Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Finished my AFF training last weekend. It was a blast and probably the most fun I've ever had. Ever. Spending the entire weekend at the dropzone, and sleeping at the bunkhouse was probably the best decision I made. Being able to have access to talk with instructors and experienced skydivers all day long was awesome. Plus all the people I met were amazing people. I feel like my information retention was a lot higher than it would have been if I broke it up into several weekends. Here was my view of the California coast on my graduation jump:

EDIT: Oh also quick question. Say you own your own rig. How hard would it be to get it through security checks at an airport if you're traveling domestically/internationally?

Mux fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

mitztronic posted:

I did my AFF in Davis, CA at Skydance. The DZ in Hollister is half the distance as Skydance is, but I love it. I've heard the gear in Hollister isnt that good so I'm slightly nervous to jump there, just because I am so inexperienced I want a rig I can trust. I love the 240 I've been using at Skydance and it only has around 100 jumps.
Just out of curiosity, why do you think Hollister has bad gear? I'm not saying you're wrong in anyway, but I've made 22 jumps there, and haven't had any issues with gear. The containers are student containers, but I'm pretty sure they're all Infinity containers with a decent variety of canopy options including Sabres, Specters, etc. in a several different sizes starting at 265 going down to 135(iirc?). The catch is that my experience is a total of 22 jumps in the past 2 weeks. But if you gave more specifics as to why you think their "gear isn't that good", I might be able to give you honest, no bullshit answers on whether what you think/heard is true/false.

The thing that I trust the most are the instructors there. Most, if not all, are cream of the crop dudes who know what they're talking about. I've had a lot of QA sessions with them over the past few weekends. A lot of those talks had to do with gear in general, as well as the gear at the DZ. I'm really looking forward to getting my own rig eventually and not having to deal with those adjustable student containers anymore. Also, the other really cool part about Hollister is you can find an instructor that specializes in almost every discipline from swooping to base wingsuit proxying. You can see Scotty Bob and a few of the other instructors in this video. It's pretty cool to watch even if you don't end up wanting to jump there.

Mux fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 11, 2014

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

mitztronic posted:

Awesome, that makes me feel much better. I don't think that, in case it wasn't clear, it was second hand from someone at skydance that I trust. They hadn't actually ever jumped from Hollister themselves but had heard from an ex rigger from Hollister that their gear wasn't as in as good condition as skydance.

It is possible Hollister's gear isn't in "as good condition" as Davis', but that probably comes down to a really subjective definition of "good condition". I know they get inspected a lot. Actually, they just went in for inspection after yesterday's jumps. I can tell you that the rigs at Hollister definitely have more than 100 jumps compared to the 240 you're using at Davis. I know that Mako, the DZO, would probably have absolutely no issue with you checking out any rigs you might want to jump with before you even bought a jump ticket or rented gear. Also, don't pay attention to their Yelp reviews. They filtered out my review, as well as several others that I know for Hollister. Most are tandem reviews of impatient chucklefucks anyway. Yelp is poo poo and should have a Yelp entry that I can give a 1 star review to for being complete shitlords.

mitztronic posted:

Do you jump at Hollister? I want to get a few more jumps under my belt before trying a new DZ. Would be cool to meet up with a goon at Hollister so I'd know someone :) I live in the south bay and can't keep justifying driving 4 hours round trip up to Davis, as much as I love it.
Yes! I'm planning on jumping either this weekend or the next. I drive 2.5 hours one way to Hollister, and usually spend the weekend at the bunkhouse. Saturdays are usually their big fun jumper days, but it's not too hard to get on loads Friday-Sunday as long as they're not absurdly booked with tandems and AFF. Most of the dudes there are really cool too. I think that a big group of them are going on a road trip for a week or two, though. The DZO is awesome, and loves to swoop. It's really cool to watch him land.

I would love to meetup and Goondive from planes with you! I'll shoot you a PM. I think it would be really cool to eventually plan a Goon Boogie at some point in the future. :)

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

mitztronic posted:

I'm actually not too worried about Hollister. I just know Lodi is poo poo and I will NOT jump there without my own rig, so not for another year or two probably.

There are a few people I've talked to who worked or were skybums at Lodi for awhile, and all pretty much had the same thing to say about the place. It's essentially the wild west of skydiving, and you sure as hell better not piss off the owner. It's a good place to get a ton of cheap jumps in if that's what you need/want, but your safety is entirely your own responsibility. I was told not to jump there until I was experienced enough to know how to take care of myself in the sky, and be able to avoid/spot potential dangers from other jumpers.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

My Q-Face posted:

(At least it wasn't a Jumbo Jet on my AFF!)

Did that actually happen to someone during AFF? :stare:

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

If anyone is near Hollister, CA, I'll be jumping at the DZ there this Saturday and Sunday trying to finish the last 3 jumps for my A license if you want to have a mini-Goon boogie or something. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Got my A-License last weekend. :woop:

• Locked thread