Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Awesome thread thanks for taking the time to put it together. I've not been skydiving myself though I plan to in future. For those experienced divers out there any tips on summoning the courage to actually jump the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Don't look down, and trust your training.

On my tandem jump, I was so focused on aligning my feet in the door that I ended up looking straight down at the ground and had to close my eyes. I didn't open them again until we were out of the plane. If you do a tandem as your first, try to pay close attention to the instructions and trust the tandem master.

After I had learned to jump and to trust my training and equipment, it took somebody saying "so what if you fall out? That's what you came up here to do" for me to get over my nervousness of the open door.

Thanks for replying. Like Greyish said how long does a jump take? More specifically how long from the jump to the ground because I've heard it takes a while to get into the air then it's only a minute or so to the ground which seems a little short for the effort.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

A common issue is that people stop breathing during freefall

How difficult is it to breathe during the free fall? I'd imagine with the speed the air is rushing past it's not as easy as usual.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

What are the oxygen levels like during the jump? I've suffered from aneamia so wondering if that would effect things at all.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Luneshot posted:

I've only jumped once (from 10,500 feet/about 3200m) but you can tell that the air gets thin. It's not difficult to breathe or anything, but it's definitely noticeable. For anemia or something like that, I would ask your doctor- it would not be good to pass out on the way up (or on the way down!).

Thankfully I'm not aneamic for the time being but my Iron levels do drop periodically. I'll probably get a blood test before I plan a jump make sure things are ok in that department because if the airs noticeably thinner then I'm not going to risk it.

What sort of heights are we talking where oxygen equipment is required?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DreadNite posted:

It depends on where you jump from. I started jumping in Colorado and could only go to about 10000 or so (although all my jumps there were at 4500ft) before needing oxygen tanks. (I've never jumped oxygen before, though)

In FL though where I've done most of my jumps, you can go pretty high without needing O2. (13500 is standard)

Oh so oxygen requirements depend on location got it.

What happens if, as mentioned in the OP, you end up with your main and reserve chute out at once, whats the usual course of action in that situation?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

mitztronic posted:

It depends on how they are flying and if you can see sky between them. I don't want to get into all the possible scenarios and what you do, but to answer your question well enough if there is a gap between the two parachutes you may want to release your main. You DO NOT want to release your main unless you are completely sure it will break free without tangling with your reserve, resulting in your death.

In more cases than not, you can land a dual chute, even without control ability because there is enough surface area above your head that your descent won't break your legs.

How easy is it to release a main by accident? I mean it has to be easy to release in case of emergency but does that make it easy to accidentally throw off your main chute?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

mitztronic posted:

Oops just realized I used the wrong term, I should have said 'cutaway', because release is what you do during deployment. But moving on:

By accident? not really likely/possible, you have a pull a fairly secured handle. As always, if your gear isn't in order it can indeed happen, but that's why you always check your gear.

I've never heard of this happening but I'm sure it has at some point in the past.

Ah that's good to hear because knowing my luck I'd be the unlucky sod that releases his main and reserve. Sky diving has always been a pipe-dream of mine but reading through the thread with all this information I think I'll go give it a shot once I have some funds behind me.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Before I think you used it to mean cut-away? For what it's worth, you can't cut away your reserve ;)

Well that's good to hear at least that stops my concerns about being the unlucky one haha. That video is exactly what I was afraid of happening to me but if you can't cut away the reserve then that's good.

I'm anemic and regularly jump @ 14.5k, I've never had any oxygen difficulties. My dz is @ an elevation of 756 ft.

I'll still get the doctors opinion to be safe but it's nice knowing that there are people with aneamia that do jump.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

When dropping through the clouds do you not end up sopping wet and freezing cold from the air rushing past?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

I think this was during my 6th AFF Jump.

I was just damp / moist across my entire body, but yes I was also loving freezing afterwards. Warmed up after I was under canopy though.

My Q-Face posted:

Not sopping wet, but definitely cold. Especially in the winter time. The last time I jumped in a cloud, I came out with white spots of ice all over the front of my jumpsuit. I've had a fair few cloud jumps, it was cool the first few times, but after falling through 2000 meters of complete white-out cloud once though, I'd just as soon avoid it in the future.

What are the kind of conditions where you'd say "gently caress that" to going on a jump? For example is there a wind speed threshold where you would cancel a jump?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DreadNite posted:

you're going to be landing at about 45mph... Can you outrun that? :D

Very true I never thought of it that way. drat just thinking about it that's pretty mild weather. So you have to pretty much look for the perfect sunny clear sky day for a jump then?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

SinJin posted:

Not at all. Personally, I don't jump on days when the air is turbulent. Steady winds are a non-issue if you're in control of your situation. Ever watch the tree tops? If they are kinda shaking around I don't jump or if I see other jumpers' canopies shaking around and flexing. Most DZs will have wind speed limits and ground everyone based on wind speed and skill level.

