Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Additional questions now it's the morning here:

How long do you have to complete the 9 AFF stages? Is there a maximum time period between completing each stage before you have to start over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

crowtribe posted:

Additional questions now it's the morning here:

How long do you have to complete the 9 AFF stages? Is there a maximum time period between completing each stage before you have to start over?

As a beginning, you have to jump at least once every 30 days. I had to wait two weeks between my E1 (AFF6) and E2 (AFF7) due to the weather in California. But we needed that rain :)

As you progress in certifications, the minimum jump time decreases to 60 (A), 90 (B), and then 6 months (C/D). If you dont jump that often you need to make a jump with a USPA instructor to show you still know what you're doing

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

crowtribe posted:

I did have a question about packing your main and reserve canopies though - is there a special method of folding and rolling like parachute origami that makes sure it comes out just right?

You also mentioned two-out, where both canopies deploy - what's the risk of this? Do you have to detach the main or anything - what effect does it have if you have a 'skyhook' configuration?

Packing: Yes, there are different methods for main canopies and different reasoning behind them. The most common method is called pro packing. You can find instructions on youtube look at Performance Designs channel. I think Nick G is the guy that did that series. Reserves are packed in a different manner than mains, similar to BASE pack jobs. You probably won't ever pack a reserve. You have to be a FAA certified rigger to do so legally. It's not hard, just different.

Two out canopy situations can be dangerous for a number of reasons and how to best handle it is almost a religious argument. You can land safely with 2 parachutes out. It really depends on how they are flying and how much altitude you have. For instance if the reserve is flying perfectly behind your main, and you cut away the main. You've now released a bunch of poo poo that is now going to entangle with your reserve and probably kill you.

If you start working towards a license this is one of the emergencies that will be covered during your first jump course.

For story time, one of our practice days for 4 way rotations, my reserve decided to fire through the main canopy of the guy docked on me. That was, exciting.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
When you say that the reserve is behind the main, is that because the lines are longer on the reserve than the main canopy?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

crowtribe posted:

When you say that the reserve is behind the main, is that because the lines are longer on the reserve than the main canopy?

No. When you have a two out usually the main and reserve are flying in front or behind the other. We call that a biplane configuration. When they are flying end cell to end cell we call that a side by side. A biplane is the most stable flight wise. You can fly your dominant canopy with gentle input to the risers. This will tend to keep the canopies in a biplane config. Side by side is when things can get dangerous (depending on altitude. If the canopies turn away from each other you go into what is called a downplane. Now we do these for fun with two people. Basically the parachutes will orient themselves 180 out from one another and you'll start spinning and diving at the ground. Your descent rate and angle will be a function of the size of the parachutes. "Common" wisdom in the sport to have fairly identically sized reserve and main canopies. I personally think this is poo poo. I like having the biggest reserve I can in my container. It's far easier to land in a tough situation. My freefall rig has a Saber2 120 for a main, Performance Design Reserve 160. You just can't sink a 120 into a tight LZ like you can with a 160.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Do any of you guys know anything about hang gliders?

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
I have a sinus condition that makes it hard (sometimes impossible) to clear my ears when the air pressure changes. I spend a fair bit of time on airplanes, but I've always found it uncomfortable, and I need to concentrate and put some deliberate effort in if I want to get my ears to pop (and I've damaged an eardrum before on a descent where I couldn't respond to a pressure change). Would I ever be able to skydive? I don't have a good idea of how much more dramatic of a pressure change it is than going down in an airplane, or a fast elevator.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

God Over Djinn posted:

I have a sinus condition that makes it hard (sometimes impossible) to clear my ears when the air pressure changes. I spend a fair bit of time on airplanes, but I've always found it uncomfortable, and I need to concentrate and put some deliberate effort in if I want to get my ears to pop (and I've damaged an eardrum before on a descent where I couldn't respond to a pressure change). Would I ever be able to skydive? I don't have a good idea of how much more dramatic of a pressure change it is than going down in an airplane, or a fast elevator.

