of resources/skills or reliance on communication. Like those ones where you have to guide blindfolded people. This brains tribe did do well in the challenge where they had to move the chests underwater. The beauty tribe, though markedly more athletic, totally sucked at it. If there were more stuff like that, where figuring out an easy way to do something can give you a big advantage, as opposed to just puzzles, it would reward a smarter tribe.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Brains tribe still sucked at that challenge even though they didn't lose. J'tia was trying to toss like, droplets sometimes. If everything falls out just toss the bucket back. I guess they were good at the maze. With a puzzle it helps if a team can talk it out together if they can work together. Not just going "c'moooooooon focus! FOCUS! WHY ARE YOU NOT FOCUSING ON THE PUZZLE?" while one person flounders. Maybe they would have been extra super lovely had they not practiced.

I thought Jefra's name was Jethra. You know, the female version of Jethro. Also, this has probably been pointed out already, but her last name is literally Bland.

In terms of fitting the stereotypes, Tasha should be a member of every tribe. Dayum.

Although Brains tribe is chumps I was glad to see them not lose just to mix things up a bit.

I agree Spencer is handling his pretty bad situation well for now. Though I feel like if they had to go to tribal council he would still be the one going home. A more proactive player might be looking for an idol that was put back into play after Garret was possibly voted out with one in his pocket. Though I think lately they haven't been doing that? I didn't watch the last season.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Winning early on long-term has pretty huge advantages most of the time. Your team collects the early rewards and denies them to other teams, so presumably the nature of the game wears you down slower. When you come into the merge, you have more people you have a connection/possible alliance with and information about. And of course there are fewer times you have to dodge being voted off. The three tribe dynamic has mitigated the bigger tribe annihilating the smaller tribe, but it's still way better to try to win those early challenges. It still serves you well long-term.

Marking a person as a late game threat is kind of pointless when people and their position often change drastically over the course of the game. David decided Garret was a late-game threat (and "eliminated" him by picking him for whatever unknown poo poo was going to happen at the beginning) but he probably would have eventually suffered from Ripped Starved Dude syndrome and crapped out like guys like James tend to do.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think some players go too far with the "we need to win challenges!" thing in terms of deciding who they're going to vote off. But if you go around deciding every competent person on your tribe is a late-game threat then you're going to implode your team and end up at a bigger disadvantage.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think a big reasons for the all girl/all guy alliances is just that when you get out there, you are either in an alliance early on or you're toast, and it's the same situation after any big shakeup. If you want to be in an alliance with someone you'll use any common ground as an excuse to try to convince them, whether it be girl power or country folk or cops as seen this season. Being super jesusy is another one that seems to happen, as is age groups. Boston Rob talked about it one time, saying he didn't like seeing other players bond over anything, whether it be their religion or whether they both like Oreos. In a game where you need to make alliances, real and fake, sorta based on nothing but blind trust and mutual need, you'll tend to take any common ground as a valid enough reason.

I'm not saying race is never one of those factors, and there certainly have been some skeevy moments on the show in that regard.

But let's face it, the real true reason the beauty tribe voted out Brice is because he's not that hot. Where are the abs, steely eyes, and devil-may-care, even, three-day stubble? Don't got em you say? Oh would you look at that your torch went out.

As for beauty tribe giving dumb answers to questions during tribal I just took that as their form of question dodging. "Does your tribe conform to the stereotypes people would expect?" The only answers you could really give directly are "Yeah Jeff, some of us are sorta entitled and lazy," or lying, assuming all that stuff we saw with the girls being lazy around camp wasn't cherrypicked. Coming off as naive and giving a "yeah Jeff we're all hot hehehe" probably seems better than those options when people might be about to vote you off based on how much they like you or trust you.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Hey, someone on the brains tribe actually used their brains in a challenge and it worked. Getting the two guys up front was what they needed. They would have been demolished without that.

Woo looked more surprised and devastated that Cliff was voted out than Cliff himself did, haha.

How long until a full merge, do you guys think?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
It's from Gabon. edit: megabeaten

I agree Brains looks extra bad partly because they didn't just lose, they lost to two other tribes. But I would say they are not the worst ever (though they are certainly a weak lineup) because they didn't lose every time.

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 22, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I don't mind them re-using challenges as long as they're good ones. I remember one recent season at least had a few lazy-looking, boring-to-watch challenges where Jeff didn't even show up to officiate.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Unrelated to anything, but why do they call it Ponderosa? Was it sponsored by the steakhouse?

I think it's 'cause you Ponder all the horrible mistakes you made and how dumb and bad you are while everyone else is still playing.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
That tribal council was pretty nuts. Honestly I thought there would be more people shuffling back into their old alliances.

