Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Normal winds above 20kts are generally not fun, I've caught a 25kt+ tail wind which sucked. I opened about 600m west of the landing area and in the process of doing post-opening housekeeping (that is; stowing the slider, loosening the chest strap, leaning back and sitting in the leg-straps, and pulling the brakes) which took less than 30 seconds, I was 400m east of it. I was blown a full kilometer from my opening point before I even had full control of the canopy. I couldn't make any headway to get back to the holding area, and had to fly a bad pattern, entering my cross-wind leg early and at an angle. Fortunately the winds died at 150 feet, so I was able to make it, but I almost didn't.

Intermittent but strong gusting winds are really bad, winds that are not stable from a single direction on the ground are bad, winds that shift dramatically at different altitudes can be a pain if you don't spot properly for them, really strong winds at higher altitudes (like, if you can see the clouds at 10000+ moving fairly quickly), cloud ceilings below 2000 ft, any real possibility of precipitation, complete cloud cover where you can't see any blue (unless the clouds are fairly stationary and above 8000ft for hop-and-pops, and 15000ft for freefall jumps).

Best bet is if your DZ has on-the-ball manifest staff, they'll tell you when conditions are good, marginal, or poor. Some places put a minimum jump limit on with certain conditions. When you have low numbers, it sucks to watch people with higher numbers going. I know when I had <50 jumps, I was always anxious for the limits to come off and wanted to get enough jumps to jump despite the limits. Once I surpassed the 50 and 100 jump limits, I realized that if a 100+ limit was thrown on, I wasn't so anxious to get into the air anymore.

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

A Hop-and-Pop is also called a "clear and pull", essentially deploying your main as soon as you've cleared the aircraft. It's used for emergency bail-out practice at altitudes under 5000ft, or for Canopy Piloting exercises.

Ah so that's a hop 'n pop thanks. You mentioned having to spot winds shifting dramatically at different altitudes how do you go about that? Do you have to observe the cloud movement like you said you do sometimes at 10000+. What kind of areas do you generally jump in? I understand it's obviously going to be fields but does the area have to have a minimum space to allow for errors/emergencies like when you where blown 1km off the landing point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Thrasophius posted:

Ah so that's a hop 'n pop thanks. You mentioned having to spot winds shifting dramatically at different altitudes how do you go about that? Do you have to observe the cloud movement like you said you do sometimes at 10000+. What kind of areas do you generally jump in? I understand it's obviously going to be fields but does the area have to have a minimum space to allow for errors/emergencies like when you where blown 1km off the landing point.

The DZs I've been to usually are in more remote rural areas with plenty of out-landing areas available. Not always, but usually. Empuriabrava Spain and Alvor Portugal in particular are both adjacent to vacation towns and are fairly built up, but they still have good out landing areas. In every case, your DZ should have maps and satellite views of the DZ with landing areas and hazards marked, along with possible out-landing areas marked. Always get a DZ brief from the S&TA or the DZO before you start jumping there. When I get a chance, I'll find and post sat views of the different geography of the DZs I've jumped at.

You can learn to spot things that way, so if you're staying near the DZ, you can decide for yourself whether to bother going down, but generally a decent DZ will be tracking winds using instruments on the aircraft, weather stations and ATC reports, so you can usually check with them. If things look borderline or questionable, they might have the pilot take a test run before letting anyone but the most experienced TMs go.

Generally the winds changing direction above 5000ft isn't an issue you need to worry about, it more affects how the pilot will fly the jump-run, and possibly the exit separation between jumpers.

It's only when it's far more severe at exit altitude than opening that it gets hairy. Even then, a good check before takeoff, a good spot before exit and situational awareness in freefall will keep you from getting too screwed up. Like I said, the DZ will monitor that stuff and usually won't fly if things are too hairy.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 3, 2014

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

That's really well said. I've never heard that before, I like it.

My Q-Face posted:

You can learn to spot things that way, so if you're staying near the DZ, you can decide for yourself whether to bother going down

If you look up in the sky and you see either 1) 100% cloud cover or 2) 0% cloud cover, the conditions at your local DZ probably aren't very good. When I started jumping I would always fly down to the DZ when I saw blue sky only to realize there's no clouds because the 20+ mph winds all blew them away. Scattered clouds is usually a good indication that you may have a decent day to jump.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

DreadNite posted:

Unless you have a weird malfunction, it's pretty hard to release your reserve and main at the same time. Lots (if not all) of parachutes are rigged so that when you pull your reserve, your main gets cutaway. That's why you have a cutaway handle, then your reserve handle to follow. You'd have to pull your main, then reserve (because something was going wrong ofc) without pulling the fat red handle on your right first.