Talk to your doctor about this. I wouldn't even ask a USPA instructor or anything, that is straight up a medical question and the only person you should trust is your doctor.

You will drop nearly 10k feet in a minute, it does mess with your ear pressure. I've always been able to use the valsalva maneuver and never have had an issue with pressurization (been flying in small planes since I was a kid, for what it's worth, so I have a lot of experience in airplanes)

andrew smash posted:

I did some very, very light reading on hand gliders and have watched some amazing youtube videos. I'd like to try it at some point in my life, but one expensive hobby at a time. It's pretty much a completely different sport, the only thing they really share in common is the use of a glider-craft, but comparing a hangglider to a parachute is like comparing a prop plane to a jet.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 12, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Greyish Orange posted:

Fascinating thread, thank you for this. It's encouraged me to look up costs in the UK!

This is a chance for me to plug my friend's company: http://www.absoluteskydiving.com/

Nigel is a first rate skydiver and an excellent instructor. He's also based in Spain, so it would be require a holiday, but you'd have a better chance of completing it in short order. Folks I know who have tried to do it in the UK have had spotty luck because of weather holds, and can end up taking months to get through AFF. It's a lot of money up front when paying per AFF level in the UK is more cost effective, but if you choose the right time period to go to Spain you can knock out both your AFF and your console jumps in a week and walk away fully licensed. (I know a lot of UK Skydivers who did their courses at Empuriabrava, Seville or Madrid for that reason).

mitztronic posted:

Shouldnt you wait until a minimum of 40-70 jumps before getting your own rig? even if its used, isnt it a bit soon to be going all in? that is what my DZ recommended to me anyways. Everyone has different income levels they can spend on this, so that changes it significantly

It depends on your disposable income. But yeah, most people recommend waiting at least 50 jumps. I got mine at 100, about 6 months after I started. I'd already been jumping a 190 for 30-40 jumps by the time I got it. I'm already looking at downsizing to a 170 by this summer.

It's easy to get starry-eyed when you've just started, but early on you really should be patient because it's a lot of money and while you will be able to sell it to other starry-eyed new jumpers, you don't want to shell out thousands of dollars for a rig that you'll end up selling less than a hundred jumps later. I would say that unless your home DZ has really crappy rental gear, look at the cost of renting vs. depreciation of your gear before you buy something that you'll just get rid of.

Here's the thing: You don't know what you don't know (And unless we've seen you jump, we don't either). You may end up buying a rig that's great for you at 25, 35, or 50 jumps, but your experience and expectations can change in as little as ten jumps.

I was on a Navigator 240 for 20 jumps, then a 220 for about 30, then a 210 for about 10 jumps, a 200 for about 15 jumps (with odd days on a 260 and a 230), and finally onto a 190 (wingload of 1.15). Each time I stepped down, I was sure that's where I would stay for a long time, so I started looking at gear for that size of chute.

The advice I got when I started looking was to wait until I was on a Wing-load of between 1.0 and 1.2 before buying my own rig, so I will echo that here.

Wait until you've taken a dedicated canopy course and ask your instructor for advice before you consider buying gear. We're all starry-eyed and excited when we start, so we've all felt what you're feeling. If you must spend money on something other than rental gear and jump tickets; buy your own helmet, jumpsuit, altimeters, gloves and goggles before you buy your rig.

When you do eventually buy your rig, don't buy anything more than 15 years old, no matter how awesome they tell you it is. Also, when you buy a container, look at longevity, each container will take ~3 sizes of 9 cell ZP canopy. Buy something that will take the canopy you're on and still give you room to downsize once or twice.

mitztronic posted:

By the way, this is what it's all about

Haha, look at that grin! That's what it's all about!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Trembley / My Q-Face: Have either of you HALO jumped? There's a dz near me that offers them about once a month, so I'm planning on going in August or September.

