Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

troubled teen posted:

Awesome. My avatar is actually me in muppet form skydiving. Submitted a picture of me from the first time I went into a thread here a while back and that's what came back.

First time I went was in Australia, on a complete whim. Somebody at work mentioned they were going, and one week later I found myself doing the exact same thing. Here's the shot from it (it's a fantastic location to do it...just look at that coastline...and the water is so beautifully blue in the Indian Ocean).

Landed right on the beach too. It was expensive as all hell, but everything else was being paid for by work while I was there, and it was my birthday, so I figured it was worth it.

I went again last year on the 4th of July, but this time just south of Boston.

I actually just started up a thread at work to try and get a larger group (about 8 people) to go with me this year. I want to continue the trend of going at least once a year. I might try to go a second time this year as well. My grandfather was in the Army Airborne and looked so happy and went straight into stories when he saw the video of my first jump. Still in good enough shape that a tandem could work out well for him.

Some people have tried to convince me to just go through the training and get my license. If I'm currently only planning on going 1-2 times a year, do you think that would be necessary or even a good idea?

Skydive Jurien Bay? That's where I went last week!! It was my first jump, and it was loving awesome. I just did it cos I was bored and wanted something to wake me up, completely on a whim. Now I'm thinking of going for my licence.

Thst was an awesome OP, op. Thanks so much for putting the time and effort into writing it. It was extremely informative. I'm still on the first page, can't wait to read the rest of it. 5'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

My Q-Face posted:

Don't look down, and trust your training.

On my tandem jump, I was so focused on aligning my feet in the door that I ended up looking straight down at the ground and had to close my eyes. I didn't open them again until we were out of the plane. If you do a tandem as your first, try to pay close attention to the instructions and trust the tandem master.

After I had learned to jump and to trust my training and equipment, it took somebody saying "so what if you fall out? That's what you came up here to do" for me to get over my nervousness of the open door.

That was exactly what I was thinking. "who cares if I fall out or the plane crashes or whatever, I have a parachute".
It took me three hours to drive to where I was going to jump, and I was trying not to throw up the whole way there. I was so nervous. But once I was there, signing in, watching the instructional video and getting strapped up, I was OK. Even in the plane on the way up, and sitting in the doorway looking down at the ground, I was OK.

It was an awesome rush.

• Locked thread