This is called an SOS setup and it isn't common. Some dropzones use this setup on student gear, but not all. I've never seen a licensed jumper with one, nor would I ever want to jump one.

Thrasophius posted:

Oh so oxygen requirements depend on location got it.

What happens if, as mentioned in the OP, you end up with your main and reserve chute out at once, whats the usual course of action in that situation?

It depends on altitude MSL (mean sea level). We set our altimeters to AGL (0 == you are on mother earth). O2 is required from 16k MSL iirc. If you are a smoker or in poor health you might get hypoxic lower than that.

2 outs are a long discussion, for now. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thrasophius posted:

What are the kind of conditions where you'd say "gently caress that" to going on a jump? For example is there a wind speed threshold where you would cancel a jump?

High ground winds, extremely shifting ground winds (heading shifting rapidly), turbulence, hung over, tired, dehydrated, etc. There are conditions that I'm comfortable jumping in skill wise, but won't. It just isn't worth the increased risk of injury.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

When it comes to the jump being cancelled what happens then is your money held by the company and the jump set for another date or do you get a refund to come back in your own time?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Thrasophius posted:

When it comes to the jump being cancelled what happens then is your money held by the company and the jump set for another date or do you get a refund to come back in your own time?

Basically yes. Licensed jumpers don't usually have to "schedule" jumps like you might as a student or when doing a tandem. I usually show up, check my gear and then ask for a slot on the next plane taking off. I've done this up to 5 mins before it takes off. Most dropzones you'll have an account that either you can prefund, so they'll just deduct the cost of the jump ticket from that pool of money. You can also usually leave a credit card with the office staff and they'll charge your card for all of your jumps at the end of the day.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, there's a skydiving thread again.

I made an attempt at training last year. Didn't do too hot. 5 AFF jumps, 9 all told when you count tandems. I could not figure out how to relax in free fall. I wound up separating my shoulder during opening (maybe, it could have happened on exit) on that last jump. That was in September, and while my shoulder is recovered I've put on too much weight over the holidays to get back into it right away.

Of course I'm not sure if my shoulder injury completely disqualifies me from trying to do AFF again. I still have a bit of tightness when my arm is where it would be in box-man flight.

Any advice for overcoming the panic of free fall and relaxing in the sky? Ways to offset the half-hour-long trip to altitude where I tend to psych myself out?

Anyway, I'm the guy who failed at the sport and didn't have the good sense to die in the process. Feel free to laugh at me.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

IMJack posted:

Anyway, I'm the guy who failed at the sport and didn't have the good sense to die in the process. Feel free to laugh at me.

You have to think of it this way. You're the guy who actually had the balls to give it a shot in the first place. As Arnold Schwarzenegger said "don't be afraid to fail, you can't always win but don't be afraid of making decisions".

What is the maximum weight you are allowed to be before they say you're too heavy to go on a jump?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

IMJack posted:

Oh hey, there's a skydiving thread again.

I made an attempt at training last year. Didn't do too hot. 5 AFF jumps, 9 all told when you count tandems. I could not figure out how to relax in free fall. I wound up separating my shoulder during opening (maybe, it could have happened on exit) on that last jump. That was in September, and while my shoulder is recovered I've put on too much weight over the holidays to get back into it right away.

Of course I'm not sure if my shoulder injury completely disqualifies me from trying to do AFF again. I still have a bit of tightness when my arm is where it would be in box-man flight.

Any advice for overcoming the panic of free fall and relaxing in the sky? Ways to offset the half-hour-long trip to altitude where I tend to psych myself out?

For me it was remembering to smile, and breathe. If there is a tunnel near you that might help a bit. You're going to be scared, the trick is to be able to calm yourself and/or put it aside. Until I hit 100 or so jumps I still had butterflies first jump of the day. If you can't get past it, then ok. How did you do under canopy? If you did ok with that, then finding a drop zone that does static line training might be a better option for you than AFF.

Your shoulder injury doesn't automatically disqualify you. Yoga is a hug help for flexibility. It's definitely something you need to talk over with your instructors though. Which arm?