I've jumped from ~16.5k, but never done HALO. I imagine doing it with a Wingsuit would add a whole different dimension to it, but I'm not a wingsuiter.

Tremblay posted:

I might have the opportunity to do 35 or 40k in the next couple weeks. Still waiting to hear. My arms are gonna be shot after that wingsuit flight.

Bring Video!

quote:

Thirding that, the Skyvan is an awesome plane to jump from. I'm missing a nearby Pink Boogie because I have to work this weekend (and also because I had a reserve ride a few weekends ago and my rig is with my rigger), or I'd be jumping from The Pink right now!

Tremblay posted:

"Common" wisdom in the sport to have fairly identically sized reserve and main canopies. I personally think this is poo poo. I like having the biggest reserve I can in my container.

I agree with this. I have an Optimum 176 in my rig. My main is a hybrid 190, but my container will take down to a 135 ZP. Supposedly I can even put a Velo 120 or a Nano 115 in it. I intend to keep this reserve until it wears out, no matter how much I downsize my main.

Speaking of... Trust your equipment and practice your emergency procedures!

andrew smash posted:

I've never been gliding. There's a Glider field not far from my home DZ, and I've seen gliders, para-gliders and hang-gliders in the sky at the same time as us. I've seen a few bust NOTAMs and overfly our landing area trying to get updrafts. Kind of put a bad taste in my mouth to see one coming at me while I was in freefall. :supaburn: (At least it wasn't a Jumbo Jet on my AFF!)

Having said that, we're all lovers of the sky, so what's your question?

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 15, 2014

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

My Q-Face posted:

(At least it wasn't a Jumbo Jet on my AFF!)

Did that actually happen to someone during AFF? :stare:

Puddums
Jul 3, 2013
heh, D-bag. :hfive:

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

What are the oxygen levels like during the jump? I've suffered from aneamia so wondering if that would effect things at all.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Thrasophius posted:

What are the oxygen levels like during the jump? I've suffered from aneamia so wondering if that would effect things at all.

I've only jumped once (from 10,500 feet/about 3200m) but you can tell that the air gets thin. It's not difficult to breathe or anything, but it's definitely noticeable. For anemia or something like that, I would ask your doctor- it would not be good to pass out on the way up (or on the way down!).

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Luneshot posted:

I've only jumped once (from 10,500 feet/about 3200m) but you can tell that the air gets thin. It's not difficult to breathe or anything, but it's definitely noticeable. For anemia or something like that, I would ask your doctor- it would not be good to pass out on the way up (or on the way down!).

Thankfully I'm not aneamic for the time being but my Iron levels do drop periodically. I'll probably get a blood test before I plan a jump make sure things are ok in that department because if the airs noticeably thinner then I'm not going to risk it.

What sort of heights are we talking where oxygen equipment is required?

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

It depends on where you jump from. I started jumping in Colorado and could only go to about 10000 or so (although all my jumps there were at 4500ft) before needing oxygen tanks. (I've never jumped oxygen before, though)

In FL though where I've done most of my jumps, you can go pretty high without needing O2. (13500 is standard)

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DreadNite posted:

It depends on where you jump from. I started jumping in Colorado and could only go to about 10000 or so (although all my jumps there were at 4500ft) before needing oxygen tanks. (I've never jumped oxygen before, though)

In FL though where I've done most of my jumps, you can go pretty high without needing O2. (13500 is standard)

Oh so oxygen requirements depend on location got it.

What happens if, as mentioned in the OP, you end up with your main and reserve chute out at once, whats the usual course of action in that situation?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Thrasophius posted:

What happens if, as mentioned in the OP, you end up with your main and reserve chute out at once, whats the usual course of action in that situation?

It depends on how they are flying and if you can see sky between them. I don't want to get into all the possible scenarios and what you do, but to answer your question well enough if there is a gap between the two parachutes you may want to release your main. You DO NOT want to release your main unless you are completely sure it will break free without tangling with your reserve, resulting in your death.