I don't think Kass will get very far because, regardless of whether her flipping was a good move for her, she kinda brought it on herself. She basically goes up to Sarah and says "So anyway I think you're disloyal and a liar. I am volunteering this information for no real reason. This is how I make conversation." Then doesn't seem to get why Sarah doesn't like her. She has done similar things earlier this season like telling people her alliance is going to vote for them. She seems to not really 'get' the game, like she is on the show and knows about who to vote off but when it comes to controlling what you say as part of a strategy she is blind. That puts her at a pretty big disadvantage.

I used to hate Trish but I guess Ashley or whoever just brought out the worst in her. She was pretty smart this episode. She seems like the only person to think "what if we just try to flip more than one person, I could try for Kass."

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Can you "play" an idol for somebody else? I thought you could either give it to someone else for them to use how they see fit, or use it yourself. I mean in LJ's position this time I doubt he'd say "thanks Tony I'mma keep that idol bro" but I can imagine where someone would do that.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Was OLYMPIC MEDALIST CRYSTAL the one who was underwhelming in physical challenges?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

That's amazing. All I could remember was her being bad at climbing a hill somehow.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
This episode started out pretty badly (petty squabbles and product placement challenge) but the idol scramble was pretty cool. I think if Spencer played the game more aggressively he could have done something like lie about what kind of idol he found or made it evident he had it. But I think it's clear that neither of the two big alliances are really tight and Spencer is just looking out for himself and doesn't care if his alliance implodes as long as he's not going home. I mean even if he did play the idol on Morgan and they got out Tony, how much loyalty would that buy? Morgan isn't really playing hard enough to be winning individual immunity (which does help their alliance) or busting out secret idols. And there would still be a ton of challenge threats around.

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 11, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
To me HvV was especially cool because it was a lot more show-y than the seasons right before and especially after it. Some of the challenges were really huge and awesome, and a lot of people made big moves and had interesting personalities. I mean I like the currently airing season but it had someone who quit because they were too mad at somebody. I like to see people on who respect the game they're playing and I thought HvV was very exemplary of that. Though I prefer seasons where there's no pre-existing relationships I thought in HvV it at least made things entertaining.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

dimejubes posted:

I don't get why they let go of Jefra so easily. She said that the letter from her Mom was a sign from god or something. If Spencer had revealed the idol earlier they could've had her play double agent and let them know who to play the idol for, which is risky, but I don't see how drawing rocks was ever going to convince Jefra. And why did Woo look so freaked when he saw his name if he knew Spencer had misplayed the idol... unless it was edited misleadingly.

Jefra seems basically incapable of playing double agent against her alliance. Trish caught onto her wibe right away. "I just don't feel like I can trust Tony. He lies a lot and betrayed our alliance." "Tony, can we trust you?" "Yes." "Alright then, guess I'll go back on my promise and that 'sign from god' then."

It was kinda surprising that she told the other tribe before the vote. They didn't make a big deal out of her doing that but it seems like something that would score major points with them, or at least not leave them with any hard feelings like finding out she wasn't voting with them when the votes were read at Tribal.

I was also surprised at Woo being super shocked to see his name read despite the votes going the other way. I guess he just thought they were gonna vote Tony and didn't like the idea that he was their target.

You just know somebody's going to find the idol when they're the only person even trying to look for it, and telling the story of them looking. It kinda bums me out that something so overpowered is in the game. I think Tony is alright but I am kinda not liking how dumb everyone else seems believing him and siding with him. This idol should have been at least harder to find. Like that one time an idol was sort of just buried in a random place and the clue was about how many steps to take from a landmark to dig for it.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think that plan would backfire too hard. A person capable of pulling off that level of acting/deception is better off just trying to play the game well as themselves. Maybe lie about some stuff to gain sympathy from the jury, like how Russel had said he was a firefighter during Hurricane Katrina. Though I would go with something less brazen than that. Or avoid telling people you are in a potentially hated profession or you have a lot of money already and don't need the million dollars as much as the other people there.

It would be really cool to see someone pull a full personality switch at a final tribal council but I doubt it will ever happen. Once you have people hating you, especially when they can all talk to each other about how much they don't like you, it is really hard to turn that opinion around.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The people on Tony's tribe don't seem bitter when they get voted out, but who knows how they'll be feeling come final tribal council. I guess Sarah probably won't vote for him but LJ and Jefra didn't seem bitter to me. They might feel like Spencer or Tasha have the underdog thing going for them. I'm sure seeing Tasha there three tribals in a row with individual immunity is impressive. Tasha also really deserves props for her "make it look like there's a girls alliance by just hanging out with the girls a lot and shooting the poo poo with them." From the way it was edited it seemed like Spencer and Tasha both had the same idea independently of each other and then accidentally executed it well? It's also pretty funny that at the beginning of the season, Tasha and Spencer's tribe was insanely terrible at challenges and they didn't demonstrate much ability either but in the individual challenges it really is a different game.

I think if I were on this season I would have flipped out over that steak sandwich at the auction. The other stuff looked decent to great (though the popcorn and candy would probably just make me sick to my stomach) but a steak sandwich is what I pray for when I'm starving.

I agree Trish is actually playing a pretty decent game but she doesn't seem to be playing hard enough to win. Unless Tony starts to really piss people off or she ends up in the final three with Spencer and Tasha and the jury kinda splits their votes for them but her alliance votes mostly for her.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

TheChad posted:

Also Tasha leaving makes me sad. :(

Same here. I hope she comes back in the next returnee's season. She didn't have a huge personality but she played the game competitively, was reasonable and thus not infuriating to watch, and is ridiculously attractive. It seems it's mostly goofballs or near-winners that get brought back though.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
To me a perfect season would be:

- No returnees
- No quitters of med-evacs. Seeing someone get reluctantly sent home can be interesting but I like the game to be balanced.
- Baller challenges like the ones in Heroes vs. Villains. Ones with a lot of variance so no one type of person can reliably win immunity.
- A couple infuriating contestants that get their comeuppance mid-game
- Three starting tribes
- Idols hidden so well you NEED the clues to find them
- Camp is an Outback Steakhouse with the roof removed

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I didn't figure Tony to be the type of person who'd recommend Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

mancalamania posted:

Presumably, but this still strikes me as unfair. I hate when one player knows rules about the game that other players will not. It's bad enough that Tony knew about its powers and the others didn't, it's even worse that he can lie about something so crucial at the penultimate tribal and the other players just have to guess if he's lying or not. In the past, Jeff has said at the Final 5 TC "this is the last night to use a hidden immunity idol" and he really should have said that this season and emphasized that that includes all hidden immunity idols.

I agree, it adds too much power to the idol since not only is it ultra-super-powerful to begin with but it's additionally powerful by them not telling other players what it does AND omitting something they've said in I think all previous seasons, that no idol can be used at the final 4 tribal council.

Also Trish is like amazingly bad at challenges. Sometimes older women kill it late-game with things like endurance or puzzle challenges, but Trish seems to just have no energy for them.

Also Tony constantly lying and backpedaling is hilarious. I think his tell is that he starts twiddling his hands around each other when he's making poo poo up. "See Woo, that's why I swore on my DEAD DAD for you. Whereas for Kass I swore on my wife and child, because I knew I'd have to backpedal. My wife and child don't mean poo poo to me. I don't care if God strikes them down at all Woo. I only care about my dead dad's soul you see. Trustworthy."

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 15, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

That's a pretty comprehensive list really.

You could throw "braid leaves together to make roof that is at least mostly waterproof" and "basic hut construction techniques" if you want to be a god to your tribe, but it's not like their gratitude is gonna keep your rear end safe, so... eh.

Gratitude for providing never really helps. All it really gets you is avoiding the "well this guy doesn't do poo poo at all!" point people use when trying to get someone voted off, which is never actually their only point or even something they really care about much.

However, being able to build a good shelter is still a valuable skill because then you don't have to live in a lovely shelter for the first half of the game. The first few tribal immunity and reward challenges can have a pretty big domino effect. If your team is nicely sheltered and fed while the other team is cold, tired, and hungry, the odds of those first few challenges tilt in your favour a decent amount. Then you win the rewards and have an advantage in challenges (because you can sit out your weakest members) and you will have numbers on your side post-swap/post-merge which can be pretty big. Of course many tribes still implode even with numbers advantages so it's just one of many factors in the game.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Tony deciding to play on Woo's honour, which he had exhibited none of before, and it working, is just funny to me.

This season was pretty fun. Kinda obvious Tony would win. Though everyone crying spoilers about Tony and Spencer's constant twitter conversations meaning those two must be the final two had me convinced but we were all a buncha wrongies.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

FamDav posted:

do they do multiple challenges at each level? i can see making a bigger challenge look smaller, but not a smaller challenge look bigger.

I think he means the ones like say this season's where each team had to have someone hang onto a pole while two members of the other team have to drag them out of the field. I think we saw it as a best of 3 but they might have done more rounds that they didn't bother to show due to time/not being dramatic enough. So the end result of which team wins is the same but we don't see some of the rounds and rather than address this, the show pretends that it was just a best out of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
To me I think not letting yourself get into a bad position is a skill. It's not as fun as watching someone make a comeback as the underdog but it's just as impressive to keep a game together, especially in Survivor where if you're in charge of an alliance you're like a Sith lord with all your underlings constantly on the brink of overthrowing you.

Though in Survivor sometimes starting on top is definitely just luck. Like the better members of the Brains Tribe were just kinda screwed over with a few toxic teammates. So the Brawn and Beauty tribes were luckier in that regard (even though they also had problems.)

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 27, 2014

• Locked thread