Thrasophius posted:

You have to think of it this way. You're the guy who actually had the balls to give it a shot in the first place. As Arnold Schwarzenegger said "don't be afraid to fail, you can't always win but don't be afraid of making decisions".

What is the maximum weight you are allowed to be before they say you're too heavy to go on a jump?

Max weight for students is going to depend on the dropzone and what they have for gear. No one likes putting students out first go at higher than like a .8 wing loading.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Tremblay posted:

For me it was remembering to smile, and breathe. If there is a tunnel near you that might help a bit. You're going to be scared, the trick is to be able to calm yourself and/or put it aside. Until I hit 100 or so jumps I still had butterflies first jump of the day. If you can't get past it, then ok. How did you do under canopy? If you did ok with that, then finding a drop zone that does static line training might be a better option for you than AFF.

Your shoulder injury doesn't automatically disqualify you. Yoga is a hug help for flexibility. It's definitely something you need to talk over with your instructors though. Which arm?
My right arm. There is a chance I pulled out out of socket with my idiot strength when I reached for my handle that last time.

I think I did okay under canopy. I could fly a decent pattern, and I managed one stand-up landing out of five attempts. Especially on that last jump with my shoulder not working, I am drat proud I managed to fly the pattern and land in the DZ using only elbow and wrist strength in my right arm. Granted I slid in, and I think I broke my tailbone, but I was able to stand up and walk back to the DZ building on my own.

The biggest student rig my DZ has is a 260. Too small for my current weight. At least the harness fits my height; the first two AFF jumps I made, I was in a 240 with a harness one size to small for me. That sucked.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

IMJack posted:

My right arm. There is a chance I pulled out out of socket with my idiot strength when I reached for my handle that last time.

I think I did okay under canopy. I could fly a decent pattern, and I managed one stand-up landing out of five attempts. Especially on that last jump with my shoulder not working, I am drat proud I managed to fly the pattern and land in the DZ using only elbow and wrist strength in my right arm. Granted I slid in, and I think I broke my tailbone, but I was able to stand up and walk back to the DZ building on my own.

The biggest student rig my DZ has is a 260. Too small for my current weight. At least the harness fits my height; the first two AFF jumps I made, I was in a 240 with a harness one size to small for me. That sucked.

Ouch.

I don't think you are out of the running. I know a girl who jumps pretty regular and has issues with her right shoulder. She has to be a little careful and wear a brace. So you haven't said anything I don't believe you can't overcome.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tremblay posted:

Max weight for students is going to depend on the dropzone and what they have for gear. No one likes putting students out first go at higher than like a .8 wing loading.

The Max single canopy size is 300 sq.ft, which puts a 260 lbs. jumper with 40 pounds of gear (and the larger rigs weigh probably 30-35 lbs alone) at a wing load of 1. I think 250 might be the max for beginners, but I'm not entirely sure.

IMJack posted:

No laughing here. You tried and want to try again. Heck, if you'd tried it once and decided it wasn't for you, few people would laugh. If you bought all your kit brand new before you even got your license, and then gave up the sport a few jumps later, everyone might laugh, but then you deserve it.

Anyway, you hurt yourself, you haven't failed at the sport.

Look around at the other people during the ride to altitude and force yourself to smile at them. Even if it's the most awkwardly forced smile ever. Everyone will understand why, and most will smile back or make funny faces, or just close their eyes and go back to listening their music. At some point, forcing yourself to smile, try to think of something really funny and you'll find yourself relaxing a bit. It doesn't necessarily work thinking of something funny without first forcing the smile.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

My Q-Face posted:

The Max single canopy size is 300 sq.ft, which puts a 260 lbs. jumper with 40 pounds of gear (and the larger rigs weigh probably 30-35 lbs alone) at a wing load of 1. I think 250 might be the max for beginners, but I'm not entirely sure.

Eh, I know we have a rig kicking around with (iirc) a firebolt 330. Really depends.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Look around at the other people during the ride to altitude and force yourself to smile at them. Even if it's the most awkwardly forced smile ever. Everyone will understand why, and most will smile back or make funny faces, or just close their eyes and go back to listening their music. At some point, forcing yourself to smile, try to think of something really funny and you'll find yourself relaxing a bit. It doesn't necessarily work thinking of something funny without first forcing the smile.

