Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I did a tandem in Perth, WA a few years ago for my 20-something birthday and loved it.

Generally I'm a poo poo flyer, but once I was out of the plane I loved it. I think it actually cured my fear of flying, in that rickety-rear end prop plane with no sound deadening and stripped of any comforts.

It's definitely on my do-by-30 list to get my AFF.

I did have a question about packing your main and reserve canopies though - is there a special method of folding and rolling like parachute origami that makes sure it comes out just right?

You also mentioned two-out, where both canopies deploy - what's the risk of this? Do you have to detach the main or anything - what effect does it have if you have a 'skyhook' configuration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Additional questions now it's the morning here:

How long do you have to complete the 9 AFF stages? Is there a maximum time period between completing each stage before you have to start over?

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When you say that the reserve is behind the main, is that because the lines are longer on the reserve than the main canopy?

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wind-noise:

Do you wear ear-plugs or listen to music or anything?

Funny story when I did my tandem for my 24th birthday and I have stretched lobes. I forgot to take them out before the jump just in case they were blown out instead, so the entire freefall I had this odd flapping noise in my ears, and this insistent tapping on both sides of my head as the plugs slapped into me constantly. It was a little distracting.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dumb question time:

What happens in the extremely unlikely even you get a bird caught in your chute? Could/would it ever happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone able to give any insight into the licensing system used in Australia? I'm struggling to find information on the Australian Parachute Federation website that outlines it clearly.

From what I can see, you do the AFF (1-9) for your A license, then complete your B-Rel (?) for your B license, then a Star Crest to jump with more than 10 people, but beyond that all I can see is a reference to licenses A, B, C, D, E, F and no other information on say, Wingsuit, Canopy-Relative or anything.

Is there an infographic anyone may be able to provide similar to the British system chart in the OP specific to Australia?

• Locked thread