Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

What are the oxygen levels like during the jump? I've suffered from aneamia so wondering if that would effect things at all.

It depends on where you jump from. I started jumping in Colorado and could only go to about 10000 or so (although all my jumps there were at 4500ft) before needing oxygen tanks. (I've never jumped oxygen before, though)

In FL though where I've done most of my jumps, you can go pretty high without needing O2. (13500 is standard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

Ah that's good to hear because knowing my luck I'd be the unlucky sod that releases his main and reserve. Sky diving has always been a pipe-dream of mine but reading through the thread with all this information I think I'll go give it a shot once I have some funds behind me.

Unless you have a weird malfunction, it's pretty hard to release your reserve and main at the same time. Lots (if not all) of parachutes are rigged so that when you pull your reserve, your main gets cutaway. That's why you have a cutaway handle, then your reserve handle to follow. You'd have to pull your main, then reserve (because something was going wrong ofc) without pulling the fat red handle on your right first.

But to be honest, flying two parachutes isn't nearly as bad as some malfunctions. Just like mitz said above, you've got so much surface area that you'll float down to safety.. Miss the dropzone? Who cares, just don't hit water/powerlines/buildings/trees and you're golden! You've got two loving parachutes open for God sakes, the workers at the DZ are going to send a truck out to find your rear end anyways.

Now if you've got a streamer, bag-lock, or horseshoe... That's when the poo poo button comes out after about three or so seconds of not being able to fix it. Cutaway, Reserve, and you're good. (Hopefully you can find your main intact, because they're not cheap)

DreadNite fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 18, 2014

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

DSauer posted:

Is it possible to gain altitude while under the canopy if you fly into a thermal or is the glide ratio to poor for that to work?

Yes totally possible! But this is also why you usually don't jump when the winds are above a certain speed at high altitudes (Besides getting carried away from the DZ!). On some of my first jumps I remember hitting a few thermals and staying at the same altitude for a few minutes before finally coming down. (This was before I realized 360s would have fixed the problem... But I wasn't complaining :cheeky:)

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Dropping through a cloud is the coolest thing I have ever done. It was around 8k up, fell through it in about 3 seconds. Everything was grey - I could see my arms and that was about it. Get through it and I realize my entire body is damp. It was almost as awesome as my first jump.

Nice! What number jump was that for you? The first cloud I ever jumped through, it was around the pull altitude and I was freaking out about whether or not to pull above, inside or below it.. (I didn't know how deep the cloud was). So I ended up pulling inside it, which can be pretty dangerous, but it turned out ok..

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

What are the kind of conditions where you'd say "gently caress that" to going on a jump? For example is there a wind speed threshold where you would cancel a jump?

Well if you think about it this way, standard AFF parachutes fly at about 20mph, and you want to land as nicely and smoothly possible. If you've got winds upwards of 20-25mph (or even gusts that large) and you find yourself having to land downwind for some crazy reason, you're going to be landing at about 45mph... Can you outrun that? :D

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

That's really well said. I've never heard that before, I like it.

My Q-Face posted:

You can learn to spot things that way, so if you're staying near the DZ, you can decide for yourself whether to bother going down

If you look up in the sky and you see either 1) 100% cloud cover or 2) 0% cloud cover, the conditions at your local DZ probably aren't very good. When I started jumping I would always fly down to the DZ when I saw blue sky only to realize there's no clouds because the 20+ mph winds all blew them away. Scattered clouds is usually a good indication that you may have a decent day to jump.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Look around at the other people during the ride to altitude and force yourself to smile at them. Even if it's the most awkwardly forced smile ever. Everyone will understand why, and most will smile back or make funny faces, or just close their eyes and go back to listening their music. At some point, forcing yourself to smile, try to think of something really funny and you'll find yourself relaxing a bit. It doesn't necessarily work thinking of something funny without first forcing the smile.

This is probably the most accurate statement about getting rid of butterflies that i've ever heard.

Just remembering this about the rides to altitude make me want to get back into jumping so bad. Things like this prove it's an exhilarating experience that not many people share.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

How often do you find your ears popping because of the rapid descent or do you prepare for that somehow?

Some people's ears pop a lot when skydiving and some don't. For me, it has only happened a couple times and I just cleared it like you would an airplane descent or underwater equalize.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
http://www.skydivemag.com/article/fly-it-forward

Pretty cool stuff. Today may have been the first day they ran the full 222-way for the world record, but they haven't posted about it yet.

Have any of you been a part of big-ways, 50+? Stories!

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

I think that bird has seen better days... Sweet video link.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

How often are you able to land in the designated field? It's all well and good saying here is where you should land, but with unpredictable factors like the wind I imagine it's easier said than done.

I landed outside the DZ once and, although the winds were pretty bad, it was my fault. It was a few jumps after my AFF graduation jump and the first time I was the last one out of the aircraft. As such, I hesitated about 5 seconds and jumped late so I pulled my chute just downwind of the DZ on a heavy winds day. I tried to get upwind, but the winds were ~20kts and I was coming down on the DZ hangars. I ended up having to turn downwind and land at the far end of the runway.

The point is though, I landed safe despite not being able to drop in the planned location. When in doubt, choose the safest option and figure out the rest later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Managed to have work pull me away from Skydiving for a couple of weeks, so I spent last weekend catching up, then with weather this weekend, I managed no jumps. I'm sitting at 195 now. Might get a new plan for #200, as my banana-hammock arrived and even at 6' 190lbs, the one I ordered is a horrible fit.

Any thoughts for ever getting a wing suit, or no? Not sure what the requirements are exactly, but was always told 200 minimum jumps is recommended.

• Locked thread