This is probably the most accurate statement about getting rid of butterflies that i've ever heard.

Just remembering this about the rides to altitude make me want to get back into jumping so bad. Things like this prove it's an exhilarating experience that not many people share.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Wind-noise:

Do you wear ear-plugs or listen to music or anything?

Funny story when I did my tandem for my 24th birthday and I have stretched lobes. I forgot to take them out before the jump just in case they were blown out instead, so the entire freefall I had this odd flapping noise in my ears, and this insistent tapping on both sides of my head as the plugs slapped into me constantly. It was a little distracting.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

crowtribe posted:

Wind-noise:

Funny story when I did my tandem for my 24th birthday and I have stretched lobes. I forgot to take them out before the jump just in case they were blown out instead, so the entire freefall I had this odd flapping noise in my ears, and this insistent tapping on both sides of my head as the plugs slapped into me constantly. It was a little distracting.

Wear ear plugs on the plane, I take them out before exiting.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

crowtribe posted:

I've never worn them, but I learned to leave my helmet on until the last few thousand feet. I only take it off to put my goggles on at the two minute call. It's tight fitting enough to block out the engine noise.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

I've never worn them, but I learned to leave my helmet on until the last few thousand feet. I only take it off to put my goggles on at the two minute call. It's tight fitting enough to block out the engine noise.

How often do you find your ears popping because of the rapid descent or do you prepare for that somehow?

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

How often do you find your ears popping because of the rapid descent or do you prepare for that somehow?

Some people's ears pop a lot when skydiving and some don't. For me, it has only happened a couple times and I just cleared it like you would an airplane descent or underwater equalize.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
re: ear pressurization

You learn this during pilot training: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

I do it after I'm under canopy

re: max wind conditions

the dropzone I did my AFF at shuts down the entire airport for a minimum 1 hour at 25 MPH

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Thrasophius posted:

I occasionally feel it on the climb if I had a stuffy nose that morning, and I've definitely had my ears get clogged up during/after the jump, but I've never had them pop during the descent. I don't know if it's because of something I've done unconsciously while I'm occupied with other things in freefall, but usually I don't realize it until I'm on the ground.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Did my first *real* solo on Friday @ Hollister. Did two more after that.

The third jump was the last load of the day, right around sunset. Decided to do a high pull (8000). Because it was the last load the pilot went a little above 16,000, it was definitly below freezing. You could tell the oxygen was starting to get a tiny bit thing, I've never been able to see my own breath so clearly. I didnt have any gloves on and thought I was going to freeze into a brick during freefall.

Pulled at 8, had a toggle line hosed up with some of the lines on my canopy (first malfunction I've had like that), made sure I had control and then was able to fix it after a minute or so, was a really weird twist. Def due to the pack job.

Sunset high pulls though. Extremely beautiful. Recommend.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
http://www.skydivemag.com/article/fly-it-forward

Pretty cool stuff. Today may have been the first day they ran the full 222-way for the world record, but they haven't posted about it yet.

Have any of you been a part of big-ways, 50+? Stories!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

DreadNite posted:

http://www.skydivemag.com/article/fly-it-forward

Pretty cool stuff. Today may have been the first day they ran the full 222-way for the world record, but they haven't posted about it yet.

Have any of you been a part of big-ways, 50+? Stories!

No, but one of my Irish drinking buddies is part of that one. I've done two 6-ways and neither went very well.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

mitztronic posted:

Sunset high pulls though. Extremely beautiful. Recommend.

yup!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Back in the air. So six weeks ago, in late February,I managed to have a reserve ride and lost my freebag. Since it was down anyway, I had my rigger do a reline on my main while waiting for the new parts to come in, so it was like jumping all new equipment when this weekend finally rolled around. Many of the DZs in Germany are opening up to go full time again,and for many, the season kickoff was this weekend. I have to say, between the reserve ride and the long wait I definitely had a return of the fear when it came time to jump again. Five jumps on new lines later, and I was ready to go with other people again, and it's like the reserve ride never even happened.

I did manage to lose my slide catcher mid jump though...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dumb question time:

What happens in the extremely unlikely even you get a bird caught in your chute? Could/would it ever happen?

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010

crowtribe posted:

Dumb question time:

What happens in the extremely unlikely even you get a bird caught in your chute? Could/would it ever happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9R8aChRUU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

What piece of equipment is it that's beeping in the beginning of the video?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Thrasophius posted:

What piece of equipment is it that's beeping in the beginning of the video?

