Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I graduated my AFF on Saturday and the only thing I didn't get to was the delta. I tried on my last jump around 8000ft and just lost all my stability and then was around 7000 so made the call to just enjoy that last few thousand so I could pull stable. My instructor applauded this decision.

I have a ton of questions but this OP is INSANE and might answer a bunch of them.

I have 9 jumps right now, plan to do 3 on Saturday (first solo, then some heading control, and then practice some acrobatics).

I did my AFF in Davis, CA at Skydance. The DZ in Hollister is half the distance as Skydance is, but I love it. I've heard the gear in Hollister isnt that good so I'm slightly nervous to jump there, just because I am so inexperienced I want a rig I can trust. I love the 240 I've been using at Skydance and it only has around 100 jumps.

quote:

Thanks for replying. Like Greyish said how long does a jump take? More specifically how long from the jump to the ground because I've heard it takes a while to get into the air then it's only a minute or so to the ground which seems a little short for the effort.

Depending on the plane it can take 10-25 minutes to get to altitude (13,500). Once you're out its about 60 seconds for freefall (depending on what altitude they pull), and then about a minute per 1000 feet under canopy (for a solo jumper)... i'm not sure how different the decent time is for a tandem, it all depends on the weight loading of the canopy.

Total time is around 5-7 minutes once you exit the plane, depending on pull altitude.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I'm also going to lay down a hard truth and say this is the most fun plane to jump from

gently caress is that a rear exit plane? Are there any DZ in California that have one? I want to run down a ramp and jump out of an airplane SO BAD. I obviously wont do it until I'm more experienced but curious where I should go to get that experience

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Good thread! Finished AAF back in Late October/Early November, finishing A License req's soon. Which means I need to start looking at buying my own rig :suicide:

Shouldnt you wait until a minimum of 40-70 jumps before getting your own rig? even if its used, isnt it a bit soon to be going all in? that is what my DZ recommended to me anyways. Everyone has different income levels they can spend on this, so that changes it significantly

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
By the way, this is what it's all about

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

quote:

Why would anybody jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

There is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. All airplanes are an accident waiting to happen ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Parachuting-Skydivers-Handbook-Dan-Poynter/dp/1568601417

edit:

High pull @ Sunset @ Elsinore. Taken today (I think?)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 11, 2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Mux posted:

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Hollister has bad gear? I'm not saying you're wrong in anyway, but I've made 22 jumps there, and haven't had any issues with gear. The containers are student containers, but I'm pretty sure they're all Infinity containers with a decent variety of canopy options including Sabres, Specters, etc. in a several different sizes starting at 265 going down to 135(iirc?). The catch is that my experience is a total of 22 jumps in the past 2 weeks. But if you gave more specifics as to why you think their "gear isn't that good", I might be able to give you honest, no bullshit answers on whether what you think/heard is true/false.

The thing that I trust the most are the instructors there. Most, if not all, are cream of the crop dudes who know what they're talking about. I've had a lot of QA sessions with them over the past few weekends. A lot of those talks had to do with gear in general, as well as the gear at the DZ. I'm really looking forward to getting my own rig eventually and not having to deal with those adjustable student containers anymore. Also, the other really cool part about Hollister is you can find an instructor that specializes in almost every discipline from swooping to base wingsuit proxying. You can see Scotty Bob and a few of the other instructors in this video. It's pretty cool to watch even if you don't end up wanting to jump there.

Awesome, that makes me feel much better. I don't think that, in case it wasn't clear, it was second hand from someone at skydance that I trust. They hadn't actually ever jumped from Hollister themselves but had heard from an ex rigger from Hollister that their gear wasn't as in as good condition as skydance.

Do you jump at Hollister? I want to get a few more jumps under my belt before trying a new DZ. Would be cool to meet up with a goon at Hollister so I'd know someone :) I live in the south bay and can't keep justifying driving 4 hours round trip up to Davis, as much as I love it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Thrasophius posted:

How difficult is it to breathe during the free fall? I'd imagine with the speed the air is rushing past it's not as easy as usual.

It's not difficult at all. The most difficult part is dealing with all the adrenaline and what that means to your breathing.

Some people get sensory overload and can't breathe/feel like they can't breath. My first tandem I experienced it, but didnt have any issues on my first AFF jump. I was in a better mindset.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Mux posted:

Also, don't pay attention to their Yelp reviews. They filtered out my review, as well as several others that I know for Hollister. Most are tandem reviews of impatient chucklefucks anyway. Yelp is poo poo and should have a Yelp entry that I can give a 1 star review to for being complete shitlords.

Yelp actually will often filter your reviews if you're 1) a new user, 2) don't review often, 3) don't use yelp often. They do this to prevent fake accounts from posting fake reviews. I've been a yelp user for several years and didn't start doing reviews until after I already had hundreds of check-ins and quick tips and so forth, so I never experienced this.

