Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Good thread! Finished AAF back in Late October/Early November, finishing A License req's soon. Which means I need to start looking at buying my own rig :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Trembley / My Q-Face: Have either of you HALO jumped? There's a dz near me that offers them about once a month, so I'm planning on going in August or September.

Greyish Orange posted:

Fascinating thread, thank you for this. It's encouraged me to look up costs in the UK!

One question (I may have missed this somewhere) - how long does a skydive take? As in getting up there, any time hanging around, and the jump itself?

Thrasophius posted:

Thanks for replying. Like Greyish said how long does a jump take? More specifically how long from the jump to the ground because I've heard it takes a while to get into the air then it's only a minute or so to the ground which seems a little short for the effort.

Assuming you're doing Tandem - It depends on whether you're at a small or large drop zone, though you should be prepared to wait 1-3 hours to jump. Once you're in the plane you'll have a 5-10 minute flight. As for the Jump, you'll experience between 50-60 seconds of freefall dependent upon your exit altitude. You'll be under canopy for around 6 minutes. If you're planning to just do a tandem and never skydive again, shell out the extra :20bux: and get a video.

Freefall will seem much longer because you will be absolutely terrified and the adrenaline will be pumping. A common issue is that people stop breathing during freefall - try not to do this.

I'm also going to lay down a hard truth and say this is the most fun plane to jump from

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

mitztronic posted:

gently caress is that a rear exit plane? Are there any DZ in California that have one? I want to run down a ramp and jump out of an airplane SO BAD. I obviously wont do it until I'm more experienced but curious where I should go to get that experience

Yup! I did a couple AFF jumps out of it in September (my dz rented one for a weekend). It has a railbar on the top of the back which you can use to flip out of the back it's so much fun :swoon:

e: Oops, didn't see second question. I'm sure some in CA have them, but I'm in TN & have no clue about CA dropzones - I am fairly certain Elsinore has one.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

What are the oxygen levels like during the jump? I've suffered from aneamia so wondering if that would effect things at all.

I'm anemic and regularly jump @ 14.5k, I've never had any oxygen difficulties. My dz is @ an elevation of 756 ft.

haha him sticking his tongue out until he realizes what happen and his immediate facial reaction is amazing

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Dropping through a cloud is the coolest thing I have ever done. It was around 8k up, fell through it in about 3 seconds. Everything was grey - I could see my arms and that was about it. Get through it and I realize my entire body is damp. It was almost as awesome as my first jump.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

DreadNite posted:

Nice! What number jump was that for you? The first cloud I ever jumped through, it was around the pull altitude and I was freaking out about whether or not to pull above, inside or below it.. (I didn't know how deep the cloud was). So I ended up pulling inside it, which can be pretty dangerous, but it turned out ok..

I think this was during my 6th AFF Jump.

Thrasophius posted:

When dropping through the clouds do you not end up sopping wet and freezing cold from the air rushing past?

I was just damp / moist across my entire body, but yes I was also loving freezing afterwards. Warmed up after I was under canopy though.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

What are the kind of conditions where you'd say "gently caress that" to going on a jump? For example is there a wind speed threshold where you would cancel a jump?

AFF & Class A & B License are restricted to 15mph winds, not sure about Class C, D & E License. Complete cloud coverage & rain also puts jumps on hold.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I am so loving not current :toot: as long as the weather doesn't go to poo poo, refresher and coaching jump on Thursday to fix that.

My Q-Face posted:

And having missed my Undie-hundie (because I opted for a six-way jump with friends instead), I've ordered one of these for my 200th jump. Pictures may or may not follow in a couple of weeks.

I have one of these and it is so terribly loose (for reference: 6'2, 170lb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Current again :toot:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 22, 2014

• Locked thread