In more cases than not, you can land a dual chute, even without control ability because there is enough surface area above your head that your descent won't break your legs.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

mitztronic posted:

It depends on how they are flying and if you can see sky between them. I don't want to get into all the possible scenarios and what you do, but to answer your question well enough if there is a gap between the two parachutes you may want to release your main. You DO NOT want to release your main unless you are completely sure it will break free without tangling with your reserve, resulting in your death.

In more cases than not, you can land a dual chute, even without control ability because there is enough surface area above your head that your descent won't break your legs.

How easy is it to release a main by accident? I mean it has to be easy to release in case of emergency but does that make it easy to accidentally throw off your main chute?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Thrasophius posted:

How easy is it to release a main by accident?

Oops just realized I used the wrong term, I should have said 'cutaway', because release is what you do during deployment. But moving on:

By accident? not really likely/possible, you have a pull a fairly secured handle. As always, if your gear isn't in order it can indeed happen, but that's why you always check your gear.

I've never heard of this happening but I'm sure it has at some point in the past.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

mitztronic posted:

Oops just realized I used the wrong term, I should have said 'cutaway', because release is what you do during deployment. But moving on:

By accident? not really likely/possible, you have a pull a fairly secured handle. As always, if your gear isn't in order it can indeed happen, but that's why you always check your gear.

I've never heard of this happening but I'm sure it has at some point in the past.

Ah that's good to hear because knowing my luck I'd be the unlucky sod that releases his main and reserve. Sky diving has always been a pipe-dream of mine but reading through the thread with all this information I think I'll go give it a shot once I have some funds behind me.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

Ah that's good to hear because knowing my luck I'd be the unlucky sod that releases his main and reserve. Sky diving has always been a pipe-dream of mine but reading through the thread with all this information I think I'll go give it a shot once I have some funds behind me.

Unless you have a weird malfunction, it's pretty hard to release your reserve and main at the same time. Lots (if not all) of parachutes are rigged so that when you pull your reserve, your main gets cutaway. That's why you have a cutaway handle, then your reserve handle to follow. You'd have to pull your main, then reserve (because something was going wrong ofc) without pulling the fat red handle on your right first.

But to be honest, flying two parachutes isn't nearly as bad as some malfunctions. Just like mitz said above, you've got so much surface area that you'll float down to safety.. Miss the dropzone? Who cares, just don't hit water/powerlines/buildings/trees and you're golden! You've got two loving parachutes open for God sakes, the workers at the DZ are going to send a truck out to find your rear end anyways.

Now if you've got a streamer, bag-lock, or horseshoe... That's when the poo poo button comes out after about three or so seconds of not being able to fix it. Cutaway, Reserve, and you're good. (Hopefully you can find your main intact, because they're not cheap)

DreadNite fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 18, 2014

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

If anyone is near Hollister, CA, I'll be jumping at the DZ there this Saturday and Sunday trying to finish the last 3 jumps for my A license if you want to have a mini-Goon boogie or something. :haw:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Mux posted:

Did that actually happen to someone during AFF? :stare:

It did. I think the student was completely unaware, but the instructors and the camera guy sure saw it. I will try to find the video when I get a decent internet connection.

Although it probably won't pull on its own, It's actually quite easy to accidentally pull the cutaway handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwc4oHB0RS0&app=desktop

I may be the odd guy out, having only jumped in Europe, but I've never heard the term release used before deployment or after. You deploy your chute or you cut away.

Thrasophius posted:

Before I think you used it to mean cut-away? For what it's worth, you can't cut away your reserve ;)

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 21, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

I'm anemic and regularly jump @ 14.5k, I've never had any oxygen difficulties. My dz is @ an elevation of 756 ft.

haha him sticking his tongue out until he realizes what happen and his immediate facial reaction is amazing

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Before I think you used it to mean cut-away? For what it's worth, you can't cut away your reserve ;)

Well that's good to hear at least that stops my concerns about being the unlucky one haha. That video is exactly what I was afraid of happening to me but if you can't cut away the reserve then that's good.