I've seen turbulent air slam jumpers into the ground far too many times. Falling 20 feet to the ground takes the fun out of jumping.

Jumping "unintentionally" through clouds is awesome. During days with a heavy and solid cloud layer, we will resort to doing "hop 'n pops" from just under the cloud base. Well, as long as we can get above minimum opening altitude.

I presume a hop 'n pop is opening the chute once you clear the clouds? I see, so steady weather isn't as much of a problem given you have the training it's when it's more sporadic like wind gusts that are the problem.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Normal winds above 20kts are generally not fun, I've caught a 25kt+ tail wind which sucked. I opened about 600m west of the landing area and in the process of doing post-opening housekeeping (that is; stowing the slider, loosening the chest strap, leaning back and sitting in the leg-straps, and pulling the brakes) which took less than 30 seconds, I was 400m east of it. I was blown a full kilometer from my opening point before I even had full control of the canopy. I couldn't make any headway to get back to the holding area, and had to fly a bad pattern, entering my cross-wind leg early and at an angle. Fortunately the winds died at 150 feet, so I was able to make it, but I almost didn't.

Intermittent but strong gusting winds are really bad, winds that are not stable from a single direction on the ground are bad, winds that shift dramatically at different altitudes can be a pain if you don't spot properly for them, really strong winds at higher altitudes (like, if you can see the clouds at 10000+ moving fairly quickly), cloud ceilings below 2000 ft, any real possibility of precipitation, complete cloud cover where you can't see any blue (unless the clouds are fairly stationary and above 8000ft for hop-and-pops, and 15000ft for freefall jumps).

Best bet is if your DZ has on-the-ball manifest staff, they'll tell you when conditions are good, marginal, or poor. Some places put a minimum jump limit on with certain conditions. When you have low numbers, it sucks to watch people with higher numbers going. I know when I had <50 jumps, I was always anxious for the limits to come off and wanted to get enough jumps to jump despite the limits. Once I surpassed the 50 and 100 jump limits, I realized that if a 100+ limit was thrown on, I wasn't so anxious to get into the air anymore.

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

A Hop-and-Pop is also called a "clear and pull", essentially deploying your main as soon as you've cleared the aircraft. It's used for emergency bail-out practice at altitudes under 5000ft, or for Canopy Piloting exercises.

Ah so that's a hop 'n pop thanks. You mentioned having to spot winds shifting dramatically at different altitudes how do you go about that? Do you have to observe the cloud movement like you said you do sometimes at 10000+. What kind of areas do you generally jump in? I understand it's obviously going to be fields but does the area have to have a minimum space to allow for errors/emergencies like when you where blown 1km off the landing point.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

When it comes to the jump being cancelled what happens then is your money held by the company and the jump set for another date or do you get a refund to come back in your own time?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

IMJack posted:

Anyway, I'm the guy who failed at the sport and didn't have the good sense to die in the process. Feel free to laugh at me.

You have to think of it this way. You're the guy who actually had the balls to give it a shot in the first place. As Arnold Schwarzenegger said "don't be afraid to fail, you can't always win but don't be afraid of making decisions".

What is the maximum weight you are allowed to be before they say you're too heavy to go on a jump?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

I've never worn them, but I learned to leave my helmet on until the last few thousand feet. I only take it off to put my goggles on at the two minute call. It's tight fitting enough to block out the engine noise.

How often do you find your ears popping because of the rapid descent or do you prepare for that somehow?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

What piece of equipment is it that's beeping in the beginning of the video?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Is there any reason you choose a particular field to land in considering how many there are in one picture or is it simply a matter of permission? I assume you have a tracker on your reserve if you're having to try and find it from time to time?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

How often are you able to land in the designated field? It's all well and good saying here is where you should land, but with unpredictable factors like the wind I imagine it's easier said than done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems much easier to stay on course than I anticipated.

mitztronic posted:

Well poo poo, after Monday I won't be current anymore. I have to move on Saturday, and they just updated the weather to say it will be cloudy and possibly raining on Sunday. I'd go tomorrow but it's supposed to be raining tomorrow.

Which I guess brings up the question, once I am not current, do I just have to do a jump with a USPA instructor and they can clear me? Is there anything else I'd need to do?

I assume this will cost me a bit of money, too. :/

Still look on the bright side, at least you'll still be able to jump, just a little less often from the sounds of it. Better some than none at all.

• Locked thread