Don't know. I'd say it was an audible altimeter, but that's a paraglider, not a parachutist. Slightly different dynamics going on, not the least of which is his forward speed and descent rate aren't very high. For what it's worth -and I'm not saying it couldn't happen- the sound of a chute opening is quite loud, and the wind-noise of it cutting through the air is more than a paraglider's, so I would imagine it warns birds off a lot better than floaty there. Would not like to find out though.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Sounds like a variometer, which is basically used to measure vertical speed- it's used for gliders to find lift.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

I think that bird has seen better days... Sweet video link.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Got my A-License last weekend. :woop:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Mux posted:

Got my A-License last weekend. :woop:

Excellent! :hfive: http://youtu.be/oiXaT_1I-vw

Great work. If you got a copy of the video feel free to share!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

My Q-Face posted:

In every case, your DZ should have maps and satellite views of the DZ with landing areas and hazards marked, along with possible out-landing areas marked. When I get a chance, I'll find and post sat views of the different geography of the DZs I've jumped at.

To talk about Spotting your jump and planning your approach, and because I finally got around to it, here are some sat views of the DZs I've jumped at with landing areas marked. Some are deceptive, what looks green and flat from the sky could end up being hedges, deep corn, or worse: an Orchard with wires strung up everywhere that you can't see until you have no other outs.

Speaking from experience, I had to do a Tony Jaa/Jackie Chan through a small gap in some 7 foot high apple trees held up with fence wires about three feet apart to keep from being decapitated once. That could have been a bad bad day.

If you don't know the area but have to put down, it's best to look for brown earth so you know it's not potentially hazardous vegetation.

So here are the DZs I've jumped at, landing areas are marked in Orange. The first few are the ones in the more built-up areas.

Empuriabrava, one of the best in Europe:

To give you an idea, every time you see a straight green line on one of the fields around there, it's a fence line or a tree line, or both. There are apple orchards and olive orchards and horse paddocks everywhere.

But this is what it looks like from higher up, so you can see the appeal of jumping there:

This is Zell Am See, which does offer Tandems from time to time, but doesn't really have Skydiving on a regular basis. Occasionally there will be a Pink Boogie here, with the Pink Skyvan coming down from Czech Republic.

Zell sits right in the middle of a valley, surrounded by several mountains which are approximately 3000 meters high, and is a very popular tourist destination in the Summer and Winter. The Airport sits just outside of the main town, but right in the middle of all of the mountains. It wouldn't take much to track from the release point into a very bad situation (And your Audible and AAD aren't going to pop based on altitude above ground level).

Having said that, it's amazing to be in freefall and be below the mountain tops, and to look out at the two minute call and still see mountains out of the windows of the plane.

To give you an idea of how built up it is:

The last of the built-up areas I've jumped was Skydive Algarve:

Algarve's landing areas are deceptively large, which is good because pretty much everything outside of this picture is built-up.

Most of the rest I've been to are fairly rural.

There's the Irish Parachute Club, with its massive Bog just over the trees from the landing area:

If you really wanted to go Bog hunting, you could probably find all kinds of helmets and cameras and other cut-away gear in there.

And in Germany in particular the DZs tend to be well removed from built-up areas:

This one is notable because it's one of the few that is open in the winter, but it's also where I had my Reserve Ride. What you can't see from this picture, is that outside of that one patch of trees, it's pretty much farm fields for miles and miles around. Guess where my reserve pilot chute and freebag went...

You also have a really nice view of the Alps from altitude.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone able to give any insight into the licensing system used in Australia? I'm struggling to find information on the Australian Parachute Federation website that outlines it clearly.

From what I can see, you do the AFF (1-9) for your A license, then complete your B-Rel (?) for your B license, then a Star Crest to jump with more than 10 people, but beyond that all I can see is a reference to licenses A, B, C, D, E, F and no other information on say, Wingsuit, Canopy-Relative or anything.

Is there an infographic anyone may be able to provide similar to the British system chart in the OP specific to Australia?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Is there any reason you choose a particular field to land in considering how many there are in one picture or is it simply a matter of permission? I assume you have a tracker on your reserve if you're having to try and find it from time to time?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Thrasophius posted:

Is there any reason you choose a particular field to land in considering how many there are in one picture or is it simply a matter of permission? I assume you have a tracker on your reserve if you're having to try and find it from time to time?