I'm actually not too worried about Hollister. I just know Lodi is poo poo and I will NOT jump there without my own rig, so not for another year or two probably. I know how to read yelp reviews and filter garbage reviews. There are a lot of people that are so obviously incredibly rude when they go to DZ's and then they are surprised when they are treated poorly. You just gotta ignore those :)

quote:

I would love to meetup and Goondive from planes with you! I'll shoot you a PM. I think it would be really cool to eventually plan a Goon Boogie at some point in the future. :)

So in! if it doesnt work out for later this month, for sure in the future. Where do you live? Central cali?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

crowtribe posted:

Additional questions now it's the morning here:

How long do you have to complete the 9 AFF stages? Is there a maximum time period between completing each stage before you have to start over?

As a beginning, you have to jump at least once every 30 days. I had to wait two weeks between my E1 (AFF6) and E2 (AFF7) due to the weather in California. But we needed that rain :)

As you progress in certifications, the minimum jump time decreases to 60 (A), 90 (B), and then 6 months (C/D). If you dont jump that often you need to make a jump with a USPA instructor to show you still know what you're doing

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

God Over Djinn posted:

I have a sinus condition that makes it hard (sometimes impossible) to clear my ears when the air pressure changes. I spend a fair bit of time on airplanes, but I've always found it uncomfortable, and I need to concentrate and put some deliberate effort in if I want to get my ears to pop (and I've damaged an eardrum before on a descent where I couldn't respond to a pressure change). Would I ever be able to skydive? I don't have a good idea of how much more dramatic of a pressure change it is than going down in an airplane, or a fast elevator.

Talk to your doctor about this. I wouldn't even ask a USPA instructor or anything, that is straight up a medical question and the only person you should trust is your doctor.

You will drop nearly 10k feet in a minute, it does mess with your ear pressure. I've always been able to use the valsalva maneuver and never have had an issue with pressurization (been flying in small planes since I was a kid, for what it's worth, so I have a lot of experience in airplanes)

andrew smash posted:

Do any of you guys know anything about hang gliders?

I did some very, very light reading on hand gliders and have watched some amazing youtube videos. I'd like to try it at some point in my life, but one expensive hobby at a time. It's pretty much a completely different sport, the only thing they really share in common is the use of a glider-craft, but comparing a hangglider to a parachute is like comparing a prop plane to a jet.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 12, 2014

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Thrasophius posted:

What happens if, as mentioned in the OP, you end up with your main and reserve chute out at once, whats the usual course of action in that situation?

It depends on how they are flying and if you can see sky between them. I don't want to get into all the possible scenarios and what you do, but to answer your question well enough if there is a gap between the two parachutes you may want to release your main. You DO NOT want to release your main unless you are completely sure it will break free without tangling with your reserve, resulting in your death.

In more cases than not, you can land a dual chute, even without control ability because there is enough surface area above your head that your descent won't break your legs.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Thrasophius posted:

How easy is it to release a main by accident?

Oops just realized I used the wrong term, I should have said 'cutaway', because release is what you do during deployment. But moving on:

By accident? not really likely/possible, you have a pull a fairly secured handle. As always, if your gear isn't in order it can indeed happen, but that's why you always check your gear.

I've never heard of this happening but I'm sure it has at some point in the past.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
re: ear pressurization

You learn this during pilot training: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

I do it after I'm under canopy

re: max wind conditions

the dropzone I did my AFF at shuts down the entire airport for a minimum 1 hour at 25 MPH

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Did my first *real* solo on Friday @ Hollister. Did two more after that.

The third jump was the last load of the day, right around sunset. Decided to do a high pull (8000). Because it was the last load the pilot went a little above 16,000, it was definitly below freezing. You could tell the oxygen was starting to get a tiny bit thing, I've never been able to see my own breath so clearly. I didnt have any gloves on and thought I was going to freeze into a brick during freefall.

Pulled at 8, had a toggle line hosed up with some of the lines on my canopy (first malfunction I've had like that), made sure I had control and then was able to fix it after a minute or so, was a really weird twist. Def due to the pack job.

Sunset high pulls though. Extremely beautiful. Recommend.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Well poo poo, after Monday I won't be current anymore. I have to move on Saturday, and they just updated the weather to say it will be cloudy and possibly raining on Sunday. I'd go tomorrow but it's supposed to be raining tomorrow.

Which I guess brings up the question, once I am not current, do I just have to do a jump with a USPA instructor and they can clear me? Is there anything else I'd need to do?

I assume this will cost me a bit of money, too. :/

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I cant even imagine jumping a 120, I have only jumped 240 and 230 (which are both really slow and I'd like to downgrade soon). I've had 3 standup landings on 11 solo jumps jumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Thanks to both of you so much for your replies. I really love this sport and my life is just so crazy lately that I haven't been able to take trips to the dz as much as I'd like.

I am realllly looking forward to a canopy course. Being under canopy is one of my favorite parts of the dive and I still don't feel comfortable enough under it to really do crazy stuff, but I'm okay with taking my progression slow.

I had to move out of my apartment yesterday and I minorly injured my back so I'm going to pass on the skydiving today, although it's mostly cloudy so I might have not been able to jump anyways.

Super excited for the next time I get to head out to Hollister, and maybe I'll be finally able to meet Mux :)

• Locked thread