I'm anemic and regularly jump @ 14.5k, I've never had any oxygen difficulties. My dz is @ an elevation of 756 ft.

I'll still get the doctors opinion to be safe but it's nice knowing that there are people with aneamia that do jump.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Is it possible to gain altitude while under the canopy if you fly into a thermal or is the glide ratio to poor for that to work?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

DSauer posted:

Is it possible to gain altitude while under the canopy if you fly into a thermal or is the glide ratio to poor for that to work?

It is absolutely possible. It depends on the size of the canopy, the wingload and the strength of the thermal. In some places the heat can produce thermals which can do it, people have caught these updrafts and gained 500+ feet. Also, certain types of clouds produce what's called Cloud Suck, which is the effect of updrafts going at upwards of 1000 feet per minute through the cloud, although you shouldn't be jumping anywhere near these kinds of clouds/conditions.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

DSauer posted:

Yes totally possible! But this is also why you usually don't jump when the winds are above a certain speed at high altitudes (Besides getting carried away from the DZ!). On some of my first jumps I remember hitting a few thermals and staying at the same altitude for a few minutes before finally coming down. (This was before I realized 360s would have fixed the problem... But I wasn't complaining :cheeky:)

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Dropping through a cloud is the coolest thing I have ever done. It was around 8k up, fell through it in about 3 seconds. Everything was grey - I could see my arms and that was about it. Get through it and I realize my entire body is damp. It was almost as awesome as my first jump.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Dropping through a cloud is the coolest thing I have ever done. It was around 8k up, fell through it in about 3 seconds. Everything was grey - I could see my arms and that was about it. Get through it and I realize my entire body is damp. It was almost as awesome as my first jump.

Nice! What number jump was that for you? The first cloud I ever jumped through, it was around the pull altitude and I was freaking out about whether or not to pull above, inside or below it.. (I didn't know how deep the cloud was). So I ended up pulling inside it, which can be pretty dangerous, but it turned out ok..

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

When dropping through the clouds do you not end up sopping wet and freezing cold from the air rushing past?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

DreadNite posted:

Nice! What number jump was that for you? The first cloud I ever jumped through, it was around the pull altitude and I was freaking out about whether or not to pull above, inside or below it.. (I didn't know how deep the cloud was). So I ended up pulling inside it, which can be pretty dangerous, but it turned out ok..

I think this was during my 6th AFF Jump.

Thrasophius posted:

When dropping through the clouds do you not end up sopping wet and freezing cold from the air rushing past?

I was just damp / moist across my entire body, but yes I was also loving freezing afterwards. Warmed up after I was under canopy though.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Thrasophius posted:

Not sopping wet, but definitely cold. Especially in the winter time. The last time I jumped in a cloud, I came out with white spots of ice all over the front of my jumpsuit. I've had a fair few cloud jumps, it was cool the first few times, but after falling through 2000 meters of complete white-out cloud once though, I'd just as soon avoid it in the future.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

I think this was during my 6th AFF Jump.

I was just damp / moist across my entire body, but yes I was also loving freezing afterwards. Warmed up after I was under canopy though.

My Q-Face posted:

Not sopping wet, but definitely cold. Especially in the winter time. The last time I jumped in a cloud, I came out with white spots of ice all over the front of my jumpsuit. I've had a fair few cloud jumps, it was cool the first few times, but after falling through 2000 meters of complete white-out cloud once though, I'd just as soon avoid it in the future.

What are the kind of conditions where you'd say "gently caress that" to going on a jump? For example is there a wind speed threshold where you would cancel a jump?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

What are the kind of conditions where you'd say "gently caress that" to going on a jump? For example is there a wind speed threshold where you would cancel a jump?