One field belongs to or has an agreement to be used by the DZ as the designated landing area. They are well marked with landing direction and wind direction indicators which you can see clearly from the sky before beginning your approach. They're also usually quite well maintained, flat and obstacle free. All jumpers use the same field with the same traffic pattern to ensure a safe approach and landing.

All of the other fields are potential out-landing areas in the event that you cannot make it back, but are not maintained for the purposes of landing a parachute, and as such may have uneven or hazardous terrain and have obstacles such as rocks, roots, hedges and gopher holes, which could cause injury on landing even if everything else goes right.

Realistically, you could choose any of them, provided that you are skilled enough to put your chute down safely in the available area. When you realize that you cannot safely make it back to the designated field, you make the decision for which alternate landing area you can safely get to with enough room to fly a safe approach and stick with that one. That's also a decision you need to make early, especially in the event of a bad spot (that is, the aircraft was too far away from the designated landing area when you exited, or you tracked way off course and did not open reasonably close to the holding area). You don't want to wait until you're at 1000 feet/300 meters to realize you cannot safely get back to the landing area.

You need to keep in mind the wind direction (which you would have checked before you went up), and which is the most free of obstacles such as fences or livestock, and consider that when choosing which landing area you can safely reach.

Legally, you have the right to land anywhere in an emergency, even on private property, because as an unpowered "aircraft" your first obligation is to land safely.

As to the tracker, I considered getting one of those flat gps tracking tags to mount on different parts of the rig, but the company could not guarantee that the tags would survive immersion in water, or being stored for long periods of time (six months or more) in a confined space without either the adhesive material or potential battery leakage affecting the parachute material or function. As much as I'd like to find my stuff if it got stolen or lost, I'd hate to have to pull my reserve handle only to find out mid-air that my reserve pilot chute had a chemical burn in it, or that the adhesive stuck parts of my reserve chute together and it won't open anymore.

crowtribe posted:

Is anyone able to give any insight into the licensing system used in Australia? I'm struggling to find information on the Australian Parachute Federation website that outlines it clearly.

From what I can see, you do the AFF (1-9) for your A license, then complete your B-Rel (?) for your B license, then a Star Crest to jump with more than 10 people, but beyond that all I can see is a reference to licenses A, B, C, D, E, F and no other information on say, Wingsuit, Canopy-Relative or anything.

Is there an infographic anyone may be able to provide similar to the British system chart in the OP specific to Australia?

I don't know a lot about it. All the few Aussie skydivers I know have either USPA or BPA licenses. I will try to find some detailed information for you.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 23, 2014

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

How often are you able to land in the designated field? It's all well and good saying here is where you should land, but with unpredictable factors like the wind I imagine it's easier said than done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Thrasophius posted:

How often are you able to land in the designated field? It's all well and good saying here is where you should land, but with unpredictable factors like the wind I imagine it's easier said than done.

The wind is usually very predictable, and it's actually quite easy: The pilot lines up the jump run over the holding area/landing area, so you're always jumping out almost right above where you're going to land. When there's more than a slight breeze, the pilot will adjust the jump run so that the wind carries you back to the landing area. For example, if the wind is coming from the west, he will drop you a bit further west. As the licensed parachutist, you have the final say in whether you're lined up properly and in the right spot, not the pilot.

Of all of the "out" landings I've had, only one was not self-induced. (And in the 60-odd jumps that I've had since taking a canopy piloting course, I've had no out landings. Even when I had to use my reserve, I was still able to get back to the student landing area pretty easily).

Of the 165-odd jumps I've done, I've only landed properly "out" twice. The first time (non-self-induced one) was because of an extra long run by the plane. Even that was a little bit my fault because I should have looked at the exit lights and done a spot check on the ground before jumping out, instead I just watched the guy before me go and then counted to ten. The second was during my canopy course and was because I was doing eyes-closed canopy work with my back to the wind and ended up over the next town before I realized I was drifting (Even then, I almost made it back). Other than that, I've had a fair few short or over-shoot landings at my regular DZ (the second-to-last picture with the arrow and the red/orange box), but in those cases I just ended up in the next field over to the designated LZ, not somewhere in the boonies.

• Locked thread