Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SageNytell posted:

Quick check for those who donated: Do we accept outside input but maintain veto power? I feel like that would be a solid approach, and that's how I would like ideally to proceed, but I'd like to hear from my fellows first.

This was my proposal in the 13A thread so I'm cool with it.

It sounds like the general consensus is some combination of a necrobotonomancy based dungeon. The actual flavor of it can be hashed out, but am I wrong in this general takeaway? If that's true, would it be possible to just throw a bunch of Icon-related reasons why adventurers would need to go to this dungeon, so as to grant some freedom from the backers? I, uh, admittedly didn't read the entirety of SageNytell's (awesome) megapost with the greatest of scrutiny, but how much space do we have to work with? I assume we're not going to actually be giving a specific layout and diagram of said dungeon, but rather a broad overview with setpieces and maybe an NPC or something, but someone can feel free to spell out what we need to actually do besides throw ideas.

ack posted:

If I recall correctly, red mage didn't even have the idea to start the pool, he just took over it. We should donate the physical rewards to charity or something. Great work OP.

Ironically I think the reason Red Mage handled it was because he was well-respected and trusted at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've always been a fan of painting an idea, not a picture, so I would be perfectly okay with the flavor text going away. It bothered me when the Icons had their flavor text as well, especially when they're supposed to be so malleable. Also, I would be perfectly okay with scrubbing all reference to SA except maybe a line that says "submitted by the Something Awful Traditional Games Community" or something. If you're a goon you're probably going to add a Get Out Necro-Slaad or something anyway, but a "joke" that's only funny once is often terrible all the other times you have to read it.

Here's my proposal of a history, written in a way that is totally not publishable but whatever. Imagine in some age past an old plant god, which I'll simply call The Green for now, sacrificed himself to defeat an old god of death that was slowly turning into a god of murder, which I'll call The Harvester. The manner of death is that the The Green bound himself to The Harvester, such that The Green's essence would always satiate The Harvesters desire to kill. Or whatever, I can work on this a bit, but I really just wanted to evoke the old Mexican belief that life can kill death (nerd reference: Grim Fandango).

Anyway, fast forward a few ages/millenia, and the intertwined husks of The Harvester and The Green becomes this unknown whatever out in the middle of somewhere. I have no idea how to make the anatomy work such that it ends up being a ziggurat, but whatever, gods don't have to conform to humanoid shapes. Anyway, regardless, it becomes this almost cancerous growth of eternal birth and death, of lush verdant natural environments intermixed with the stench of rot and decay.

And it starts to bear fruit.

I don't know how much of the Macguffin needs to be explained, since again I like the idea of giving people an idea and seeing where they take it themselves, but if this idea has any traction, I can start to develop it more or something.

• Locked thread