AFF & Class A & B License are restricted to 15mph winds, not sure about Class C, D & E License. Complete cloud coverage & rain also puts jumps on hold.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

Well if you think about it this way, standard AFF parachutes fly at about 20mph, and you want to land as nicely and smoothly possible. If you've got winds upwards of 20-25mph (or even gusts that large) and you find yourself having to land downwind for some crazy reason, you're going to be landing at about 45mph... Can you outrun that? :D

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DreadNite posted:

you're going to be landing at about 45mph... Can you outrun that? :D

Very true I never thought of it that way. drat just thinking about it that's pretty mild weather. So you have to pretty much look for the perfect sunny clear sky day for a jump then?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Thrasophius posted:

Very true I never thought of it that way. drat just thinking about it that's pretty mild weather. So you have to pretty much look for the perfect sunny clear sky day for a jump then?

Not at all. Personally, I don't jump on days when the air is turbulent. Steady winds are a non-issue if you're in control of your situation. Ever watch the tree tops? If they are kinda shaking around I don't jump or if I see other jumpers' canopies shaking around and flexing. Most DZs will have wind speed limits and ground everyone based on wind speed and skill level.

I've seen turbulent air slam jumpers into the ground far too many times. Falling 20 feet to the ground takes the fun out of jumping.

Jumping "unintentionally" through clouds is awesome. During days with a heavy and solid cloud layer, we will resort to doing "hop 'n pops" from just under the cloud base. Well, as long as we can get above minimum opening altitude.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

SinJin posted:

Not at all. Personally, I don't jump on days when the air is turbulent. Steady winds are a non-issue if you're in control of your situation. Ever watch the tree tops? If they are kinda shaking around I don't jump or if I see other jumpers' canopies shaking around and flexing. Most DZs will have wind speed limits and ground everyone based on wind speed and skill level.

I've seen turbulent air slam jumpers into the ground far too many times. Falling 20 feet to the ground takes the fun out of jumping.

Jumping "unintentionally" through clouds is awesome. During days with a heavy and solid cloud layer, we will resort to doing "hop 'n pops" from just under the cloud base. Well, as long as we can get above minimum opening altitude.

I presume a hop 'n pop is opening the chute once you clear the clouds? I see, so steady weather isn't as much of a problem given you have the training it's when it's more sporadic like wind gusts that are the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Thrasophius posted:

Normal winds above 20kts are generally not fun, I've caught a 25kt+ tail wind which sucked. I opened about 600m west of the landing area and in the process of doing post-opening housekeeping (that is; stowing the slider, loosening the chest strap, leaning back and sitting in the leg-straps, and pulling the brakes) which took less than 30 seconds, I was 400m east of it. I was blown a full kilometer from my opening point before I even had full control of the canopy. I couldn't make any headway to get back to the holding area, and had to fly a bad pattern, entering my cross-wind leg early and at an angle. Fortunately the winds died at 150 feet, so I was able to make it, but I almost didn't.

Intermittent but strong gusting winds are really bad, winds that are not stable from a single direction on the ground are bad, winds that shift dramatically at different altitudes can be a pain if you don't spot properly for them, really strong winds at higher altitudes (like, if you can see the clouds at 10000+ moving fairly quickly), cloud ceilings below 2000 ft, any real possibility of precipitation, complete cloud cover where you can't see any blue (unless the clouds are fairly stationary and above 8000ft for hop-and-pops, and 15000ft for freefall jumps).

Best bet is if your DZ has on-the-ball manifest staff, they'll tell you when conditions are good, marginal, or poor. Some places put a minimum jump limit on with certain conditions. When you have low numbers, it sucks to watch people with higher numbers going. I know when I had <50 jumps, I was always anxious for the limits to come off and wanted to get enough jumps to jump despite the limits. Once I surpassed the 50 and 100 jump limits, I realized that if a 100+ limit was thrown on, I wasn't so anxious to get into the air anymore.

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

A Hop-and-Pop is also called a "clear and pull", essentially deploying your main as soon as you've cleared the aircraft. It's used for emergency bail-out practice at altitudes under 5000ft, or for Canopy Piloting exercises.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 23, 2014

• Locked thread