Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nyquil
May 1, 2003

Sweet! I jumped twice this year. First time in Moab, Utah at sunset... incredible view of Canyonlands, Arches National Park, and the Colorado River. Second time I jumped was over the Hamptons, which was really cool too but pretty frigid in November.

It didn't feel like a macho thrill at all, either -- maybe it had something to do with the location, but it felt weirdly deep and for about a week after, I was in this malaise like I had eaten a barrel of ecstasy and all I wanted to do is go jump out again.

Also, I noticed some parallels to stage fright/performance anxiety: I'm a musician and generally the time I get most nervous is waiting around in the green room, by the stage door, etc., but mixed with moments of total calm; then once I'm out on stage everything is fine. Skydiving felt pretty much identical, where the most nerve-wracking moments were waiting in the hangar, flip-flopping on the ride up (yes! lets do this!! ...gently caress!! what am i doing!!), when the guy says "two minutes", and so on. But then when you get thrown out, everything is amazing.

edit: I would really love to get certified in the next couple years too. I'm pretty broke most of the time but my line of work brings me to some really awesome places for free, domestic and international, so it'd be sweet way to really see the places I go to.

question: are the higher altitude jumps mostly a gimmick? The one's from 18,000 + oxygen or whatever?

nyquil fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread